Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #2021
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I think it's worth noting that 8.3 came out last week, and BfA feels a lot better. Not quite Legion 7.3 good but much closer than previously.

Over BfA launch, there are now 5 raids, 12 dungeons, 2 new expanded gear mechanics (HoA Essences and Corruption), 10 zones (2x daily tiers), a new Daily that's actually interesting (Visions of N'Zoth) and comes with a leveling mechanic, expanded War Campaign, heroic Warfronts, etc.
I don't doubt it's better now. It's clear Blizzard has tried really hard to make Azerite and the Heart of Azeroth work better for players. It's simply too late for me to be interested. I had the same problem with Cataclysm and Warlords of Draenor. I was fine going through leveling but had zero interest in continuing beyond that point. Usually I think it's because the setting didn't interest me enough. Maybe it's because the previous expansions (Wrath, Pandaria, Legion) I went too hard on and was burning out on the game. Either way, at this point I just watch the story bits on Youtube and go "yeah that's cool" and move on.

I'm also still a little annoyed that Azshara didn't get a bigger stage and was relegated to being a pawn of N'Zoth for a mid-expansion patch, given her history in the lore of Warcraft. I'm also pretty tired of forced faction conflict.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #2022
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to get this-

chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #2023
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, the scope and scale are absolutely bonkers. If it delivers on it's promises, it's absolutely going to be the most impressive technical achievement in gaming to date.

That being said, without being a realistic flight sim or aviation enthusiast (to which I'm sure it would be amazing), I can't say it actually looks particularly fun to play to the layman gamer.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #2024
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Looks super impressive and I hope it can run on mid-tier PCs!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #2025
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I can't say it actually looks particularly fun to play to the layman gamer.
Quite right. This would cater to a pretty small, hardcore group of gamers. Pilot wannabe's are a pretty small group but take it pretty seriously. I'd imagine real pilots would even get something out of this. But I don't think this would be your typical keyboard/mouse kinda game although I'm sure it would play fine like that. Anyone buying this is likely also buying the yoke/throttle sets to mount to their desks.

It's in the same vein as the racing purists that spend all the money on the seat and steering wheel for the ultra realistic racing sims.

I do wonder how much development costed for this as I'd imagine the actual market for it would be quite small. Wonder if they'd ever recoup costs.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #2026
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Quite right. This would cater to a pretty small, hardcore group of gamers. Pilot wannabe's are a pretty small group but take it pretty seriously. I'd imagine real pilots would even get something out of this. But I don't think this would be your typical keyboard/mouse kinda game although I'm sure it would play fine like that. Anyone buying this is likely also buying the yoke/throttle sets to mount to their desks.

It's in the same vein as the racing purists that spend all the money on the seat and steering wheel for the ultra realistic racing sims.

I do wonder how much development costed for this as I'd imagine the actual market for it would be quite small. Wonder if they'd ever recoup costs.
My understanding is they almost do it as a technical exercise, but I do wonder if any real serious content will essentially be DLC. That's always been a large part of flight sims but in the past it's usually been from third parties (like this Airbus A320 for Xplane for $90 https://store.x-plane.org/A320-Ultimate_p_688.html) but a lot are beginning to make it a part of their own business model. As the owner of over $500 of extra planes and maps in DCS, I can say they do make a lot of money this way
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #2027
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

Considering that this is going to be on Game Pass, I'd wager Microsoft will be implementing a casual mode for people who just want to explore the map

What is exciting to me is the next step after Flight Simulator. Assuming the technology works as expected and Microsoft keeps improving it, they could make Google street view obsolete if they can get enough detail for ground level exploration. Being able to walk or drive around a highly accurate 3D representation of the planet would be incredibly useful for things like house hunting, vacation planning, city planning, architecture, etc
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #2028
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Major voice actors in this.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:22 AM   #2029
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Major voice actors in this.

Great voice actor, but he's terrible at the game...
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #2030
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dug out my XBone last night. It's been sitting idle for some time. Also it's been some time since I last bought an NHL game for it. I was at game traders at lunch and they have NHL19 (used) for $20 and NHL 20 for $80.

Any compelling reason to buy NHL 20 over 19 or is 19 just fine?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #2031
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Any updated rumours on PS5 price or unveiling? I saw one site speculating February 12 as the unveiling. I feel like if that was it we would be hearing a lot more buzz.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #2032
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Any updated rumours on PS5 price or unveiling? I saw one site speculating February 12 as the unveiling. I feel like if that was it we would be hearing a lot more buzz.
Most reliably you could say probably $500 (US) and unveiling probably soon (like next 6 weeks).

But Sony has been weird for a while, so who knows.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #2033
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The rumours I see online mostly say it will be $500 USD. Which is not surprising and sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #2034
jayswin

Exp:

Okay, so probably about $665CDN. Do they pretty much stay in line with the CDN dollar when pricing our units or do they soften the blow a bit to sell more up here?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #2035
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dug out my XBone last night. It's been sitting idle for some time. Also it's been some time since I last bought an NHL game for it. I was at game traders at lunch and they have NHL19 (used) for $20 and NHL 20 for $80.

Any compelling reason to buy NHL 20 over 19 or is 19 just fine?

Unless you care about having the most current rosters and a few minor updates, it's not worth it to spend an extra $60 on 20 IMO.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 10:20 PM   #2036
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The rumours I see online mostly say it will be $500 USD. Which is not surprising and sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
I can't see a $665 console selling that well
Old 02-06-2020, 05:18 AM   #2037
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I can't see a $665 console selling that well
Yeah, that'll likely cut out a fair chunk of potential Canadian buyers. It'll make a lot more just wait for the first price drop and a bigger game catalogue up here.

I seem to recall back in the 90's/early 2000's when our dollar was also pretty bad at times, the standard seemed to be a $100 increase for Canadians, rather than a direct conversion of the dollar. Could be misremembering.

$599 would be a doable sell here, if not tough to swallow. Once you're closing in on $700 before a second controller or any games you're really starting to price out a big chunk of consumers.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:18 AM   #2038
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, so probably about $665CDN. Do they pretty much stay in line with the CDN dollar when pricing our units or do they soften the blow a bit to sell more up here?
We're a tiny market, so expect that the pricing will stay roughly with exchange.

And personally, I can't see myself rushing out to pay $660 for a PS5.

...At least not until Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and GTA VI come out.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #2039
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wow or FFXIV? Gun to your head.
Did you guys settle on a game?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #2040
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't see them going over $599 CDN. FOr example, the Xbox One X retails at $499 US, but is $599 CDN. Seems to be the limit here.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: