Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2021, 12:38 AM   #1181
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
AC in Calgary lol come on

Good for a week a year
We installed a heat extraction fan about 10yrs back. Consumes about the same as a typical incandescent 100W bulb. Best “poor mans AC” ever.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #1182
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
We installed a heat extraction fan about 10yrs back. Consumes about the same as a typical incandescent 100W bulb. Best “poor mans AC” ever.
Never heard of that. Is it integrated with your ductwork, or is it a portable unit type of deal?

Very interested.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #1183
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Never heard of that. Is it integrated with your ductwork, or is it a portable unit type of deal?

Very interested.
Installation company was Canada Whole Home Fans (not around anymore) and done in 2009, however I understand these are frequently used out east and parts of the USA.

Think of it as a super-sized bathroom fan, except that it is installed at the top of our stairs in the ceiling. Internally you just see some light plastic grating and can kinda see the louvres inside if you look hard enough, and beyond that I can't recall if there are 2 large fans or 4 smaller ones. Dimension is approx 20"x 30". The fan "sucks" in the air from inside the house and discharges into the attic space. Requirements include: having adequate flow of external air into the house, and more than adequate attic ventilation (which might not exist in older homes).
Adequate flow... so you open a door, or window, or combination thereof. You must *not* operated without opening an external source. For obvious reasons it needs to be cooler outside than inside... so the cool air is "sucked" into the house thereby displacing the hot air which is exhausted into your attic. At some point the attic space vents through the eaves and also then gets cooled. If we want the whole house cooled we'll open the door or window furthest away from the fan. At bedtime we open our window and the junior(s) open theirs... we use either the 2 or 4 hour timer, and high or low speed, and it just shuts off automatically and closes the louvres. Yes it is possible to actually get too cold. Also works well if you over-cook something on the stove and make the house stink.

Only problem that has occurred was we had our home humidity too high for a few years and in the harshest times of winter we had condensation form on the fan frame. Also some of the attic insulation got pushed away too far from the device so we got some slight browning on the ceiling within a couple inches perimeter.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #1184
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

New personal best at the gym last night - deadlift bumped up to 315lbs. Feeling fairly powerful as of now.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #1185
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That my wife graduated today with her degree in English. She is the first person in her family to graduate high school, get a university certificate, and now her bachelors degree with honours. Seeing how hard she worked, and through everything working 2 jobs, being a mother to 3 children, 1 of which has special needs. Just makes my heart full today.
ooogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #1186
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogabooga View Post
That my wife graduated today with her degree in English. She is the first person in her family to graduate high school, get a university certificate, and now her bachelors degree with honours. Seeing how hard she worked, and through everything working 2 jobs, being a mother to 3 children, 1 of which has special needs. Just makes my heart full today.
Takes a huge amount of support for her also to make that happen. Truly a team effort!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #1187
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, super un-remarkable, but my story about trimming my grass:
I have an old gas-powered string trimmer that I had a tonne of trouble with. It seemed like if I somehow managed to get it to work for a bit, I could maybe get it to work for 3-4 minutes before it would peter out. After it petered out, I would always have half of of the grass untrimmed, and I hate leaving a job uncompleted. I also had run out of line and bought 280 Ft of string, and then found out that this particular stuff would not dispense properly from the head, so I would have to take it apart manually and feed it through each and every time the string broke. I would basically spend 95-97% of my time playing with it trying to get it work, and 3-5% of my time actually trimming.

Just got a Dewalt 20v trimmer, and oh my goodness, what a difference. After struggling hard with that old trimmer for the last 2 years, this thing is amazing.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krynski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #1188
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing this video makes me really, really happy.

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #1189
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

In December I had to send a product to a manufacturer I work with in China for them to template. Whenever I send something abroad, I always include a bunch of Canadian treats as kind of a fun thing. With this package, I sent Cheezies, Mars Bar, Coffee Crisp, Bottlecaps and some other goodies like that. I figure it'd be neat for the guy on the other end to open the box and get to share some goodies with his friends. Anyway, I just received my product back and all my treats were in the box still. I guess the guy didn't feel right about taking the candy, or maybe thought I poisoned them or something? Idk. Either way, it's like December me bought May me a bunch of awesome candy and I've been gorging on it all week.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #1190
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally got to meet my neighbour's new dog today!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #1191
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
It's incredible how I can be really eloquent and well spoken one moment, then during a job interview turn into a bumbling, stammering mess who can't form a cohesive thought. I um and uh more than Justin Trudeau.
Previous post from April 22nd. Got the job Holy #### that makes me happy!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #1192
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Installation company was Canada Whole Home Fans (not around anymore) and done in 2009, however I understand these are frequently used out east and parts of the USA.

Think of it as a super-sized bathroom fan, except that it is installed at the top of our stairs in the ceiling. Internally you just see some light plastic grating and can kinda see the louvres inside if you look hard enough, and beyond that I can't recall if there are 2 large fans or 4 smaller ones. Dimension is approx 20"x 30". The fan "sucks" in the air from inside the house and discharges into the attic space. Requirements include: having adequate flow of external air into the house, and more than adequate attic ventilation (which might not exist in older homes).
Adequate flow... so you open a door, or window, or combination thereof. You must *not* operated without opening an external source. For obvious reasons it needs to be cooler outside than inside... so the cool air is "sucked" into the house thereby displacing the hot air which is exhausted into your attic. At some point the attic space vents through the eaves and also then gets cooled. If we want the whole house cooled we'll open the door or window furthest away from the fan. At bedtime we open our window and the junior(s) open theirs... we use either the 2 or 4 hour timer, and high or low speed, and it just shuts off automatically and closes the louvres. Yes it is possible to actually get too cold. Also works well if you over-cook something on the stove and make the house stink.

Only problem that has occurred was we had our home humidity too high for a few years and in the harshest times of winter we had condensation form on the fan frame. Also some of the attic insulation got pushed away too far from the device so we got some slight browning on the ceiling within a couple inches perimeter.
https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/jd...hoCumYQAvD_BwE

Is it something like this? I didn't know this was a thing, but it definitely makes sense since I turn on the bathroom fan at times to try and move hot air out. I was thinking of just nabbing a 10K BTU or higher portable AC unit, but this might work just as well/decently in tandem with that idea. Neat!

I wonder if I should give my electrician a call and jerry rig something like this in my own home (it swelters something fierce). Heck, it seems simple enough that I could just do it myself and use an extension cord to the nearest plug.

I was thinking I could do it for the summer only. I'd have it mounted into the panel that allows me into the attic. In the winter I could swap back to the regular wood panel cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
In December I had to send a product to a manufacturer I work with in China for them to template. Whenever I send something abroad, I always include a bunch of Canadian treats as kind of a fun thing. With this package, I sent Cheezies, Mars Bar, Coffee Crisp, Bottlecaps and some other goodies like that. I figure it'd be neat for the guy on the other end to open the box and get to share some goodies with his friends. Anyway, I just received my product back and all my treats were in the box still. I guess the guy didn't feel right about taking the candy, or maybe thought I poisoned them or something? Idk. Either way, it's like December me bought May me a bunch of awesome candy and I've been gorging on it all week.
Did you leave a note saying they could have the treats/explaining it's a cultural exchange of gifts and they are free to just keep the gifts, or they can feel free to exchange the gifts with something of what they perceive is equal value (and even suggest licorice type snacks)?

One of the cultural differences I've started noticing on occasion in China is that there's a huge concern about corruption. This started quite a bit more seriously about 5 years or more ago. I think it coincided with some internal news reports of certain politicians being arrested (and possibly executed?) due to corruption scandals. Some places will not accept even an extra $1 HKD or 1 Yuan as a "tip".
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #1193
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Do you have the same groggyness the next morning that comes from smoking weed to sleep?
I think it varies from person to person. I don't get groggy in the morning after smoking pot but I wake up in a fog after eating edibles.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 09:10 PM   #1194
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maldon Sea Salt.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #1195
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

wrmmh is we have new neighbours across the street.

now, don't get me wrong, the old neighbours weren't awful or anything - we just never really connected with them.
a little history on the house across the street... the guy built at the same time we did. his plan was for him and his wife to sell their place and move into the new house, but his wife decided she didn't want to move. instead of selling the house, they opted to rent it out and it's been like that for 15 years. like i mentioned earlier, the renters were fine (especially after reading in the gear grinder thread about the neighbours of other posters!!) but they never did any yard work at all.... well, that's not totally true... they did mow the lawn usually twice per summer. if they don't want to care for the yard that's fine (i get it - they are renting), but then the home owner should have up-ed their rent to cover the cost of a yard maintenance company to do it (and for the record, the home owner never increased the rent in 15 years - they were still only paying $1700/month for a 3 level house - i'd guess at least 3500 sq. ft). having the house across the street looking like a dump sucks - but there's nothing we could do about it.
since the new people moved in i've seen a "yard company" truck out front twice as they figure out what they can do to start tackling the condition of the yard.
we've chatted with the new owners a few times already (they moved in last weekend). they are suuuuper nice people, really down to earth, their kids are the same ages as ours (although at different schools), the husband is HUGE into sports - especially hockey - so that's going to a lot of fun.... even though they are canuck fans! ha! ha!

we're can't wait for them to get settled in and are really looking forward to getting to know them more
Old 05-19-2021, 07:15 PM   #1196
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Sunset Drive-In Ready To Go

Quote:
If the changing COVID rules are driving you crazy think about how operators of High River's Sunset Drive-In feel.

They, and the rest of Alberta heard during Monday's news conference drive-ins will be able to go ahead now according to Alberta Health Services.

Great news for Roger Hamel and the folks at the Sunset Drive-In.

"It's fantastic news for us, we're as excited as can be, we have gotten an incredible response on our website and social media already, so we're looking forward to going ahead, our next scheduled dates are May 28 and 29, and we're just feeling really good about it and we're getting a very positive response," Hamel says.
Quote:
Hamel says they had planned from the start for an opening weekend on May 14 and 15 and then taking the long weekend off because a lot of people go away that weekend anyway.

They'll host their next movies on May 28 and 29, 2021 and pretty much every weekend after that.
https://www.highriveronline.com/loca...in-ready-to-go
Old 05-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #1197
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The tenacity of my youngest makes me happy. He is graduating HS this year and is on the grad committee. The grad ceremony they have been steered into by administration is going to be a massive disappointment, no chance to interact with peers, no parents, closed circuit video. Which is consistent with the current restrictions. The kids are understandably not happy, and are questioning why they can't move it to later in June when there may be a chance to have less restrictions. Many of the other HS are moving theirs, Kenney even mentioned that he endorses this strategy to give kids a better chance at a better graduation.

My kid has taken the lead to get this addressed. Administration threw up their hands and said there is nothing they can do, it is all from the district leadership. So my kid wrote a letter to the district leadership and cc'd the area trustee. He is not taking anyone's BS and is holding people accountable to treat all schools the same. He's been professional and unemotional about it, but he is showing a real knack for rallying his fellow students and really pushing the issue in a respectful way.

It's just so amazing to see the values and coaching you try to give the kids having a small influence in the adults they are becoming.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #1198
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giving an important presentation at work and it going well makes me happy.

Holy moly What a relief.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #1199
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sour Skittles.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #1200
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Giving an important presentation at work and it going well makes me happy.

Holy moly What a relief.
The feeling of impressing other people in a public presentation and getting people on board with what you're presenting is honestly of of life's greatest feelings. Well done.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote