Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #41
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bam! Got it dialed in. Setting that slider to 18 and getting movies into the range I've been looking for. Got sound figured out too. That was the tough part TBH.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #42
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
For audio I choose Auto Passthru so it stays the same as on the disc. I have a decent audio setup so I like taking advantage of the best possible source. I'm not sure what is causing your issue but I'd guess it's using a crappy codec.
Planning on making some blue rays mostly for use on a 2.1 setup/ipad, etc but thinking of keeping a 5.1 track if it's ever in surround sound.

What's the best way to do this? Should I have a passthru track, and then another track mixed down to stereo? Or just one passthru?

Or can I downmix in software? Thinking of using Kodi on Pi, and VLC on the tablet.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #43
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Planning on making some blue rays mostly for use on a 2.1 setup/ipad, etc but thinking of keeping a 5.1 track if it's ever in surround sound.

What's the best way to do this? Should I have a passthru track, and then another track mixed down to stereo? Or just one passthru?

Or can I downmix in software? Thinking of using Kodi on Pi, and VLC on the tablet.
I don't know about Kodi but VLC has no problem downmixing 5.1 to stereo.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #44
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

On that note.....is there a limit on how many audio tracks you can/should add via Handbrake? Thinking of current needs (5.1) and future needs (7.1) and the occasional playing of movies/tv shows through a tablet that only has stereo (2.1)?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #45
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
On that note.....is there a limit on how many audio tracks you can/should add via Handbrake? Thinking of current needs (5.1) and future needs (7.1) and the occasional playing of movies/tv shows through a tablet that only has stereo (2.1)?
I don't know if there's a limit to the number of audio tracks you can add but I've seen rips with 8 or more (language tracks usually) so that's not an issue.

Whether you should depends on your equipment and how much extra storage you're willing to use. I wouldn't add a 2.1 track unless you know you have a device that doesn't play (or transcode) 5.1. As I said VLC will convert 5.1 to stereo for you so it's a non-issue on tablets.

If you have a fairly new receiver it should play 7.1 tracks as 5.1. If not, Plex might transcode the audio but this is only an issue if your server isn't powerful enough. I would test your setup and see if it works.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #46
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I take it Handbrake can't do anything with LPCM sound tracks? I've come across this one only twice so no biggie but my preference it to preserve the original soundtrack that comes on the bluray.

Finally figured out setting audio to "auto passthrough" will preserve True HD tracks (No True HD pass through option) but using this method converts LPCM to AC3 it seems. Which is a bit unfortunate as I'm pretty sure my current soundbar can use LPCM. Or at least PCM.

Tags
dvd rip , media center , wifi