Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default For the Fun of the Game

Just wanted to throw this out there for your consideration.
Our small family has had a recent new addition as our 18-year-old nephew has come to live with us since late August. There is a long story behind the move that I won't bother telling here, but suffice to say he was having troubles at home and he is with us to finish high school and get a reset on life.

He's from Winnipeg, so he's a Jets fan, but he has always liked the Flames and arrived sporting a tattered Flames cap I had given him years ago. Between the Flames and the Jets him and I have made a point of watching as many games as possible, and I can honestly say I am enjoying hockey more than I have in years.

Watching with him has made me realize the reason I loved hockey so much growing up was the thrill of the games themselves. Sure, I always want the Flames to win, but it really is about the experience, and watching this season I am forgetting about the salary cap, advanced stats, top six, bottom six, bad officiating, etc. It's about the speed and skill and physicality, the rushes of Johnny Hockey, Bennett ringing one off the crossbar in a tied game, Jagr in a Flames jersey, young players on the Jets that I never appreciated cause I hadn't watched them enough.

I guess all I'm saying is that perspective is important and looking at hockey (and life) through a new lens has brought me a lot of joy.

I'm going to try and keep it that way the rest of this season and keep having fun with it; why else would I watch, right?

Go Flames (and Jets), GO!
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I watch with my 17 year old son (well he watches some of the game lol) , and I enjoy it immensely. It has become "our" time together.

Over the last 2 years watching with him has been a godsend to both of us. A bonding ,and talking time

Even had a "Down by 2 going into the third , got them right were we want them" fist bump and chuckle from the Hartley era.
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great posts

Ive kept my tickets a few years past when I really had passion for games just to get to this stage. My boys are finally old enough to go to a couple games a month instead of a year.

It’s awesome. Win or lose we have something shared and to talk about. And talk more in the time around the game about non hockey stuff.

They may tire of it. Who knows. If they are still into going to games with their old man by 17 or 18 I’ll be pretty happy.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 02:53 AM   #4
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
Great posts

Ive kept my tickets a few years past when I really had passion for games just to get to this stage. My boys are finally old enough to go to a couple games a month instead of a year.

It’s awesome. Win or lose we have something shared and to talk about. And talk more in the time around the game about non hockey stuff.

They may tire of it. Who knows. If they are still into going to games with their old man by 17 or 18 I’ll be pretty happy.
I sure hope they do. I'm 23 and I still love going to games with my dad. I've found it gets even better as I get older, I hope you have the same experience.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for sharing OP. Great story.

Being a fan doesn't have to involve critiquing every single decision and analyzing every little nuance of the game. While I enjoy the discussion (especially from some of the more knowledgeable users on CP), there's a lot to be said for just enjoying the sport for the reasons why you started liking it in the first place. And if it brings happiness to you and those around you, then even better.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kids never really watched sports growing up, but sports are a big part of my life and I like the fact that since I watch they'll sit and watch with me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #7
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping this thread to say that I am not going to waste this Flames season being down about the team.

Most of the stuff that is being talked about here lately is true and I am closer than ever to "something is off and we need a reset" camp than ever, yet I refuse to participate until at least the trade deadline. For now its Go Flames Go! for me.

The nephew is 22 now, still with us, hates the oil almost as much as Textcritic; ready for tonight. Team is struggling a bit. But they have some talent, all-world goaltending and it is very early yet. I'm going to enjoy it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, that was fun for sure. Had a few low moments in the first, but was great to see Backlund do his thing against McDavid, great to see the Oilers goaltending is as advertised, lol, great to see the HNIC panel reinventing the hockey rulebook to adjust for McDavid's impact on the game. Really, would we expect anything less?

Hopefully this is the start of a beautiful 10-0 run against those schmucks.