Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Dirt bikes for kids -- recommendations?

Looking to get the kids into dirt biking. They've shown a ton of interest in bmx and dirt bikes, and was something I used to do as a kid in rural Alberta... ripping around the town I spent a few years in as a young pup so thought it would be cool to do together.

So they've never been on motorbikes before, but are fine with pedal bikes. (balance etc) I'm looking to purchase 2 bikes for 3 kids this spring. Kids will basically be 8, 6 and 4 by that time. Share for a year and maybe get another one the next year if they're still interested.

My folks have an acreage south of Calgary that they can rip around on no problem for that.

So here's my question. What's the best bike to get them into as beginners? Looking at the Yamaha PW50 as a good option, especially since I can throttle it down. But bike still looks pretty heavy at 80lbs or so. Is there a better alternative?

Ideally, we'd stagger it so eventually we all have bikes (4 kids + me... maybe the wifey but she's not that into it). Start early now, get them used to riding and then eventually be able to hit Maclean Creek or trails or whatever on weekends when they're older is the goal.

What are some options here? Someone with some more experience? I see Blackfoot has a track with some kids ovals. Any other tracks around town for kids?

What am I looking at for apparel? Tie downs for back of the truck?

Any advice would be appreciated so I can make a better decision come spring time.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

PW80 for the bigger kids and TTR50 for the little ones. The TTR has an electric start which is huge as you won't have to keep running to start the bike when the kid stalls it. It is a heavier bike but really easy to ride.
PW80 is very soft and very forgiving for kids to learn on.
The PW50 is too tiny, kids will outgrow it in weeks.

Blackfoot is great for kids. They have 3 kid runs there and it is cheaper than going to the movies.

Last edited by Red; 11-18-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do they still make YZ80's?

Every kid in my neighborhood passed the same one around for years. ####ing awesome.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
Do they still make YZ80's?

Every kid in my neighborhood passed the same one around for years. ####ing awesome.
YZ80 was replaced by YZ85, they are great but they are two stroke rockets. 5spd, clutch, 80-100kph top speed etc. definitely not a beginners bike. It's a race bike.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Honda 110 and 50 depending on the kids sizes. 4 stroke vs 2 in the PW
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post: