Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Second game ever at the Dome - hopefully better than the first

Hi everyone,

Since I'm tired of coming here and NOT seeing a Bennett contract signing thread, I was hoping to get some advice. Some of you may remember my sad thread for my first ever game at the Saddledome, where we were shellacked by Edmonton - and I just can't let that sit as my last time at the arena before the Flames get a new barn to play in.

I'll try to be brief - I have a 5-year-old son with a rare metabolic disorder called PKU. He has the potential to not experience any significant problems as long as he keeps to his diet, but it is VERY restrictive and unfortunately a lifelong condition. You'd never know there was anything different about him and he is the most pleasant and happy young guy you'll ever meet, but the PKU thing can be hard on him, especially now that he's looking at starting kindergarten here in a few weeks and will be around a lot of other kids who don't understand why he has to eat the way he does and drink his special formula for most of his meals.

We have been trying to transition him to a more socially acceptable cup to eat from (he primarily has been drinking out of bottles since he was born), and it was really tough for him - I asked him if there was any carrot or incentive that would make it easier for him, and when I suggested a Flames game he absolutely lit up and has been a total champ ever since. We settled on the game on 10/13 against the Sens, and I am wondering what the recommendations would be from folks that know the Saddledome as well as you do.

As we make the trek up from Seattle for the game, what I am looking for is:

1) Seating where he'll be able to see the action. He's built like a standard five-year-old, but I don't want to be holding him most of the game just so he can see what is going on. I don't need seats on the glass or even in the lower bowl, but this is his first NHL experience so I want him to love it.
2) Seating where the environment can be as family-friendly as possible; I recognize that this is a crapshoot, but if there are parts of the arena that I should avoid in this regard, it would be good to know.
3) Seating where the "C" at center ice is seen right-side-up. I know this is silly, but it's his only request. I think he just wants to see it like he sees it on TV since that's his context.

I was thinking about the Platinum Club, as I would assume it satisfies most of the above - but I'd love to get your thoughts.

Thanks in advance - I can't tell you guys how excited he is (hell, I'm excited myself). He asks about it every day and whenever he's struggling with his diet, we talk about being able to see Gaudreau, Monahan, and Ferland in person (Ferland is his favorite player), and he powers right through. I appreciate it!
slcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to slcrocket For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How flexible are you on the Flaming C being right side up?

I'm away on vacation that week, and haven't got rid of my tickets yet. I have 2 seats in row 7, section 108. They are directly above the walkway to the Flames bench so you can see the players walk onto and off of the ice. If you ask the usher he will usually let your kids high five the players when they go on the ice. In fact the previous usher always looked for a kid around 5- 10 to do this as he considers it good luck. (He asked me to have my daughter high five the players a few years ago during a tight game as he claimed Conroy would always score when he got high fived!) My kids have got a couple of pucks from Glencross and Conroy and a stick from Monahan over the years, so you never know, you may get lucky. I think the seats are awesome to watch the game, and as long as your son is tall enough to see over the Advertising sign in front of the seats, which is about 30" high, he will see the game great and see all the players up close. My 5 year old does pretty well. I think a couple of CPers have used the seats over the years and may be able to comment if they think they will work for your son if they see this thread. Unfortunately the flaming C will definitely be upside down.

You could pay me what ever you budgeted, less enough to buy your son a treat on me if there is something at the dome he can eat or have - I don't have to recover the full cost of the tickets. All I ask is that you let me know sooner rather than later as I always pass off a portion of the games to a couple of friends and I'll likely be sorting out tickets in the next couple of weeks.

edit: should have mentioned - it works. The Flames scored and won the game. Can't recall if it was Conroy though!

Last edited by Vox; 09-03-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

if i was you i would definitely get a hold of the flames and let them know you/your son's situation.

i'm sure the flames would make it an awesome experience for him
Old 09-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post

I'm away on vacation that week, and haven't got rid of my tickets yet. I have 2 seats in row 7, section 108. They are directly above the walkway to the Flames bench so you can see the players walk onto and off of the ice. If you ask the usher he will usually let your kids high five the players when they go on the ice. In fact the previous usher always looked for a kid around 5- 10 to do this as he considers it good luck. (He asked me to have my daughter high five the players a few years ago during a tight game as he claimed Conroy would always score when he got high fived!) My kids have got a couple of pucks from Glencross and Conroy and a stick from Monahan over the years, so you never know, you may get lucky. I think the seats are awesome to watch the game, and as long as your son is tall enough to see over the Advertising sign in front of the seats, which is about 30" high, he will see the game great and see all the players up close. My 5 year old does pretty well. I think a couple of CPers have used the seats over the years and may be able to comment if they think they will work for your son if they see this thread. Unfortunately the flaming C will definitely be upside down.

You could pay me what ever you budgeted, less enough to buy your son a treat on me if there is something at the dome he can eat or have - I don't have to recover the full cost of the tickets. All I ask is that you let me know sooner rather than later as I always pass off a portion of the games to a couple of friends and I'll likely be sorting out tickets in the next couple of weeks.

edit: should have mentioned - it works. The Flames scored and won the game. Can't recall if it was Conroy though!
Thanks Vox - sent you a PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thats awesome!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Send an email to the Flames explaining your sons condition and that you are making the trip for one game. Chances are they'll set your son up with a meet and greet with players the morning of the game and some autographed items.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #7
slcrocket
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks again Vox - got your email. Looking forward to a great evening.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll throw in my food vouchers if you want.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is great to see. Hope you and your little guy enjoy the game.

Vox -> props to you good sir. You really ought to get your CP status upgraded from "scoring winger" to something a bit more legendary for this act of kindness.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrocket View Post
Thanks again Vox - got your email. Looking forward to a great evening.
My pleasure. Thanks for replying through CP - this was the best way to know I sent them to right person! I always get nervous when I email tickets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #11
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
This is great to see. Hope you and your little guy enjoy the game.

Vox -> props to you good sir. You really ought to get your CP status upgraded from "scoring winger" to something a bit more legendary for this act of kindness.
Thanks, but honestly just happy to help. Besides, most of the nick names that apply to me would be censored!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If your son is a patient guy, you can tell him to wait a little while until the Flames come to him.

I kid!
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
Demzy84
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

With all the mudslinging going on regarding the arena with everyone on this board, this is amazing to read!
Demzy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Finally. A good news thread! Nice job Vox!

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post: