Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #161
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jagr looks so sexy in Flames silks
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #162
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Well, who am I to stand in the way of destiny?

Looking at that photo, I realized that when looking at Jagr's jersey upside down... it's 89.

DESTINY!
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #163
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it good in the long term when the team wins a contract negotiation by such a large margin? I can't imagine that Bennett (and/or his Agent) will be willing to give a Calgary discount when Bennett gets some leverage.

Bennett has definitely not been treated like other top-6 draft picks.

He had somewhat comparable start to Elias Lindholm.. Lindholm has gotten top-6 linemates for his whole career. His bridge deal was 2X2.7

Tkachuk is a great player. He has been treated like a future core player and given the cover of playing with Backlund and Frolik.

Monahan is a good player. The moment he put on a Flames uniform the Flames have done everything to make him into a #1C. He got to play with Hudler and Colborne as a rookie and then with Hudler and Gaudreau.

Bennett has a solid rookie year playing with Backlund and Frolik (18-18-36) and then gets moved out of the top-6 to make room for Tkachuk (13-35-48)

Bennett get Brouwer, Versteeg and Chaisson to look after. It can be argued that playing with Bennett extended Versteeg's career... He was on a PTO with Edmonton before he got to play with Bennett and now has another contract.

If the Flames were to want to ease the upcoming contract crunch with Tkachuk they could move him onto a line with Jankowski/Versteeg/Brouwer. That would basically guarantee a sophomore slump (at least point scoring wise... which drives the $$)

Will Bennett's treatment end up with him on the Canucks or some other team where they would make him a #1C or at least a #2C?

Asking him to go out and be a 40 pts #3C is not a reasonably attainable goal...
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #164
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Is it good in the long term when the team wins a contract negotiation by such a large margin? I can't imagine that Bennett (and/or his Agent) will be willing to give a Calgary discount when Bennett gets some leverage.

He had somewhat comparable start to Elias Lindholm.. Lindholm has gotten top-6 linemates for his whole career. His bridge deal was 2X2.7

Tkachuk is a great player. He has been treated like a future core player and given the cover of playing with Backlund and Frolik.

Monahan is a good player. The moment he put on a Flames uniform the Flames have done everything to make him into a #1C. He got to play with Hudler and Colborne as a rookie and then with Hudler and Gaudreau.

Bennett has a solid rookie year playing with Backlund and Frolik (18-18-36) and then gets moved out of the top-6 to make room for Tkachuk (13-35-48)

Bennett get Brouwer, Versteeg and Chaisson to look after. It can be argued that playing with Bennett extended Versteeg's career... He was on a PTO with Edmonton before he got to play with Bennett and now has another contract.

If the Flames were to want to ease the upcoming contract crunch with Tkachuk they could move him onto a line with Jankowski/Versteeg/Brouwer. That would basically guarantee a sophomore slump (at least point scoring wise... which drives the $$)

Will Bennett's treatment end up with him on the Canucks or some other team where they would make him a #1C or at least a #2C?

I think Bennett's opportunities are completely on him. If he takes the next step forward and starts driving the play, maturing by keeping puck possession, and getting his scoring rates up...then you will see adjustments from the coaching staff where he will be put in a more offensive role and see more ice-time on the powerplay to capitalize.

I understand it's tough to do with with Brouwer and Chaisson, but that is why I think it's a good idea for the Flames to sign Jagr.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #165
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #166
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I think Bennett's opportunities are completely on him. If he takes the next step forward and starts driving the play, maturing by keeping puck possession, and getting his scoring rates up...then you will see adjustments from the coaching staff where he will be put in a more offensive role and see more ice-time on the powerplay to capitalize.

I understand it's tough to do with with Brouwer and Chaisson, but that is why I think it's a good idea for the Flames to sign Jagr.
signing Jagr may be good for the Flames but it would cut down Bennett's PP time and leave him with Ferland and Versteeg as line mates instead of Versteeg and Lazar/Brouwer
Old 09-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #167
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would take this a step further. Healthy scratch him all season long to further reduce his value.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #168
terryclancy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

^

Good thinking! This would ensure a GRIT rating of 0.0 and MT would have to pay the Flames to remain on the roster.

Last edited by terryclancy; 09-07-2017 at 03:34 PM.
terryclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to terryclancy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #169
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
signing Jagr may be good for the Flames but it would cut down Bennett's PP time and leave him with Ferland and Versteeg as line mates instead of Versteeg and Lazar/Brouwer
Wow that's a lot of assumptions you make in one post. Kind of highlights your lack of open-mindedness on the roster.

Just because we sign Jagr doesn't mean he necessarily has to play with Gaudreau-Monahan. I'd almost rather have Jagr with Tkachuk-Bennett to try and create another really good scoring line. Why put all your eggs in one basket when you can create three great lines?

Bennett doesn't necessarily have to play with Versteeg, Lazar or Brouwer. Although I do like the idea of a Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer line. I mean your suggestion is viable but its not the only way to construct the lines. Personally I think if you want to maximize all three of your top lines that you give Bennett at least one more high skill player in Tkachuk or Jagr or whoever. I think Tkachuk-Bennett in particular could develop into as dangerous an offensive duo as Gaudreau-Monahan eventually (not necessarily right away) and give us three fantastic lines. You could have Jankowski work his way in as a LW with Backlund-Frolik just like Tkachuk did.

Heck we don't even know if Bennett will stay at centre. Certainly it seems likely. But if Jankowski outperforms Bennett we could see Janko at 3rd line centre and Bennett could re-join Backlund-Frolik where he arguably had his best offensive stretch of his NHL career.

Use a little imagination Ricardo. We all know you can't though because you see TOI as the determining statistic for most things. But overall I think you're assuming far too much before camp has even started. They will experiment with combos that you appear to not even be considering.

There's so much flexibility in our roster that its extremely hard to predict the lines if we do sign Jagr. Gulutzan and the coaching staff will have a lot of combinations to play with.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #170
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Treliving live on Sportsnet960 talking about Bennett right now. http://player.sportsnet960.ca/
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #171
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Terrific to be done early
s_procee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #172
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Is it good in the long term when the team wins a contract negotiation by such a large margin?...
Do you know something the rest of us do not? What was the separation between the Flames and Bennett's camp in this negotiation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #173
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...Bennett has a solid rookie year playing with Backlund and Frolik (18-18-36) and then gets moved out of the top-6 to make room for Tkachuk (13-35-48)...
That is not at all what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #174
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Do you know something the rest of us do not? What was the separation between the Flames and Bennett's camp in this negotiation?
Is Bennett's 2 year bridge a great deal for the Flames or not?
Old 09-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #175
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That is not at all what happened.
and yet it is.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #176
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Wow that's a lot of assumptions you make in one post. Kind of highlights your lack of open-mindedness on the roster.

Just because we sign Jagr doesn't mean he necessarily has to play with Gaudreau-Monahan. I'd almost rather have Jagr with Tkachuk-Bennett to try and create another really good scoring line. Why put all your eggs in one basket when you can create three great lines?

Bennett doesn't necessarily have to play with Versteeg, Lazar or Brouwer. Although I do like the idea of a Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer line. I mean your suggestion is viable but its not the only way to construct the lines. Personally I think if you want to maximize all three of your top lines that you give Bennett at least one more high skill player in Tkachuk or Jagr or whoever. I think Tkachuk-Bennett in particular could develop into as dangerous an offensive duo as Gaudreau-Monahan eventually (not necessarily right away) and give us three fantastic lines. You could have Jankowski work his way in as a LW with Backlund-Frolik just like Tkachuk did.

Heck we don't even know if Bennett will stay at centre. Certainly it seems likely. But if Jankowski outperforms Bennett we could see Janko at 3rd line centre and Bennett could re-join Backlund-Frolik where he arguably had his best offensive stretch of his NHL career.

Use a little imagination Ricardo. We all know you can't though because you see TOI as the determining statistic for most things. But overall I think you're assuming far too much before camp has even started. They will experiment with combos that you appear to not even be considering.

There's so much flexibility in our roster that its extremely hard to predict the lines if we do sign Jagr. Gulutzan and the coaching staff will have a lot of combinations to play with.
And in negotiating with Jagr you do not think that the Flames are selling a chance for Jagr to play his last season with Monahan and Gaudreau? He wants lesser linemates than Barkov and Hurbedeau?

Last edited by ricardodw; 09-07-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #177
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Bennett interview on the FAN this morning:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...ng-opposition/

The guys tried to bust him out of canned answers, with mixed success.
Sounds like he's pretty open to being on the wing.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #178
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
and yet it is.
No, it isn't. They actually started the season together on a line with Brouwer. Eventually lines changed and Tkachuk was put with Backlund and Frolik (after Ferland struggled) and that line clicked.

5on5 Tkachuk finished with 12:37 of ice time per game
Bennett finished much lower.. with an identical 12:37 per game.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #179
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Sounds like he's pretty open to being on the wing.
Treliving has been pretty clear that the Flames see Bennett as centre - full stop.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #180
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Treliving has been pretty clear that the Flames see Bennett as centre - full stop.
Agreed.
Management has said it is easy to find wingers, and to move a good centre to the wing can be a waste of that good centre. They see Sammy as a very good centre.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote