Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
As an old school gamer who's never downloaded a full console game digitally, how does it work? If I download a single player game off PSN or Live, does it require me to "call in" once in awhile to verify I have a legit copy? That's basically the one big thing that's sticking in my craw for the Xbox One. I don't ever buy used games, and having thought about it these past couple of days, I don't even mind that much that I can't lend my game to a buddy. But the fact that my library of games can potentially be rendered useless in 20 years when no one plays the game anymore and I can't get the other side to "verify" my legit copy of the game is what's really turning me off to the Xbox One.

I honestly don't mind that we're going fully digital if that's how the trend is. What I want is guarantees that my offline games will always work till the day I die and beyond.
There is always a possibility that you will lose access. Even with Steam, it wasn't until after 5 years of haranguing that you could have proper offline access for most games, and even then, if you don't have a physical copy and your HDD become corrupt, once the Steam servers go down (if ever), you will no longer be able to play that game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #42
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
As an old school gamer who's never downloaded a full console game digitally, how does it work? If I download a single player game off PSN or Live, does it require me to "call in" once in awhile to verify I have a legit copy?

But the fact that my library of games can potentially be rendered useless in 20 years when no one plays the game anymore and I can't get the other side to "verify" my legit copy of the game is what's really turning me off to the Xbox One.
Yup, it is fairly straightforward. Sometimes you will need to download two "files" - a demo version and an unlock that basically removes the demo walls so that it is a full game. Not very painful. A slight hiccup might be HD space, I think some files are compressed and then need to be "installed" so that you'd need more than expected space. Again, not the end of the world.

For your 20 year thing - I look forward to seeing how Xbone handles first year suspensions, bans, hacks, lost of account access, etc. Have they thought it all through so that they have plans in place for people not to instantly lose all their prior retail game purchases. EA and other certainly didn't with their online offerings.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #43
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
For the sake of discussion, why is this?

Schadenfreude? Late 90s Micro$oft angst? Still pissed about Windows ME?

Is an HTPC an option? Steam recently launched the Big Picture software which makes couch PCs better and easy to navigate. Using mITX boards or micro-pre builts (like the Alienware x51) makes HTPCs much more enticing.
Something like this would be an idea for a person like myself, except that PC gamers tend to get dealt a healthy does of harsh sodomy when it comes to sports titles. I'd say 80% of my gaming is sports titles, and I don't tend to replay shooters and their ilk unless they have a pretty massive open-world (i.e. GTA). Combine that with the fact that I like swapping games with my buddies, and the digital distribution isn't a huge draw for me either. That being said, I love playing sims, RTS, and strategy games, and can get pretty into RPGs, but largely don't play them because they're garbage on consoles and my laptop isn't powerful enough to run them.

So I guess in conclusion, I blame EA.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #44
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Hardcore gamers, especially those that can see past the politics and just want to play the better games, which the Xbone seems to have.
The only launch exclusive that I have seen that looks half-way interesting was Ryse, which itself looked to be a regular FPS where they took away the gun and added a ton of QTE to make it unplayable. And really, "hardcore" gamers will probably get both systems anyway, because there will be games for both that they will need to play as the product cycle chugs onward.

The XBox1 was designed to try to get casual users to use it as the media hub in their living room (hell, most of the E3 reveal had them spouting this idea); if they were going for gamers the rig would have more power and less shafting of the customer.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #45
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
The only launch exclusive that I have seen that looks half-way interesting was Ryse, which itself looked to be a regular FPS where they took away the gun and added a ton of QTE to make it unplayable.
The QTE QTE QTE is pretty disappointing. New meaning to the game playing itself I guess.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why...ng-game-of-e3/

I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, #### is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.
I missed it. Damn.

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.
What?

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #46
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.
Dude...

Dude.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #47
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

After the initial uproar and people taking time to realize how much more the Xbox One is offering...the sales will be fine. People tend to overreact initially, but that's because the average light-bulb in the population is not very bright. Microsoft is doing exactly the right thing, but their success depends on whether the population has evolved enough in terms of their intellect to grasp their evolving concept, or is the mass population still stuck back in 2005 unwilling to accept change, and open-minded thinking.

Remember when people were shouting from the rooftops because the TV/Cable/Government was forcing them to switch from Analog to Digital. I feel the same way.

Catch up with technology or get left behind. (Put up or shut up ideology)

Same type of people were laughing at the iPhone in 2007 calling it a glorified iPod and laughing at iTunes in 2001. Who's laughing now? Steve Jobs in his grave.

The world is becoming all digital. Shed some tears if you have to and get on the train. Its happening regardless.

Microsoft is like the devil that you KNOW. (Apple)

Sony is like the devil that you don't KNOW (Blackberry)

Microsoft has taken the approach of being an all-in-one entertainment solution with many more features going to be added in future.

Sony has taken the approach of being a high-end old school specialized gaming console with some features coming later.

Look at the world around you, and tell me with a straight face that Sony is actually looking and making products for the future.

Last edited by robaur; 06-14-2013 at 11:06 AM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #48
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may also clarify the discussion - Eurogamers list of exclusives:

Xbone:
Below
Crimson Dragon
Dead Rising 3
D4
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo
Killer Instinct
Kinect Sports Rivals
LocoCycle
Minecraft: Xbox One Edition
Powerstar Golf
Quantum Break
Ryse: Son of Rome
Sunset Overdrive
Zoo Tycoon

PS4:
Basement Crawl
Driveclub
Infamous: Second Son
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
The Order: 1886
Secret Ponchos
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #49
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This may also clarify the discussion - Eurogamers list of exclusives:

Xbone:
Below
Crimson Dragon
Dead Rising 3
D4
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo
Killer Instinct
Kinect Sports Rivals
LocoCycle
Minecraft: Xbox One Edition
Powerstar Golf
Quantum Break
Ryse: Son of Rome
Sunset Overdrive
Zoo Tycoon

PS4:
Basement Crawl
Driveclub
Infamous: Second Son
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
The Order: 1886
Secret Ponchos
Ryse: Son of Rome looks awesome. Halo will be great as usual. Excited for Forza 5. Love the Xbox exclusives. Maybe get Killzone or Infamous for PS4.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #50
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only Xbone exclusive that I'd go out of my way for is DR3.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #51
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who were waiting with baited breath on my spending decisions, I've decided to head to MemEx after work and grab another 680 4GB so I can SLI them suckers.

I am still undecided on my next console purchase however, but I am starting to lean towards the XBone because of Dead Rising 3.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #52
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Ryse: Son of Rome looks awesome.
Did you read the earlier link about Ryse?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #53
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://uk.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/

PS4: 30,709
Xbone: 8,086
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #54
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For those who were waiting with baited breath on my spending decisions, I've decided to head to MemEx after work and grab another 680 4GB so I can SLI them suckers.

I am still undecided on my next console purchase however, but I am starting to lean towards the XBone because of Dead Rising 3.
Won't DR3 likely come to PC?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #55
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Won't DR3 likely come to PC?
Oh

Then I am once again undecided.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #56
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Been running dual 680's since their release - great choice. Nice for pumping out 2560x1600's. I'm curious about running multiple Titans but will probably just wait for a little while.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #57
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Been running dual 680's since their release - great choice. Nice for pumping out 2560x1600's. I'm curious about running multiple Titans but will probably just wait for a little while.
Well the 680s just dropped 100$ in price this week, you could pick up a 3rd and go Tri-SLI.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #58
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Did you read the earlier link about Ryse?
He couldn't....that would destroy the quaint little fantasy world he has built for himself.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #59
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh

Then I am once again undecided.
I could be wrong. Apparently the first DR only came out for 360, which is weird because I thought I remembered seeing a PC version. DR2 was multi-platform.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Crimson Dragon a new version of Panzer Dragoon? I enjoyed the old Xbox version.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote