Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #3901
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
We dont need byron when Eat bread is waiting to come up!
No thanks to Byron either way, he can go 0/100000 on breakaways somewhere else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #3902
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I agree that Johnny and Mony most likely will slump (Ferland already has) at some point this season ~ it happens to every player though the length of the slump varies obviously ~ but at the same time Johnny/Mony have clearly taken a step in their overall talent adding a hot start to their resume. I can easily see Mony finishing with 40 G / 70 P & Johnny putting up 30 G / 90 P this year and I don't think secondary scoring is going to be suffacated for the entire season.

This team is bottom six scoring, better PK more consistent D away from being a top 5 team in the league. They've shown what they can do over a long period of time being a top 5 team for 50 games last season; if they put it together right now we could be dangerous IMO and we really aren't that far off.
The Flames have 3 lines that are major scoring threats right now. The only way Johnny, Monny and Ferly are going to “slump” is if other teams focus solely on defending that line by matching their best defensive players against against that line exposing themselves and allowing the 3m line and the 2kids1goat line easier competition resulting in more opportunities for the 2nd and 3rd line.

I honestly think the Flames will be a top 5 offensive team all year and even if the top line slows down, they are going to be in the top 1/3rd producing lines in the league this year.

And Ferland Slumping? The same guy who has scored in 5 straight, has 12 pts in 18 games, PP goals in his last 3 games Ferland?

Cassie Campbell said it best. “ Ferland was benched for one shift, he missed one shift with that top line early in the season and turned it up. Message received.”
Old 11-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #3903
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
The Flames have 3 lines that are major scoring threats right now. The only way Johnny, Monny and Ferly are going to “slump” is if other teams focus solely on defending that line by matching their best defensive players against against that line exposing themselves and allowing the 3m line and the 2kids1goat line easier competition resulting in more opportunities for the 2nd and 3rd line.

I honestly think the Flames will be a top 5 offensive team all year and even if the top line slows down, they are going to be in the top 1/3rd producing lines in the league this year.

And Ferland Slumping? The same guy who has scored in 5 straight, has 12 pts in 18 games, PP goals in his last 3 games Ferland?

Cassie Campbell said it best. “ Ferland was benched for one shift, he missed one shift with that top line early in the season and turned it up. Message received.
It grinds my gears that she says this. The shift was after a PP which is why he was with the third line for one shift
Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #3904
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
It grinds my gears that she says this. The shift was after a PP which is why he was with the third line for one shift
Are you sure you and her are talking about the same shift? I personally don't remember the "shift", but I'm sure Ferland did get benched early in the season and he has turned it up to now red hot.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #3905
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

Cassie Campbell said it best. “ Ferland was benched for one shift, he missed one shift with that top line early in the season and turned it up. Message received.”
Flames have three lines that are major scoring threats right now? No they don't.

Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr have quite a bit more to prove before I'd consider the a 'major scoring threat'. They have had one, two games where they have looked dangerous? Let's see 30.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #3906
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Are you sure you and her are talking about the same shift? I personally don't remember the "shift", but I'm sure Ferland did get benched early in the season and he has turned it up to now red hot.
Yeah, it was right after a PP where Brouwer played on the first unit, but that game is definitely where he started to play better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #3907
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
No thanks to Byron either way, he can go 0/100000 on breakaways somewhere else.
Byron has gone and scored 38 goals the last three years for Montreal.

Players he's better than on the roster:

Stajan - 12 goals.
Lazar - 1 goal (2nd rounder well spent - if we have to watch Lazar for 10 years... No. Not doing that.)
Freddie - 3 goals.
Brouwer - 31 goals (making 25% of the money)
Bollig - 3 (not on the roster, but who we kept Byron for)

Byron is a better PKer than all of them. He's faster than all of them, he's more intense than all of them, and when a guy is snakebitten on breakaways, you don't eject him the next summer. You thank your lucky stars this guy keeps getting breakaways on penalty kills, because it keeps the puck away from your net.

Byron makes $1.1M btw. Who cares if he's shorter than Johnny, he's a gamer and I'd take him over everyone on the 4th line. Byron is basically what we all hope Poirier becomes at this point anyway - we should have just kept Byron.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #3908
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Stajan - 12 goals.
Lazar - 1 goal (2nd rounder well spent - if we have to watch Lazar for 10 years... No. Not doing that.)
Freddie - 3 goals.

Byron is a better PKer than all of them. He's faster than all of them, he's more intense than all of them, and when a guy is snakebitten on breakaways, you don't eject him the next summer. You thank your lucky stars this guy keeps getting breakaways on penalty kills, because it keeps the puck away from your net.

Byron makes $1.1M btw. Who cares if he's shorter than Johnny, he's a gamer and I'd take him over everyone on the 4th line. Byron is basically what we all hope Poirier becomes at this point anyway - we should have just kept Byron.
Not that I want Byron over the at all, but he also has more goals than Ferland, Frolik, Versteeg and Bennett. Only people ahead of him for forwards I believe are Johnny, Monahan and Backlund in goals in the past 3 years
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #3909
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Byron fan here. He gives 100% every game. He has one gear. Still can't believe that they put him on waivers.

Scoring or not, he keeps D honest. No one wants to give up a breakaway, especially a shorty.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #3910
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Stajan - 12 goals.
Freddie - 3 goals.

Someone has to score in Montreal. They are terrible with Paul Byron.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #3911
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Someone has to score in Montreal. They are terrible with Paul Byron.
Someone has to score here. Byron got all those breakaways because he's a smart fast tenacious player. None of them going in was inexplicable.

A bottom six player who can kill penalties, score a little and makes $1.1M. Curtis Lazar has NHL size and he sucks. Paul Byron is undersized, but does a lot of useful things well that are completely independent of his size. It's unfortunate he's not here, because bottom six scoring is such a challenge for this team. Byron is what bottom six scoring looks like.

He should still be a Flame. Montreal doesn't suck because they have Paul Byron.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #3912
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Someone has to score here. Byron got all those breakaways because he's a smart fast tenacious player. None of them going in was inexplicable.

A bottom six player who can kill penalties, score a little and makes $1.1M. Curtis Lazar has NHL size and he sucks. Paul Byron is undersized, but does a lot of useful things well that are completely independent of his size. It's unfortunate he's not here, because bottom six scoring is such a challenge for this team. Byron is what bottom six scoring looks like.

He should still be a Flame. Montreal doesn't suck because they have Paul Byron.
I thought it was pretty straight forward to explain - his hands don't move as fast as his skates. Pulling off moves on a breakaway is very difficult at top speed, and he doesn't really slow down for the shots.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 AM   #3913
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I thought it was pretty straight forward to explain - his hands don't move as fast as his skates. Pulling off moves on a breakaway is very difficult at top speed, and he doesn't really slow down for the shots.
... even easier; he had a broken wrist he only healed that off season. He’s scored a few beauties on break always since then.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #3914
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How’s about we all just let the Paul Byron thing go?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #3915
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Paul Byron since being in Montreal has played in the top 6 which he would not do here. He would not have the regular or power play time here that he has in Montreal. He did not score 22 goals last year playing 4th line minutes. Pretty sure if skating fast and trying hard were what management thought they were lacking there are a couple guys in Stockton that could fill that roll. Please don’t use the Bennett comparison as in my opinion he will never reach potential stuck on the 3rd line. His best pro year was when he played with Backlund and Frolik on the second line. Look at Ferlund, he was a very inconsistent player on the third and fourth line and when he got bumped up to the top line and given a real opportunity he has excelled. I personally believe that Bennett is a more consistent player in terms of effort then Felund was in bottom six minutes but Bennett has never been given the opportunity to have regular top six minutes since his first full season.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #3916
Bawbag
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Paul Byron was a good player for us. He may not have the the best hands. But he has made himself a good career for himself due to his great attitude.

He could find a place on any NHL roster
The Following User Says Thank You to Bawbag For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #3917
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Handled himself well against a bigger slepeshyve (I know its not right SP)
Old 11-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #3918
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the worst thing about waiving Byron is that they did it so they could keep 3 terrible goalies on the roster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #3919
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Byron would not be an answer to our scoring woes but he would sure help the PK. That ship has sailed though - no point trading for him.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #3920
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
How’s about we all just let the Paul Byron thing go?
I came to the thread twice in an interested manner to find Byron talk now. I'd rather go back to the Buffalo dangling Kane and Reinhart talk, but asking too much for them. At least those are guys who could conceivably be moved. Where's Cube with local chatter?