Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #321
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why are we still talking about this?

We have a center that has 20 points in 19 games, has scored over 20 every year he's been in the league and over 25 for all but his rookie year. He has more points than anyone in his draft class and IRC more than most of the 2012 class as well.

Why are ppl so hell-bent on hating on the guy as our #1 C?

He's also improving his possession stats, his defensive play and FO percentages.

He's 23 years old and signed to a good value deal.

Wtf people?

Just be happy we have these guys (Monahan, Jankowski, Backlund) that are all homegrown.

All you haters should be unable to watch current games and be forced to watch back when we had Tanguay and Cammalleri as our "first line center."

Edit: more points than anyone in the 2012 & 2013 draft, ranks 6 most points out of players from 2011 draft, just above Johnny Gaudreau no less.

Last edited by SeanCharles; 11-19-2017 at 07:05 PM.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #322
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
He has more points than anyone in his draft class and IRC more than most of the 2012 class as well.
He has more goals and more points than any player drafted since 2012. If you include the 2011 Draft Class, he's third in goals and sixth in points (he's only 4 points ahead of Gaudreau, so he'll be seventh soon enough).

Since he came into the league, he's 17th overall (tied with Malkin) for most goals scored league-wide.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #323
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He has more goals and more points than any player drafted since 2012. If you include the 2011 Draft Class, he's third in goals and sixth in points (he's only 4 points ahead of Gaudreau, so he'll be seventh soon enough).

Since he came into the league, he's 17th overall (tied with Malkin) for most goals scored league-wide.
Yea I researched and edited my post afterwards, I didn't do b4 cause I was on a tangent cause this topic pisses me off haha.

Thanks!
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #324
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I never took his post that way.

I took it to mean he has a knack for being at the right place without doing all the flashy stuff. That's good enough for me.

He doesn't have to get banged up like Nieuwendyk to be an effective player for the Flames. I don't think he will be the overall player like Nieuwendyk, few are, but he has the hands and the nose to be in the right place at the right time. His hockey IQ is exceptional.
Actually, I think I like your Nieuwendyk analogy the more I think about it. He was a guy that wasn’t flashy, not particularly fast, decent size but definitely not a big hitter or physical in that way. His toughness was like Monahan, willing to pay the price to get in the tough areas to score.

And his goals, so many of his goals you weren’t even sure they were his at first. He would just stand in front of the net and use his elite hand eye to tip pucks into the goal. His shooting percentage was crazy high for a while because he didn’t shoot much, and many of his goals didn’t even involve him taking a shot.

So like Monahan, he was stealthy; a solid, smart player, who just produced.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #325
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only thing suckier than Monahan is the ####ing morons on CP who call themselves hockey fans and don't realize we're watching the best goal scorer the team has seen since arguably BEFORE Iginla showed up on the roster.

Is Monahan the best goal scorer on the roster since Nieuwendyk?

Goal Scoring is the hardest thing to do in the NHL and Monahan does it better than anyone on the roster has in a decade. Sounds like a ####ty player because of something, something, something.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #326
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The only thing suckier than Monahan is the ####ing morons on CP who call themselves hockey fans and don't realize we're watching the best goal scorer the team has seen since arguably BEFORE Iginla showed up on the roster.

Is Monahan the best goal scorer on the roster since Nieuwendyk?

Goal Scoring is the hardest thing to do in the NHL and Monahan does it better than anyone on the roster has in a decade. Sounds like a ####ty player because of something, something, something.
Im awesome!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #327
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Goal Scoring is the hardest thing to do in the NHL and Monahan does it better than anyone on the roster has in a decade.
I stumbled across this photo the other day -- it shows a 10-year-old Monahan in his family driveway:

Needless to say, I think he's gotten quite proficient at sniping that top corner, glove side.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:50 PM   #328
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Wtf is on his feet?

Tap shoes with Hockey laces?

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 AM   #329
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

He looks like a chubby Crosby.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #330
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Wtf is on his feet?

Tap shoes with Hockey laces?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spats_(footwear)
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:45 AM   #331
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't have pegged that chubby little dude as on his way to the NHL at first sight. Testament to training and dedication based on the rest of the pic though

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:56 AM   #332
cofias
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Why are we still talking about this?

We have a center that has 20 points in 19 games, has scored over 20 every year he's been in the league and over 25 for all but his rookie year. He has more points than anyone in his draft class and IRC more than most of the 2012 class as well.

Why are ppl so hell-bent on hating on the guy as our #1 C?

He's also improving his possession stats, his defensive play and FO percentages.

He's 23 years old and signed to a good value deal.

Wtf people?

Just be happy we have these guys (Monahan, Jankowski, Backlund) that are all homegrown.

All you haters should be unable to watch current games and be forced to watch back when we had Tanguay and Cammalleri as our "first line center."

Edit: more points than anyone in the 2012 & 2013 draft, ranks 6 most points out of players from 2011 draft, just above Johnny Gaudreau no less.
The thing is that prior to this season the "Monahan is not a 1C" argument had some weight since his possession stats in the past have been pretty weak and his line got scored on quite a bit. He was always a great trigger man but this season he has turned it up in every aspect of the game, in my opinion. His line is often dominant, easily entering the zone and Monahan is now much better at protecting the puck when he has it, taking it away from opponents, skating it into open areas and supporting his linemates without the puck. He has almost overnight turned into much more of a complete center. I'm a hell of a lot more confident in him as a 1C now than I was at the end of last season.

Obviously like you said the stats support this as well as he has very strong possession numbers and scoring chance differentials.
cofias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #333
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I stumbled across this photo the other day -- it shows a 10-year-old Monahan in his family driveway:

Needless to say, I think he's gotten quite proficient at sniping that top corner, glove side.
I wish he'd practiced shooting with more then just the muffin.
Demaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #334
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nice interview with 67 after the game published today in Czech media /google translator used/:

https://translate.google.cz/translat...par&edit-text=
calgaryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #335
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan's defensive play, his passing and his IQ are underrated here. Mainly because he doesn't do flashy things. He doesn't lose his man that much in the D zone and, for an offensively minded guy he does pretty well (especially considering he's not getting much help in the D zone from Gaudreau). His passes are not spectacular but they are usually smart, quick and on the tape.

I won't say he's a better goal scorer than a guy who scored 50 in the dead puck era, but he's as good as any other Flame since the 90s.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #336
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demaeon View Post
I wish he'd practiced shooting with more then just the muffin.
yeah.. I wish monahan was better at scoring too...!
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #337
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Look how boring he looks!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #338
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I remember when Backs was injured for a lengthy time frame. I think it was Monahan's 2nd season, and he was tasked as our shut down center taking all of the other teams top lines.

For those that say he lacks defense, need to think back to this time when he was getting accolades everywhere on how good defensively he was.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaikorven For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #339
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryboy View Post
Nice interview with 67 after the game published today in Czech media /google translator used/:

https://translate.google.cz/translat...par&edit-text=
"The internet spoke of disagreements between your partners Diana Kobzano and Veronika Kopřivová. Can you just say in Calgary?
I would not bother about it. We know something has been written, but it's not all true, the boulevard is going to jerk it as it needs it. We did not even discuss it at all."

THIS SOUNDS JUICY
Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #340
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
I remember when Backs was injured for a lengthy time frame. I think it was Monahan's 2nd season, and he was tasked as our shut down center taking all of the other teams top lines.

For those that say he lacks defense, need to think back to this time when he was getting accolades everywhere on how good defensively he was.
I remember that time well. Backlund, Stajan were all injured.

People complained he was not scoring goals
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote