Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #301
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, at least Al Franken can still become President.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #302
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #303
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colbert interviews Affleck where they talk about Wienstein and his own harrassment accusations. Apparently he's giving all his residuals from films he worked on with Harvey to charity.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #304
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sarah Silverman on Louis CK.

Guardian write-up about Silverman's reaction, including her sister Laura's experience while dating Louis.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...did-bad-things

Quote:
On 10 November, following the New York Times revelations, Silverman’s sister Laura Silverman – who briefly dated CK – alleged on Twitter that CK masturbated in front of her 20 times around 25 years ago, “on a cross country trip before he was famous ... Not criminal. But compulsive, rude & gross”.

“He always invited me to wait outside the motel room door if I wanted. I usually did. But he made it clear the masturbating was gonna happen each morning. Naked on the bed. Sometimes I just read a book in the corner. I did not enjoy it. Fin.” Laura Silverman said she was “NOT a victim”, but his behaviour was the reason she broke up with him.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #305
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not criminal. But compulsive, rude & gross”.
That's pretty much how I view behaviour like LCK's in cases absent the power dynamic. The race for extremes and bandwagoning in American culture is funny to watch, at least that portion driven by social media. It can urge the need for consideration and support for those who may have emotional or psychological issues while simultaneously portraying them as monsters and cheering that they be torn down. Nuance is nothing compared to championing a cause and joining a trend.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #306
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What a friggin weirdo.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #307
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I support victims speaking out, and abusers being ousted, and clearly CK did things that should be reported.
However, the private sexual perversions of someone while they are in a relationship should not be subject to publication. Sure, it speaks to a pattern of behaviour, but the circumstances referenced by L.Silverman are were clearly part of their relationship. A ####ing weird fetish/addiction/perversion whatever, but that's personal and private at that point.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #308
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Colbert interviews Affleck where they talk about Wienstein and his own harrassment accusations. Apparently he's giving all his residuals from films he worked on with Harvey to charity.

Bit of a weird interview really. Prior to this I didn't know Affleck had an accusation of his own, and his Twitter apology about it and his mention of it here is pretty flippant.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #309
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Really? What do you think was flippant about his answer?

He talked about accountability, believing people when they come out with their stories... is it the part where he said he doesn’t really remember it? What if he actually doesn’t?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #310
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If all Ben Affleck did was what the video shows I definitely don't put him in the same category as Trump or Weinstein, but the Twitter apology itself was short and seemed dismissive. It's possible I'm reading the whole situation wrong.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #311
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I support victims speaking out, and abusers being ousted, and clearly CK did things that should be reported.
However, the private sexual perversions of someone while they are in a relationship should not be subject to publication. Sure, it speaks to a pattern of behaviour, but the circumstances referenced by L.Silverman are were clearly part of their relationship. A ####ing weird fetish/addiction/perversion whatever, but that's personal and private at that point.
Legit question: does the fact that it was a mandatory/compulsory part of their time together, whether she enjoyed it or not (she didn't), change the context enough?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #312
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Legit question: does the fact that it was a mandatory/compulsory part of their time together, whether she enjoyed it or not (she didn't), change the context enough?
I don't think so unless there was another power dynamic at play. This is pre-stardom Louis CK so there isn't this if I do it it's good for my career and if I don't he'd crush my career power imbalance.

A person can have whatever requirements they want for a relationship and provided the other person enters willingly and can leave willingly.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #313
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^agree.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #314
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Nothing she's said suggests she was forced to stay. If she didn't like it, she could have broken up with him, I'm not sure why its any of our business.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:08 AM   #315
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Nothing she's said suggests she was forced to stay. If she didn't like it, she could have broken up with him, I'm not sure why its any of our business.
Lines are definitely getting blurred here as they were previously intimate but had broke up but still decided to go on this road trip together and apparently shared hotel rooms -- that said, still seems like a dick-ish and aggressive move as the bed is typically in the main space of a hotel room so there was nowhere for her to hide. Although he did suggest that she go outside, why didn't he just go into a shower to rub one out? Seems way overly presumptuous to assume anyone else would want to be in the same room while he is satisfying himself.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 03:27 AM   #316
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, to live a life where you could drop into a random hockey message board and find guys actually discussing where you personally do your rubbing out and the suitability of your choices.... There but for the grace of god do we all go.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #317
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Oh, to live a life where you could drop into a random hockey message board and find guys actually discussing where you personally do your rubbing out and the suitability of your choices.... There but for the grace of god do we all go.
you just randomly dropped into the off topic section and into a thread about sexual assault? lot of accidental mouse clicking there.

what point are you trying to make?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #318
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
However, as it says in the article he made it clear it was going to happen when and where he said. As snootchiebootchies mentions, there isn't a lot of recourse for that when you're on the road.

To me, it actually contextualizes things a bit. It seems this behavior is more of a sexual compulsion/fetish (maybe control) than a power thing. Of course I can't say that it didn't become part of it later.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #319
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you just randomly dropped into the off topic section and into a thread about sexual assault? lot of accidental mouse clicking there.

what point are you trying to make?
Not me. Nobody's discussing where I do that. I'm just commenting on the life of LCK. He's at a point in life where regular people in random places all over the internet are discussing where he chooses to rub one out while travelling with an ex-gf. Whether he should rub one out while lying on the bed or go to the shower.

Glad that's not me, though I suppose there is certainly something to be said for having reached a point in life where the average Joe considers that discussion worth their time. Still, not what I want discussions of me to be about in public life.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #320
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Monday:

Charlie Rose 8 accusers
Al Franken 2nd accuser
NY Times reporter Thrush suspended
NBC news fires Halperin

Last edited by troutman; 11-20-2017 at 06:09 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote