Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #461
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 470 is still fine I just want to be able to run some games I have at higher settings. It starts to struggle with some settings in Battlefield or Ghost Recon like the draw distance and high quality shadows. Mid-level graphics settings it'd probably be okay for another year or so, really, I'm just getting greedy and with Black Friday coming up, figure why not upgrade
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #462
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I have a display issue I could use some help on...

I have a work Lenovo ThinkPad using USB 3.0 to a ThinkPad Dock. I then have a DVI out on the dock that I connect to a DVI to USB C adapter and then plug it into my USB C monitor. But it is not being recognized. I replaced the DVI cable, same result. Is it the DVI to USB C adapter? Or because of the chain of connections I wont be able to get it to work? Should I use USB 3.0 out from the dock to USB C monitor? Or do I need to avoid the dock entirely in order to get the USB C monitor to work? Thanks

Laptop > USB 3.0 > Dock > DVI out > DVI to USB C adaptor > USB C monitor

Edit:

Or is this more of a USB C issue with my monitor? It is a LG 43UD79-B, http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43U...hd-led-monitor

Can I output my laptop, my laptop dock or even my desktop card RX 570 to USB C? All the USB C cables I google talk about compatibility with Macbook, Chromebook, etc.

Last edited by RW99; 10-27-2017 at 08:37 PM.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #463
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I have a display issue I could use some help on...
Can you link to which adapter you have? Normally, these adapters are for USB-C to DVI and/or DP and/or HDMI; the ones that do the opposite are pretty rare, if not non-existent.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #464
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Yeah looks like I'm out of luck. Short of having a Macbook or Chromebook, or some other new device coming out, I will have no use for the USB C input Expensive work around it is!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #465
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Well, I did my budget build last spring with intentions of keeping it below $1000 and upgrading later. Re-used my old HDD to save money, and went with cheap-ish GPU and CPU's to get me by.

Getting the itch to finish what I started now. Here's the parts I have now that I'm thinking of upgrading

CPU: Intel Core i3 7450k @ 4.2Ghz. A good little CPU but limited with 2 cores. Any recommendations here? Would an i5 7600k be a strong enough upgrade to bother replacing it, or should I just go right for something like the i7 7700k? Motherboard is a LGA 1151 socket

GPU: Radeon 470 4GB - A solid budget card at the time I bought it but already showing it's age, especially with only 4gb of graphics memory. Looking at 8gb cards now. Is spending the $400- ish on a RX 580 a worthwhile upgrade, or is that just asking to be looking at a replacement in a year. Would you guys reccomend spending the extra $150-$200 on a GTX 1070? I've had luck with Radeon and GeForce, no brand preference here.

Obviously a SSD is on my list as well.

Looking to keep the upgrades below $800 all in, although if someone were to make a good case at spending closer to $1000 I'd listen to it. Not in a rush to buy, likely waiting for Black Friday sales. Any recommendations are appreciated guys! Thanks

Scratch all that. Figured I'd just go all in. New plan is to get a z370 motherboard, i7 8700k cpu and a 1080 Ti

Last edited by btimbit; 11-01-2017 at 06:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #466
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Might just be a shoddy solder job. If the fans are still spinning (and you didn't accidentally turn them off with a fan controller or something similar) I wouldn't stress it.

You can always replace them with fancier ones if needed.
Yeah I think it's just cheap or something. 3 of the 4 LEDs aren't working now but the fan still works. I might replace it at some point but only when I actually feel like getting around to cleaning up my cabling at the same time, which I have no desire to do at the moment.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #467
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking to play some more recent and and graphics intensive games on the PC, so I'm researching video cards. The recommended video card specs for Total War: Warhammer are:

AMD Radeon R9 270X 2048MB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048MB @ 1080p

I've tried to figure out what those requirements mean and it's all rather cryptic to me. None of the cards I see on Best Buy or Memory Express seem to have those exact values. This seems close:

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 OC Edition (2GB of GDDR5 memory)

Is that enough power? I'm not interested in dropping $500 on a graphics card, and I won't be playing FPS games online. I'm just hoping to play games like Total War with a smooth picture, without spending more than $200.

Thanks.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #468
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm looking to play some more recent and and graphics intensive games on the PC, so I'm researching video cards.
In the sub-$200 market for video cards, the typical choices would be the Nvidia 1050 Ti and 1050 and the AMD RX 560. Here's an article that might help (on page 3 is a benchmark for TW:War Hammer):

https://www.techspot.com/review/1430...orce-gtx-1050/

If your budget is $200, I think the 1050 Ti is the best option and its extra memory should allow it age better than the 1050. Staples has one for $199.99 before coupon:

https://www.staples.ca/en/ZOTAC-GeFo...6_1-CA_1_20001
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #469
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely 1050 ti for <$200

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M4KGTNI/?tag=pcp0f-20
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #470
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

So when I go out of town for work which is really just once a year for a week I bring my laptop to game on. Its an older Dell XPS with a 450mGT so its past its prime. Recently I stumbled upon adding an external video card using https://www.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-...p-1011222.html

Its not pretty and it is a little finicky but at the expense of carrying a video card and power supply with me I get great quality again even using my old 770GTX. Only works for external monitors also but it added some life to my aging craptop.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #471
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Friends, I'm looking for a solution to a monitor problem!

I've currently got a Lenovo PC, with a Dell monitor (hooked up with a DVI cable).

I just bought a Gateway monitor, with the hope of running dual monitors. But the PC isn't detecting the monitor. Even when I disconnect the Dell monitor, and try to connect just the Gateway monitor, it still says No Signal. The PC does make that 'connection' sound when I plug it in, but nothing shows up.

Any thoughts?
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #472
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31 View Post
I just bought a Gateway monitor, with the hope of running dual monitors. But the PC isn't detecting the monitor. Even when I disconnect the Dell monitor, and try to connect just the Gateway monitor, it still says No Signal. The PC does make that 'connection' sound when I plug it in, but nothing shows up.

Any thoughts?
If the PC makes the "connection" sound, then it should show in the Control Panel under Devices and Printers. Have you tried the menu buttons on the monitor itself? It may set to a different input mode - look for DVI or Auto.

The computer may also be trying to force a resolution the monitor can't display onto it.

Last idea - turn off your computer, plug in only the Gateway monitor and see what happens when you turn it on?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #473
Kolbe31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If the PC makes the "connection" sound, then it should show in the Control Panel under Devices and Printers. Have you tried the menu buttons on the monitor itself? It may set to a different input mode - look for DVI or Auto.

The computer may also be trying to force a resolution the monitor can't display onto it.

Last idea - turn off your computer, plug in only the Gateway monitor and see what happens when you turn it on?
Unfortunately I've disconnected the working monitor (using DVI) to connect the new one. So while it makes a sound saying it's connected, I can't see anything on the screen and therefore can't access the Control Panel.

Pressing any of the menu buttons on the monitor don't seem to do anything.

I did try your last suggestion, and that didn't work either. Although that connection sound was made two or three times while it was booting up.

UPDATE: I was able to connect the Dell monitor using a DVI-to-Displayport adaptor, so now I just need to get another DVI cable to connect the Gateway monitor and I'll be able to actually see what's going on!

Last edited by Kolbe31; 11-14-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Kolbe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #474
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've thought about upgrading/building a new PC for the past couple of years but have held off since I haven't been working much. Started a new job recently and with Black Friday approaching I am fairly certain I'll be tackling a new build next weekend. Haven't fully decided what I am going to get and still doing some research but I am thinking something along these lines:

i7 8700K
Hyper Evo 212
GTX 1080
16GB Ram
850 EVO 500 GB SSD
WD Black 2 TB
Fractal Design Define R5 Case

Haven't really decided on a MB yet and I will most likely be re-using my current SSD and 1 TB WD Black HDD in some capacity. I'll also be transferring my Windows 10 over to the new build.

Planning on getting one of these: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65193 and probably two more 24" monitors at some point. I will fully admit that I am not looking to get triple monitors for gaming. I love having dual monitors but I've always wanted a third for multitasking and ultra-wide monitors don't really appeal to me. I am not sure I want three 27" monitors on my desk either. Am I going completely overkill with the GTX 1080 if I am only going to be gaming at 1080p? I could probably step it down to a 1070. Also, what are the general thoughts on the i7 8700K? I have a feeling that I've talked myself into spending more money than I probably need to haha. Looking to keep the build around $2000 (not including monitors).
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #475
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I've thought about upgrading/building a new PC for the past couple of years but have held off since I haven't been working much. Started a new job recently and with Black Friday approaching I am fairly certain I'll be tackling a new build next weekend. Haven't fully decided what I am going to get and still doing some research but I am thinking something along these lines:

i7 8700K
Hyper Evo 212
GTX 1080
16GB Ram
850 EVO 500 GB SSD
WD Black 2 TB
Fractal Design Define R5 Case

Haven't really decided on a MB yet and I will most likely be re-using my current SSD and 1 TB WD Black HDD in some capacity. I'll also be transferring my Windows 10 over to the new build.

Planning on getting one of these: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65193 and probably two more 24" monitors at some point. I will fully admit that I am not looking to get triple monitors for gaming. I love having dual monitors but I've always wanted a third for multitasking and ultra-wide monitors don't really appeal to me. I am not sure I want three 27" monitors on my desk either. Am I going completely overkill with the GTX 1080 if I am only going to be gaming at 1080p? I could probably step it down to a 1070. Also, what are the general thoughts on the i7 8700K? I have a feeling that I've talked myself into spending more money than I probably need to haha. Looking to keep the build around $2000 (not including monitors).
Yes.

Yes.

It's good, and overclocks well.

Honestly, Either kick it down to a 1070 if you're staying at 1080p, or bump your primary monitor up to 27" (i run a 24/27/24 setup just like this).

Also if you bump down to a 1070, consider re-investing some of that money into an M.2 drive instead as your primary boot drive:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64408 - About 80$ more but 4x faster than a standard SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #476
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yes.

Yes.

It's good, and overclocks well.

Honestly, Either kick it down to a 1070 if you're staying at 1080p, or bump your primary monitor up to 27" (i run a 24/27/24 setup just like this).

Also if you bump down to a 1070, consider re-investing some of that money into an M.2 drive instead as your primary boot drive:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64408 - About 80$ more but 4x faster than a standard SSD.
Interesting, I am completely unfamiliar with M.2 drives but I am watching some videos. Seems relatively straight forward and for the price difference I think it's a no-brainer.

You have a Predator monitor right? How do you like the size of the panel? I am currently using a 25" display as my primary monitor and I am just not sure if 27" will feel too large. I do have some room to shift it further away from me though. Either way I probably won't be getting a new display until Christmas.

Thanks for the help!
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #477
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

All in all, a productive day

Spoiler!

Last edited by btimbit; 11-19-2017 at 11:52 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #478
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
You have a Predator monitor right? How do you like the size of the panel? I am currently using a 25" display as my primary monitor and I am just not sure if 27" will feel too large
I took Psych's recommendation and got the predator one and it's been amazing.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59699

I got it during a sale - I bet it's reduced for Black Friday....
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #479
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I took Psych's recommendation and got the predator one and it's been amazing.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59699

I got it during a sale - I bet it's reduced for Black Friday....
When did you buy it? When I bought my monitor yesterday at MemEx the guy that helped me said if the one I bought goes on sale if I come in during that sale I can get refunded the difference
Old 11-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #480
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey guys,

I'm helping someone out with a new desktop build, but I've been out of the loop.

What's the best choice for a CPU these days? Looking to buy pretty soon, potentially taking advantage of BF/CM sales.

He's going to be playing games like Assassin's Creed, the new Far Cry, etc. Most likely not going to be overclocking, he's not an IT guy.

Thinking about the i5-8600K

Last edited by Stealth22; 11-20-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote