Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #1201
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

My wallet really didn't need me to find out about this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748S1VDC?th=1

I wanted it for the Retropie alone, but knowing it works with the Switch as well makes it a no brainer to buy
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #1202
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
My wallet really didn't need me to find out about this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748S1VDC?th=1

I wanted it for the Retropie alone, but knowing it works with the Switch as well makes it a no brainer to buy
I bought the nes360 for my switch and it was terrible. Lag made the controller completely unusable when playing 4 player games. Yes, I did upgrade the firmware after they claimed to fix it. There were also some other minor issues that I could have dealt with were it not so laggy.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #1203
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best thing about Rocket League on the Switch is matchmaking matching me up with noobs.

...the worst thing about Rocket League on the Switch is matchmaking matching me up with noobs,
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #1204
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The best thing about Rocket League on the Switch is matchmaking matching me up with noobs.

...the worst thing about Rocket League on the Switch is matchmaking matching me up with noobs,
Just ball chase and carry them all.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #1205
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Just ball chase and carry them all.
I've tried that, it works sometimes but is still a bit risky, because I leave our net completely undefended (and there's usually at least 1 Xbox/PC player that sort of knows what they're doing). I basically play the whole game mid-field, and watch my beautiful set-ups constantly get missed until I get frustrated and start tucking them in myself (if I don't get slammed in to by my teammates).

Still, the game is pretty functional on Switch. Graphics looks decent, texture and object resolution is a lot lower (particularly in handheld mode) but when you're in the thick of a game you don't really notice.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #1206
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got my Switch yesterday. Ordered it from Amazon, Fedex just left it on my front steps. It was sitting there for about 7 hours until I got home, so was paranoid someone might take it.

Good console. Only thing I'm a bit miffed about is the realization that I can't charge the joycons in the grip controller it comes with. I have to buy a charging one separately. I guess that's textbook Nintendo for milking as much as possible from the consumer, so I'm not surprised. Not anything make or break, but annoying nonetheless.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #1207
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every game I have played has been more comfortable without the grip anyway. I don't use the straps/extension. I prefer to keep my arms loose at my sides. And when I'm done I just slot them in the console, though they are good for many game sessions without needing a charge.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #1208
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

True, I did play games like that on the wii with the nunchuk, so I'll probably be playing it like that too. I just wanted it more for charging purposes without needing to slide it back into the console. I'll be playing mostly on my TV, so I didn't want to keep sliding it in and out of the cradle unnecessarily to avoid scratching the screen. I guess I could get a screen protector, but was hoping to do without one.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #1209
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I leave mine in the cradle, you don't have to take it out to remove/attach the controllers. I did get a screen protector though, becuase it is plastic and I'm sure it will get a nick in it one day...I do have mine in a nice spot right next to my couch though. I guess it all depends on your living room setup.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #1210
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah the glass screen protectors are so cheap no reason not to get one.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #1211
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, you guys are right. Can't go wrong with $10, so just ordered mine from Amazon.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:10 AM   #1212
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone seen any deals for the Switch?

I'm guessing I'll have to wait until at least after Christmas. How long until this thing comes off it's original $400 tag?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #1213
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Has anyone seen any deals for the Switch?

I'm guessing I'll have to wait until at least after Christmas. How long until this thing comes off it's original $400 tag?
There's been a couple random deals like 15% off the Mario Odyssey Bundle at Toys R Us, and most recently 20% off anything which you could have potentially gotten the switch at Shoppers Drug Mart.

A proper sale probably won't happen well into March I'd say and even if it does start earlier it'll probably be on the bundles.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #1214
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The $400 price tag will be a thing until demand starts to die down and when parts become cheaper. In particular, NAND memory chips. Near as I can tell, the prices on those parts are still rising. That, in turn, might indicate why Nintendo is suddenly planning to produce an absurd number of Switches next year - they might think that prices will continue to rise and placed a huge bulk order at current prices to avoid shifting into a situation where they are losing money on every Switch sold.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #1215
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anybody know if Mario Party is available for Nintendo Switch? I can’t seem to buy it anywhere. Is there only a 3ds version?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #1216
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, it's not. I'm sure they will make one eventually.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #1217
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Mario Party is 3DS only. I would imagine they'll crap out a Switch Mario Party game some time next year.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #1218
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Mario Party is 3DS only. I would imagine they'll crap out a Switch Mario Party game some time next year.
I hope so. Really fun way to relax. Play some mario party while eating a giant bag of Doritos.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #1219
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

6.5 hours into Xenoblade 2 and I'm actually really enjoying it. It owns the 'J' in 'JRPG' but it's entertaining and endearing. I like the characters, the story is intriguing so far,a dn the combat is good. Similar to BOTW, the scale for what is technically a handheld game is incredible. The music is fantastic too.

Obvious complaint is the weird character designs, particularly on the female Blades. They go with the anime exaggerated boobs/butts and ridiculous skimpy outfits for all of them and it just feels out of place. The voice acting is hit or miss, though I do like the choice to have a wide variety of accents. And it still does the annoying thing the last two games did where you'll be out battling your level 9 mob and suddenly some level 80 optional ultra monster will aggro on you and come over and one shot your whole party. Overall though, I'm having a great time with it and really getting into it.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #1220
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Honestly, if the game is "owning" the J in JRPG, oversexed girls in skimpy outfits is expected, not out of place.

Still, I'll see what you mean eventually. I've picked it up, but won't crack it until I finish with either Fire Emblem Warriors or Mario Odyssey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: