Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48 Friday, November 17th, 2017

What happens when the Calgary Flames leave the Saddledome

Imagining what might happen to the Saddledome when the Calgary Flames are no longer the primary tenant is the basis of a new report.
The document, titled Calgary Saddledome Potential Future Uses Study, was obtained by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) through a Freedom of Information request.
City council is expected to review the report in the new year.
Commissioned by the Calgary Saddledome Foundation — which was formed in the 1980s to operate the facility — the report lists four main possibilities for what happens after the Flames leave:
  • Continue operating the 'Dome without a major tenant.
  • Repurpose it into a recreation centre, convention centre, multi-use facility or Olympic venue.
  • Decommission it.
  • Demolish it.

Gaudreau's idols are impressed: Briere and St. Louis praise Flames' sniper

Daniel Briere had seen enough to know that he would be seeing a lot more of this kid.
Then an alternate captain for the Philadelphia Flyers, Briere had heard the buzz about the teeny talent from that area who’d been terrorizing defenders at the NCAA level.
But he didn’t sneak a peek of Johnny Gaudreau in game action until he tuned into coverage of the 2013 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship from Ufa, Russia.
“Everybody kept talking about how small he was compared to the other kids on the ice, and it’s funny because it reminded me so much of the same things I had heard when I was 16, 17, 18, 19 years old. I was hearing the same things about him,” Briere recalled. “And the first time I saw him play, I never even noticed his size. To me, it was the way that he moved on the ice. It’s like he was floating on the ice. His hands were so quick.

Calgary Flames: Somewhere out there, Jay Feaster is pleased

After the 2012 NHL Entry Level Draft, nobody quite knew what the future would hold for the Calgary Flames first round draft pick, Mark Jankowski. Nobody quite predicted his first goal would come in 2017, bouncing off his leg, and assisted by Jaromir Jagr. But we’ll get to that.
After taken at the 21st overall pick in 2012, it was somewhat confusing seeing how Jankowski wasn’t projected at being drafted until around the middle of the second round. But Jay Feaster always saw a lot of potential in him – more than anybody had.
Players with high trade value from all 31 NHL teams

Calgary Flames: Micheal Ferland might stick on the Flames' top scoring line alongside Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan for the bulk of the season, and he might not. However it shakes out, the 25-year-old 2010 fifth-round draft selection isn't likely to string together too many five-game goal runs (plus two assists) as he has at present. Fantasy competitors in deeper leagues may want to capitalize on moving the winger at the current inflated value.
NHL rookie rankings: Everyone is chasing Clayton Keller

After the spectacular debuts over the past two years of Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine, Jack Eichel, Artemi Panarin, Zach Werenski and more, it appeared that this year's rookies would shine a little less brightly, or perhaps not generate the hype of their most recent predecessors. While the preseason hype train was fairly subdued in comparison, several players in this season's class have grabbed the hockey world's attention, none more so than Clayton Keller.
The 19-year-old rookie from the St. Louis area has been a scoring machine for the Arizona Coyotes. Keller's speed, skill and offensive sense has put the league on notice. His brilliance is obscured, rather notably, by the disastrous start for the Coyotes.
Why Cammalleri – Jokinen trade happened, and what’s next

One of the most optimistic scenarios was reflected in the headline: what if Edmonton tries to diversify its offense by putting Cammalleri on Connor McDavid‘s wing, possibly opening up Leon Draisaitl to try to carry his own line?Perhaps that’s a possibility as time goes on – coaches juggle lines about as much as college kids used to love kicking around hacky sacks – but it sounds like that won’t be the case early on.
Bob McKenzie swung by the NBCSN studio on Wednesday to provide more insight, and from the sound of things, the two forwards are trading places and, essentially, roles.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Love the Gaudreau article. I can't people on here were actually considering the idea of trading him.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nemanja2306 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand what's so hard to believe about it.

I'd be fine with any Flame being traded IF it made the team better.

Granted, with Gaudreau it would have to be one hell of a trade to actually make the team better.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Working Overtime: Heroes and Zeroes of 3 on 3
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...oes-3-3-hockey