Exp:

All star Chris Kelly is on a PTO with them now
Old 09-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #8402
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

I don't get it. Is it supposed to be an army captain's uniform because he is the captain?

I get the one where McDavid is stomping on the Flames player. Oilers fans have a massive inferiority complex with Calgary. I also get the one comparing McDavid and others to the stars of the 80s. Oilers fans love reminiscing about the 80s. This one makes zero sense though, am I missing something?

It's a good marketing ploy for the radio station though. Oilers fans love anything related to the team especially if it involves McJesus.
So Conner joined the Village People? I don't get it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #8403
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid is currently exiled in the Saint Helena of the NHL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #8404
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

All these paintings and renditions are beyond creepy.

But even more than that, they demonstrate that it goes way beyond fandom to idolization with far too many of these Oiler fans.

Just horrific.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #8405
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
All these paintings and renditions are beyond creepy.

But even more than that, they demonstrate that it goes way beyond fandom to idolization with far too many of these Oiler fans.

Just horrific.
Its ok man.

Some people just don't understand art.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #8406
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I understand art and that ain't it.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #8407
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I think I understand art and that ain't it.
It's art. It's just very, very bad art.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #8408
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd like to see this hit a million views before we lock it up and start a new chapter
Old 09-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #8409
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I saw the headline to this article and immediately thought "of course this has to be in Edmonton" and low-and-behold, it's MacEwan University.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...erboardfbcaads

"A Canadian university transferred more than $11 million CAD (around $9 million USD) to a scammer that university staff believed to be a vendor in a phishing attack, a university statement published on Thursday states."

Staff at the University thought the Nigerian prince was a legitimate vendor I guess. E=NG
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #8410
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how it's mentioned in every post the artist made, that the Edmonton Oilers won't get back to her.

I'd love to be a fly in the wall of Oilers HQ as the picture makes its rounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #8411
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
It's art. It's just very, very bad art.
Just because somebody painted it doesn't mean it's art.

"The imitator is a poor kind of creature. If the man who paints only the tree, or flower, or other surface he sees before him were an artist, the king of artists would be the photographer."
– James McNeill Whistler

Now, if the painting were a subversive way of showing the way Oilers fans creepily idolize a teenager, then it would be art. Or if it were a larger commentary on sports fandom in general as being the same kind of tribalism that militaries kill each other over, that would be even moreso.

But it's not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #8412
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Chiapet's interview with TSN he states that Russell is a top 5 defenseman in the league and Coiler fans are now thinking they got quite the "deal". Chiarelli is the perfect GM to lead that franchise into disaster by signing overpriced talent to long contracts that nobody else will touch without Edmonton retaining salary for years to come. The next GM is going to have quite the mess to clean up.

And any Coiler fan that thinks that painting is "art" probably has some of McJesus's hair under their pillow that they hold at night.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #8413
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post

"The imitator is a poor kind of creature. If the man who paints only the tree, or flower, or other surface he sees before him were an artist, the king of artists would be the photographer."
– James McNeill Whistler

Now, if the painting were a subversive way of showing the way Oilers fans creepily idolize a teenager, then it would be art. Or if it were a larger commentary on sports fandom in general as being the same kind of tribalism that militaries kill each other over, that would be even moreso.

But it's not.
It's a great example of 'kitsch'. Someday it may be considered art, but today is not that day.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #8414
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
True… but it sure as hell ain't interior decorating.

We need to get away from the idea that the word ‘art’ is somehow a guarantee of quality, and get back to the recognition that there is good and bad in art; that it can be skilfully done or poorly; that it can be well conceived or trite; that it can convey a striking idea or emotion, or a dull and banal one. The portrait of McDavid is poorly done, trite, dull, and banal, but there is nothing in principle to distinguish it in kind from good portraiture. It is merely a low and kitschy abuse of what is inherently an artistic medium.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #8415
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
Chiapet's interview with TSN [B]he states that Russell is a top 5 defenseman in the league and Coiler fans are now thinking they got quite the "deal"...
When I first skimmed your post I read it as stating that Russell was a #5 defenseman. My initial comment was going to disparage the Oilers for having to start their #5 defenseman way up the depth chart at #3.

After reading your post more closely, I am now uncertain about whether you misheard Chiarelli, because in what universe is Kris Russell better than 98% of all NHL blue liners? This is borderline lunacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #8416
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
True… but it sure as hell ain't interior decorating.

We need to get away from the idea that the word ‘art’ is somehow a guarantee of quality, and get back to the recognition that there is good and bad in art; that it can be skilfully done or poorly; that it can be well conceived or trite; that it can convey a striking idea or emotion, or a dull and banal one. The portrait of McDavid is poorly done, trite, dull, and banal, but there is nothing in principle to distinguish it in kind from good portraiture. It is merely a low and kitschy abuse of what is inherently an artistic medium.
I agree in general, but I don't agree that any portrait is "art" because it is in the same category as portraits which are art. I think that what is art is not merely a category exercise, as that admits way too much which is clearly not art, and therefore there must be some other determining factor.

For example, if I take a selfie of me sitting at my work desk (and not working...), simply because it is a photograph does not make it art, even though photography is an artistic medium.

What I would say is "artistic" is something that has non-zero artistic merit. That could be in technique, uniqueness, message, subversiveness, or any number of things. That portrait has, in my view, zero artistic merit and is therefore not art.

The great thing about art though is that others may disagree, not only whether that portrait has any artistic merit, but whether that is an appropriate way to determine whether something is or is not art, and even what counts as artistic merit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #8417
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 09-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #8418
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
Chiapet's interview with TSN he states that Russell is a top 5 defenseman in the league and Coiler fans are now thinking they got quite the "deal". Chiarelli is the perfect GM to lead that franchise into disaster by signing overpriced talent to long contracts that nobody else will touch without Edmonton retaining salary for years to come. The next GM is going to have quite the mess to clean up.
Seriously!??? Can we get a link to this interview?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #8419
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
The thread is more of a rivalry type thread - when it involves trying to disparage a city and gain internet points off of someone's death, it reeks of a complete lack of tact. Making jokes about someone's death, particularly in this context, isn't funny or edgy, it is just being an ass.
When pointing out a high murder rate in Edmonton, do you think this is saying Edmonton is no good because it is full of people getting murdered?

Pointing out Edmonton's murder rate shows that Edmonton is no good because it has more murderers than others. The victims are not being made fun of.

No one is getting internet points off of someone's death.

I think we'd all like to live in a place that didn't have violent crime. Violent crime makes it a lesser (or "no good") place to live.

Last edited by Eric Vail; 09-11-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #8420
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Seriously!??? Can we get a link to this interview?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/why-chia...nder%7E1204758

I had to go listen to it myself. About 42 minutes in is where he talks about Russell. The paraphrase by the poster above was a very poor one. Mackenzie asks about Russell and how come the analytics community and the people who watch the game disagree so much on Russell's value. What Chiarelli actually says is that according to the Oilers software and their own internal analytics is that they made a stat about zone exits and according to this Russell was one of the top 4-5 defensemen in the league at zone exits or outletting the puck.

The interview is interesting in that Mackenzie asks a lot of hard questions and Chiarelli stutters and "ummm"s a lot. Every time I hear Chiarelli, Benning and Treliving speak its obvious we have the sharpest one of the bunch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread