Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #721
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Other than Brouwer, any of the other RWS have a skill-set that would be absolutely terrible alongside Monahan and Gaudreau. Frolik is the best choice amongst bad options.
You don't play someone out of their position because "he's the least bad option".

Show me a team that has it's 3 best forwards on the top line and it's next 3 best forwards on the second line. It doesn't happen. The NHL is all about pairings now. Pairs with chemistry and a 3rd guy that can slot in and complement the pairing.

Frolik is a player you throw out in the defensive zone so his line can safely bring it up ice with the goal of having the goalie hold on for a faceoff and if you score that's great. Then you throw on the skilled players for your offensive face-off. This is how NHL hockey works.

How many games did Hartley dry Frolik on the top line? In and around 0? How many analysts have suggested Frolik on the top line at any point? 0.

So either you know something that every hockey professional with a voice does, or you are way out to left field.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #722
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I see Bollig in the AHL and Hamilton & Hathaway as the 13/14th forwards. Aside from that, I might also switch Ferland and Shinkaruk...but essentially you nailed it!
I would agree. 1RW will be a revolving circus all year unless we make a big trade (unlikely with our tight cap situation). Pribyl will get a look later in season. Chiasson, Shinkaruk, Ferland and possibly Bouma will get long looks at various times. Golden opportunity for one of these individuals this year.

It is going to be interesting to see whether there will be cap space for a UFA signing for 1RW next year. Elliott's new contract (2-3 years) will be absorbed by Wideman cap saving. Bennett raise will be covered by Engelland and Bollig. Does not leave much for a UFA.

Is there a KHL skilled RW available like Panarin?

From what I have seen. Tkachuk sticks with big club (fast learner) and Jankowski gets 1C minutes in Stockton this year with first call-up if a centre hurt.

I like the idea of Stajan on the LW of Backlund and Frolik to let Hamilton centre fourth line. Lets see if we see Stajan at wing in remaining preseason games.

Little room for Higgins but his SH play is strong. Rather have Hathaway as a high energy 13-14F.

On D: It is status quo for one last season. One or both of Wideman and Engelland will be traded at deadline for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Jokipakka is almost certainly going to LV in expansion draft. Kulak, Kylington have less than one season of top line Stockton minutes to prepare for an almost certain Flames roster spot later this year or beginning of next year.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #723
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Would love to get Nichuskin on the RW at this point. Makes total sense for him and the Flames, and they probably have some leverage over Dallas.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #724
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
I posted this in the other thread, but I would try Freddy Hamilton on that top-line RW. He has size, tenacity, will battle int he boards and has decent hands. No idea if the chemistry is there, as we can't ice a line like that until Gaudreau signs, but might be worth a try. Fall back to Brouwer if that doesn't work. Don't think we should break up the Backlund-Frolik duo, they're going to be 2/3rds of a top shutdown line. Only drawback of moving Brouwer to the top line RW is that Bennett loses a guy who can finish and we don't have a lot of skill to ice with Bennett after that. Personally want a vet like Brouwer on his wing.
You know I hadn't really put much stock into having Freddie on the top line, but thinking about what Freddie brings and what the top line is missing, it really does make sense. He's fast, tenacious, good puck possession, and has shown some NHL finishing ability. Also seems to have a lot of chemistry with his brother which is just gravy. Not to mention he has the eyes of an angel.

Strongly disagree with moving Brouwer from the Bennett line. They have the potential to be just as productive as the top line when considering they won't be against the top shutdown guys.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #725
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Would love to get Nichuskin on the RW at this point. Makes total sense for him and the Flames, and they probably have some leverage over Dallas.
Nichuskin is in the KHL for the next 2 years. Dallas would love to have them in their top-6 right now as half their top nine are injured.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #726
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
You don't play someone out of their position because "he's the least bad option".
Frolik isn't out of position playing RW. And Hartley didn't play Frolik on the top line because he had better options.

Not trying to say that I'm smarter than anyone else for suggesting this, or trying to insinuate that every team must ice it's top three forwards as it's first line, or that I "know something that every hockey professional with a voice does" (whatever that's supposed to mean). Just stating a preference in a prediction thread.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #727
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Nichuskin is in the KHL for the next 2 years. Dallas would love to have them in their top-6 right now as half their top nine are injured.
Does he not have an out clause? Also I'm pretty sure he'd not playing for Dallas as long as Lindy Ruff is in charge on the bench.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #728
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Frolik isn't out of position playing RW. And Hartley didn't play Frolik on the top line because he had better options.

Not trying to say that I'm smarter than anyone else for suggesting this, or trying to insinuate that every team must ice it's top three forwards as it's first line, or that I "know something that every hockey professional with a voice does" (whatever that's supposed to mean). Just stating a preference in a prediction thread.
Are you suggesting Hudler is better than Frolik? Hudler was more suited for the job, I agree and this is my exact point. A 1-dimensional half injured Hudler was still a better option than Frolik.

Ferland and Shinkaruk were also better options than Frolik which is why they played on the top line and Frolik didn't.

Nothing has changed between last season and this season, except we have no hudler and more options.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #729
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Does he not have an out clause? Also I'm pretty sure he'd not playing for Dallas as long as Lindy Ruff is in charge on the bench.
His issue was ice time. Since he signed his contract there have been 2 more injuries to their top-6 and he'd have the ice time he's looking for.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2016/9/...khl-nhl-rumors

Quote:
The Dallas Stars retain Nichushkin's NHL rights until he is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent at 27 (or approximately six more seasons) or until they trade them to a different team (if they choose to do so). Unless there is a specific out clause in the KHL contract like he had when he was drafted, Nichushkin will not be able to return to the NHL for at least the next two seasons.
And there's been no mention of him having an out-clause. It's bye-bye Valeri for 2 years.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #730
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think if Yakupov still wants out of Edmonton, he would be an interesting case for the 1RW slot.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #731
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think if Yakupov still wants out of Edmonton, he would be an interesting case for the 1RW slot.
Lord no
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #732
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Lord no
Can you (or anyone else) elaborate on why this is a bad idea? Other than Yakupov being a Greaser and likely having his development hobbled by that organization, of course.

It's not the best idea I've heard, but it is far from the worst.

Pros: Likely comes pretty cheap, but Flames are still likely paying a premium. Still may have top-tier upside, given a change of scenery. Would not need to drive his line, instead would just be expected to plant himself in the slot and finish. Would be hilarious if he emerges as a top-end talent after leaving Edmonton.

Cons: May never recover from his staggered/rushed development. Inconsistency may continue to plague him, despite playing with one of the best playmakers in the game. May be a defensive liability, putting more pressure on Monahan. May be too soft and too much of a perimeter player to compliment the line.

Definitely not the Hossa type we're all hoping for...but Yakupov strikes me as a Kristian Huselius type of situation where he could flourish in another organization.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #733
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Depending on the price, I'd be open to it.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #734
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Can you (or anyone else) elaborate on why this is a bad idea? Other than Yakupov being a Greaser and likely having his development hobbled by that organization, of course.

Pros: Likely comes pretty cheap, but Flames are still likely paying a premium. Still may have top-tier upside, given a change of scenery. Would not need to drive his line, instead would just be expected to plant himself in the slot and finish. Would be hilarious if he emerges as a top-end talent after leaving Edmonton.

Cons: May never recover from his staggered/rushed development. Inconsistency may continue to plague him, despite playing with one of the best playmakers in the game. May be a defensive liability, putting more pressure on Monahan. May be too soft and too much of a perimeter player to compliment the line.

Definitely not the Hossa type we're all hoping for...but Yakupov strikes me as a Kristian Huselius type of situation where he could flourish in another organization.
One thing that I like about Yak despite him not panning out is his effort. He forechecks and chases the puck, but often he over-chases, but I suspect that's because he's been told by his coaches to do so with hopes of him being more defensively responsible
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #735
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Shikaruk
????-Bennett-Brouwer
Korpikoski-Backlund-Frolik
Bouma-Stajan-Hathaway

That leave Ferland and Tkachuk to fight it out for that last LW slot.

Gio-Brodie
Jokipakka-Hamilton
Kylington-Engelland
Wideman

I think Kylington gets a spot before Kulak.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #736
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Predict the 2016/2017 Flames Starting Lineup

Gaudreau-Monahan-Shinkaruk/Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Stajan-Backlund-Frolik
Bouma-Hamilton-Hathaway/Chiasson

Giordano-Brodie
Kulak/Wotherspoon-Hamilton
Jokipakka-Engelland
Wideman

Elliott
Johnson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #737
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

13 Gaudreau - 23 Monahan - 49 Shinkaruk
19 Tkachuk - 93 Bennett - 36 Brouwer
74 Pribyl - 11 Backlund - 67 Frolik
17 Bouma - 25 Hamilton - 79 Ferland
18 Stajan - 10 Vey

5 Giordano - 7 Brodie
3 Jokipakka - 27 Hamilton
29 Engelland - 6 Wideman
61 Kulak - 58 Kylington

1 Elliott
31 Johnson
82 Gillies

Last edited by TheScorpion; 10-02-2016 at 09:59 PM.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #738
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well for starters it's not really an idea is it. Simply stating, the Flames should consider Yakupov is no more an idea than "the Flames should consider McDavid or Cosby at centre" given none of these players play for us, and no suggestion was made on how we could acquire said player.

Without that info, it's much less an idea as its a random statement and it leads to all sorts of things like people then filling in the blanks on the "how" which results in what seems like ignorantly dismissive comments like "good lord no".
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #739
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Hunter Shinkaruk
Matthew Tkachuk - Sam Bennett - Troy Brouwer
Micheal Ferland - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik
Lance Bouma - Matthew Stajan - Alex Chiasson

xChris Higgins, Freddie Hamilton

Mark Giordano - T.J. Brodie
Jyrki Jokipakka - Dougie Hamilton
Brett Kulak - Deryk Engelland

xDennis Wideman, Tyler Wotherspoon

Brian Elliott
Chad Johnson
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #740
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scorp I think there is about 0% chance Pribyl is in our starting lineup since he is injured and has never played on small ice yet.