Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2024, 02:23 PM   #41
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just returned from a warm-weather trip so have been in shorts for the last month. I was just grocery shopping and noticed several men and teens wearing shorts. I’m a hot person (temperature) but I think those short wearers are generally attention seekers or trying to be macho. I know men who wear shorts at home because their wives insist on running the furnace to a higher temp but we don’t do that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 06:15 PM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Just returned from a warm-weather trip so have been in shorts for the last month. I was just grocery shopping and noticed several men and teens wearing shorts. I’m a hot person (temperature) but I think those short wearers are generally attention seekers or trying to be macho. I know men who wear shorts at home because their wives insist on running the furnace to a higher temp but we don’t do that.
I dont know about where you're at but its like 17 degrees here in Calgary and IMO that absolutely is 'shorts weather.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 08:48 PM   #43
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know about where you're at but its like 17 degrees here in Calgary and IMO that absolutely is 'shorts weather.'
Calling people attention seekers or macho for wearing shorts at 17° is a terrible take when the average daily high in our summer months is only 23°.

Albertans in general are known for flocking to patios and what not once it hits 10° in the winter, it's pretty much a meme at this point... I assure you nobody is seeking attention by wearing shorts when it's literally hot outside. Nobody cares.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 09:11 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Calling people attention seekers or macho for wearing shorts at 17° is a terrible take when the average daily high in our summer months is only 23°.

Albertans in general are known for flocking to patios and what not once it hits 10° in the winter, it's pretty much a meme at this point... I assure you nobody is seeking attention by wearing shorts when it's literally hot outside. Nobody cares.
Agreed, and I'll re-iterate what I said earlier, one of the only things stopping me from wearing shorts in weather like this is conditions and ergo footwear.

Its warm enough for shorts, but with shorts come sandals, and if theres still lots of snow, slush and general muck? I'm not going to do that. I'm not going wear shorts and snow-boots and look like I'm an extra in 'One Flew Over the ####oo's Nest.'

We live in a Society!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-17-2024, 09:18 PM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah! The title of one of the most iconic movies of all time is censored by the swear filter because of the name of a bird! Oh well. You know what I'm talking about.

Heaven forbid we start a 'Birder' thread.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:38 PM   #46
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Threads like these always are a laugh about how certain members are super judgmental about something that has no effect on them at all. Reminds me of the time I dared to say pube beards like Joe Thornton are distasteful. My favorite response from that called me jealous that I couldn't grow a manly beard like him
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:43 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Threads like these always are a laugh about how certain members are super judgmental about something that has no effect on them at all. Reminds me of the time I dared to say pube beards like Joe Thornton are distasteful. My favorite response from that called me jealous that I couldn't grow a manly beard like him
That beard was goddamned glorious. I cant even imagine the maintenance involved in keeping that up.

Then again, he's a wealthy hockey player, he probably has a team of stylists who brush and condition it for him as he closes his eyes, kicks back and sips margaritas in San Jose.

"Yes....yes...comb the beard..."

Old 03-17-2024, 10:55 PM   #48
My2Cents
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Here in Singapore, I question the people who wear coats or hoodies in the middle of the day when the sun is blazing and it's 34 degrees.
Few years ago it got to 21C and everyone had parkas and toques on!
My2Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:11 AM   #49
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Threads like these always are a laugh about how certain members are super judgmental about something that has no effect on them at all.
Sorry, when I see the kids walk from the high school to Starbucks with no jacket in -20 because “image”, they will still be dumbasses to me, even though I’m not effected. Not sure why that changes because they’ve become middle aged.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 08:20 AM   #50
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

yesterday (st patrick's day) it was 20C in kelowna
i washed my truck in shorts, tee shirt and sandals
the winter tires come off the truck tomorrow - can't wait!!!

it's supposed to be 20C again today - i plan on cutting out of work a little early this afternoon so my son and i can wash my wife's car then pressure wash the driveway. the city has had the street sweepers out for a while already so i want to get all the 'winter muck' off my driveway before they get to our neighbourhood

the temp drops a degree tomorrow (first day of spring) to 19C... i guess that's passable since it's spring, but nothing like these balmy winter temps!
Old 03-18-2024, 08:31 AM   #51
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
yesterday (st patrick's day) it was 20C in kelowna
i washed my truck in shorts, tee shirt and sandals
the winter tires come off the truck tomorrow - can't wait!!!
You attention seeking macho man. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:27 AM   #52
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's strange is that in Colombia, local gents wear jeans no matter what the temperature (30c). And never sandals (which kind of makes sense as they view sandals as unhygienic).

When I was there I wore some longer shorts as it was pretty hot for me, and yeah I was a tourist and looked like one, so it's not like the lack of jeans would be the big give-away. I did avoid sandals though
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:30 AM   #53
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Agreed, and I'll re-iterate what I said earlier, one of the only things stopping me from wearing shorts in weather like this is conditions and ergo footwear.

Its warm enough for shorts, but with shorts come sandals, and if theres still lots of snow, slush and general muck? I'm not going to do that. I'm not going wear shorts and snow-boots and look like I'm an extra in 'One Flew Over the ####oo's Nest.'

We live in a Society!
Man, just wear shoes. How do you even get through a day?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:41 AM   #54
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
And never sandals (which kind of makes sense as they view sandals as unhygienic).
I fully understand this but for me it's the opposite; in the summer for any kind of casual activity or errands I wear slides as often as possible to stop my feet from sweating in shoes.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:07 AM   #55
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I fully understand this but for me it's the opposite; in the summer for any kind of casual activity or errands I wear slides as often as possible to stop my feet from sweating in shoes.
I think in Colombia, it's more the fact that the streets are dirty but people themselves are very clean (showered, groomed, clean clothes), so the idea of flip flops makes them wanna gag
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:03 PM   #56
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm with Locke here, Shorts and shoes looks dumb af. Especially if you are still wearing socks that go past the bottom of your ankles. Wearing shoes without socks should get you shot, too.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:26 PM   #57
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fully accept that I'm the weird one here, but I never wear shorts unless I'm on a beach somewhere. I just don't think they look good (or at least I don't think I look good in them, either or)
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:33 PM   #58
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wear shorts all of the time. Hate pants and dress shirts. I live in Van so it never gets very cold but I am a year round short wearer. I don't give a rat's ass about attention or machoism. I care not for these things. Comfort, comfort, comfort.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 12:35 PM   #59
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I'm with Locke here, Shorts and shoes looks dumb af. Especially if you are still wearing socks that go past the bottom of your ankles. Wearing shoes without socks should get you shot, too.
This is a really weird opinion.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 12:35 PM   #60
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Huh? Shorts and sneakers do not look dumb at all.
Unless you're talking swim trunks or something.

The footwear should be appropriate to the type of short and the shorts should be appropriate the the occasion.
Swim trunks>pool or beach; sandles.
Gym shorts>doing something active; runners.
Golf shorts> golfing; golf shoes
Casual shorts>doing whatever; casual sneakers or sandles
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: