Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #1081
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Pelletier Backlund Coleman

That's the 2nd line
I hope Pelletier is put in that spot, I think he'd do really well with those two. But I'd prefer if that was our third line, and bring in a C to play with Toffoli and Dube/Mang on the second line.

Would love to get one of these guys to fill that spot at Center:

Trochek
Kadri
Copp
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 02:24 AM   #1082
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Pelletier Backlund Coleman

That's the 2nd line
That’s a lot of responsibility for a young kid with no NHL experience and Darryl isn’t the type of coach to reward inexperience and youth with ice time.

That Backlund line was easily the best line in the playoffs for the Flames IMO and I personally have no desire to see them split up.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 09:41 PM   #1083
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I still don’t understand this thought process. Looking forward to bumping old threads for an “I told ya so.” There must be more to being a fan than that for you, isn’t there?

You understand that if the Flames win the cup or make the finals, nobody is going to give you lumps, right? Nobody is going to care about you and what your opinion was in February. It won’t cross anyone’s mind.

The fact is, you’re taking the easy route, because no transaction is giving any team a lock to win the cup. Colorado has the best odds in the league right now at 17%. You could just as easily say Toffoli would not be the difference between Colorado winning the cup and not, and you’d probably be right because the odds are always in your favour.

It’s such a sad, lazy way to follow a team. But if siding with the odds just at the chance to be right is more fun than hope, then by all means, be right. Nobody is going to remember or care if you are but you.
Told you so
jjgallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:46 PM   #1084
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD EDIT: No insults please.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 10:05 PM   #1085
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toffoli could have been more productive, but I am pretty happy with him overall. He always seem involved and went through a snake-bitten period where he was doing everything right. There were times I was sure he was going to score just to have something unlucky happen or a goalie play out of his mind. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do in a full season.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:31 PM   #1086
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

he went to the finals and then had a major injury early this season...I expect a better season overall this year

and like I said in the other thread...most deadline deal guys are UFAs now, having another year is a major bonus
Old 06-30-2022, 11:34 PM   #1087
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nope, I still really like the deal because it wasn't a rental.

He will be useful for the next two seasons for us. You can never have enough players with his skillset and scoring ability.

Tkachuk had a worse playoff performance.

I hope him and his wife get more settled into the team and the city this season. I know its not a move they were anticipating and Toffoli was an absolute pro about it.

Still holding on to the idea that Monahan can make a comeback and tear it up next to Tyler.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-30-2022 at 11:37 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:15 AM   #1088
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Lol
Old 07-01-2022, 12:23 AM   #1089
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgallow View Post
Lol
Oh, that's a convincing argument.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:40 AM   #1090
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol
Got bored of trolling the forums on the Flames site I see?

I'm looking forward to seeing Toffoli after a full summer under the Sutter training plan. Also hoping we can add a playmaker like Stastny for cheap to form a pair with him.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:40 AM   #1091
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Got bored of trolling the forums on the Flames site I see?

I'm looking forward to seeing Toffoli after a full summer under the Sutter training plan. Also hoping we can add a playmaker like Stastny for cheap to form a pair with him.

Oh yeah man. Nothing better than acquiring an elderly player who's never performed well in the playoffs for your playoff run. Super well thought out trade.

And for sure, after watching a complete and total breakdown of defence and goaltending, and seeing the opposite of that win the cup, obviously our top priority is Stastny so Toffoli can have a good seniors run in the regular season as the Flames try to lock in another 8 years of playoff failure with the JG signing. Totally with you on that, who even needs first round picks when your GM is this good.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:16 AM   #1092
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Told you so
Not really, considering Toffoli wasn’t a rental.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:25 AM   #1093
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Told you so
I forgot you existed.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:00 AM   #1094
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still like the addition
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:22 AM   #1095
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Oh yeah man. Nothing better than acquiring an elderly player who's never performed well in the playoffs for your playoff run. Super well thought out trade.

And for sure, after watching a complete and total breakdown of defence and goaltending, and seeing the opposite of that win the cup, obviously our top priority is Stastny so Toffoli can have a good seniors run in the regular season as the Flames try to lock in another 8 years of playoff failure with the JG signing. Totally with you on that, who even needs first round picks when your GM is this good.
Never performed?

Last year he had 14 points in 22 playoff games? That's a pretty solid performance for someone of his pay grade.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:23 AM   #1096
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Never performed?

Last year he had 14 points in 22 playoff games? That's a pretty solid performance for someone of his pay grade.
I think he was talking about Stastny. Though his PO numbers are actually pretty good.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #1097
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Not really, considering Toffoli wasn’t a rental.
It's illegal to rent senior citizens
Old 07-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #1098
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Never performed?

It was a dramatic dropoff in production from his regular season in a year that was his best ever in the NHL, and also a clear outlier, which the Flames bought into.

Buy high, sell low. Pay for it with draft picks.

Last edited by jjgallow; 07-01-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:44 AM   #1099
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I forgot you existed.

I forgot you did too, I had to look this thread up in my history and then check for posts that translated as "we know it was a bad trade but shame on you for criticising it"

Last edited by jjgallow; 07-01-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #1100
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get why anyone is upset with Toffoli's production with respect to his contract. At the absolute worst you get a 40 point guy that is responsible defensively, a good option on the PP, and is great in the room and with young players. Just listen to all the praise the players in MTL had for the guy when he left.

Was the price for Toffoli too high? not really. He just had an amazing season in 20-21, where he was one of the top scorers in the league and one of the best value contracts for such a scorer. He won cups with LA, and made the finals with MTL, so he knows what it takes to get there, and I'm sure he will be working his tail off to do it with Calgary. A 1st and a prospect used to be the price for a rental at the deadline.

Finally, people also expect a professional's athlete to a new team to be seamless each and every time. I thought Toffoli showed some chemistry with Mangiapane and Ruzicka/Dube as a line, but that was broken up once Jarnkrok got here. After that it was a bit of a struggle, as the team seemed to be experimenting with lines, trying to find the best combination or to generate chemistry. I think we will get to see a much more consistent version of Toffoli next season with at least 25G and 25A(on an 82 game pace). Is that worth a 1st round pick and a prospect? absolutely.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote