Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2024, 04:35 PM   #2781
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Better than the building sitting there unused I suppose, but the majority of us will never be able to afford or use it. On a related note, annual reminder, too, that the west end of downtown desperately needs a public, multi-use recreation centre.
Evolve Strength needs to open up a location in the West Village Towers. Would be nice to have a good quality powerlifting/dryland training gym that's accessible to downtown and central Calgary residents and employees.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 11:14 AM   #2782
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Step aside Eau Claire Y private club, East Village is getting a combination public washrooms/pickleball court building...

https://www.calgarymlc.ca/articles/c...n-east-village

Note how buried in the write up they are quietly announcing the closure of the existing washrooms right along Riverwalk by the Simmons building (which they shut down in 2022 to evaluate things).

Last edited by Bigtime; 03-26-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:42 AM   #2783
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Step aside Eau Claire Y private club, East Village is getting a combination public washrooms/pickleball court building...

Note how buried in the write up they are quietly announcing the closure of the existing washrooms right along Riverwalk by the Simmons building.
I don't hate the idea of a pickleball court but I wish the city would spend a bit more money on this a put some sort of roof over it so that it can be a year round facility. I would assume that something could probably be done that could look cool, function as an outdoor space and yet still be covered.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:53 AM   #2784
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Note how buried in the write up they are quietly announcing the closure of the existing washrooms right along Riverwalk by the Simmons building (which they shut down in 2022 to evaluate things).

Pain the ass. Where are downtown visitors supposed to go in the event of a bathroom emergency? I guess the library or else forced to buy food / drinks somewhere.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:59 AM   #2785
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Pain the ass. Where are downtown visitors supposed to go in the event of a bathroom emergency? I guess the library or else forced to buy food / drinks somewhere.
If I'm picking the right spot at 6th street and 7th avenue where this will go, it will be about a 400 meter walk from the existing facilities by the Simmons building.

So not a huge deal, but you can also see what they are doing by moving the public washrooms facilities farther east and away from the river...
Old 03-26-2024, 12:14 PM   #2786
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's to stop the same thing from happening to this new washroom?

I do like this though...the pickle ball court should be fairly pretty popular. I'm curious why they only did one court, there seems to be plenty of space for two.

As someone who works in the area, I appreciate the effort of adding some more sporting amenities to the Fort Calgary park space. They recently built a skating rink further east...although sadly I have yet to see anyone use it (but I'm only there on weekdays, so maybe it's a weekend thing). The cross-country track doesn't seem to get a ton of action either. But atleast they are trying!
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 05:45 PM   #2787
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any Fort without a Trebuchet is barely even a Fort at all!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:43 PM   #2788
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Woohoo, and thanks for the link. Figured it would be somewehre.
And its still not open.

I can't even find it on that link.

Any update to when its said to be open but isn't?

Oopps the new substation construction 2 lanes closed.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:52 PM   #2789
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah man, I noticed that too this morning. Don't know WTF is going on with that project, but it's getting damned annoying...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 05:03 PM   #2790
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Yeah man, I noticed that too this morning. Don't know WTF is going on with that project, but it's getting damned annoying...
It looks too permanent for my liking. There's a Starbucks opened up in those two lanes now.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:40 AM   #2791
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Posted over on Skyrisecities that it looks like the Eau Claire YMCA is going to come back to life as a private club.

https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre...7#post-2068007
More info here:

https://calgaryherald.com/business/l...-athletic-club
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 01:22 PM   #2792
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder how their fees compare to the other private clubs in Calgary.

I never thought I'd say this, but joining a private club within walking distance from home, work and day care almost seems worth it for the swimming lessons alone. Especially when the alternative is 5am registrations and driving across the city to separate pools for each kid if you're even lucky enough to get a space.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 01:36 PM   #2793
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://mailchi.mp/ecathleticclub/fi...g?e=925722d691

Quote:
Individual Membership: One person per membership, $10,000 initiation fee, annual dues apply.

Family Membership: Family members residing under the same household (maximum two adults) $15,000 initiation fees, annual dues apply.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:43 PM   #2794
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Losing the Y at Eau Claire sucked, this isn't exactly an equal replacement (accessibility and affordability wise).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #2795
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Sorry I meant I saw that but how does that compare to the clubs that don't advertise?

"If you have to ask, you can't afford."
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:50 PM   #2796
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post

I never thought I'd say this, but joining a private club within walking distance from home, work and day care almost seems worth it for the swimming lessons alone. Especially when the alternative is 5am registrations and driving across the city to separate pools for each kid if you're even lucky enough to get a space.
Getting swimming lessons at the winter club is no picnic. They fill up instantly, so if you aren't on as soon as registration opens you are screwed.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:01 PM   #2797
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Getting swimming lessons at the winter club is no picnic. They fill up instantly, so if you aren't on as soon as registration opens you are screwed.
Huh. I would have thought for sure that level of cost would provide enough capacity for all the members.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 08:19 AM   #2798
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It will be tough to compare the new club with places like Glencoe and Winter Club. I've never looked at Winter but I had considered Glencoe about 15 years ago when they had a wait-list available. The reason why I don't think they are comparable is because of the scale of the clubs. The existing facilities have larger footprints and offer a lot more facilities including bowling, skating, climbing, curling, childcare, etc which the new club won't be able to offer.

As a pure fitness club it might be good but then it is competing against gyms that have significantly different membership models like GoodLife or fancier ones like Bow Valley Club and Bankers Hall Club (did they ever reopen?)

Tangent, but I actually love the idea of clubs like Glencoe and Winter Club and about 12 to 15 years was contemplating and trying to figure out if it would be possible to build and open a new club. I lived down the street from the King Edward School and I thought the existing building plus the land would be an awesome site for a club. Of course it would not be cheap but I figured there was enough money in the area to potentially support membership sales and lots of families who could be clients. Of course the city had a much different vision for the old school.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 03-29-2024 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:47 AM   #2799
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It will be tough to compare the new club with places like Glencoe and Winter Club. I've never looked at Winter but I had considered Glencoe about 15 years ago when they had a wait-list available. The reason why I don't think they are comparable is because of the scale of the clubs. The existing facilities have larger footprints and offer a lot more facilities including bowling, skating, climbing, curling, childcare, etc which the new club won't be able to offer.
Agreed, it seems the target demographic here is not going to be for families as it lacks all of the facilities you mentioned. The other problem is that families with newborn kids are the #1 demographic to join private clubs. The lack of free / close parking in close proximity is a huge turnoff for this demographic.

Weekends might be OK with the surface lot next to Millennium Tower, but don't forget that the stay at home parent demographic isn't going to pay ~$20 to park for lessons on a weekday 3x a week or push the Uppababy Vista stroller 2 blocks...

The last Y wasn't financially viable despite a growing population. I'm curious to know what's different this time round.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 03-29-2024 at 10:21 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:26 AM   #2800
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Agreed, it seems the target demographic here is not going to be for families as it lacks all of the facilities you mentioned. The other problem is that families with newborn kids are the #1 demographic to join private clubs. The lack of free / close parking in close proximity is a huge turnoff for this demographic.

Weekends might be OK with the surface lot next to Millennium Tower, but don't forget that the stay at home parent demographic isn't going to pay ~$20 to park for lessons on a weekday 3x a week or push the Uppababy Vista stroller 2 blocks...

The last Y wasn't financially viable despite a growing population. I'm curious to know what's different this time round.
They do have a great benefit in that the location is at a c-train hub so it would be attractive to people near the new line (in 4 or 5 years or whenever that will open.)