Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #121
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
FWIW: Can they do anything about it if nobody, including the victim, actually saw the person holding or throwing the rock?
They most certainly can. All an officer needs is reasonable grounds to believe an offence has been committed to proceed with an arrest and charge.

I might have different ideas about whether it should be a formal arrest and charges or whether charges would have a great chance of being proven by the Crown.

But the idea there is so much doubt they could do anything is hard for me to grasp. Many officers I know would in fact see this report as an opportunity to intervene early to avoid dealing with someone actually laying on the street bleeding from a rock wound to the head...which I kind of think was the whole point of the OP.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #122
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
I guess I was reading people suggesting there was nothing the police could do because the second encounter was just someone being rude as missing the point that this was a person being rude to an individual he had previously criminally assaulted. The police could absolutely intervene and arrest and charge the guy...not for the sunshine comment but for the assault with a weapon that was previously reported and not yet addressed.

The police are the first to tell someone not to take such matters into their own hands yet according to the poster when he did report it they said they couldn’t do anything because he wasn’t hurt. That is a very odd position for the police to take if that is what they in fact said.
If you read the OP, he didn't even see anybody throw a rock. A rock rolled by him as he was walking. Maybe a car kicked it up? IDK and the OP doesn't know.

I also don't get how you throw a rock while riding your bike in the opposite direction. That's super hard to do. Like, did he stop, hop off his bike, find a rock, throw it, miss, then get back on the bike and start riding away in a matter of seconds? I don't think in the original call to the police they had enough to act on. We have OP yelling at a bum "I WILL FIND YOU" as a bum is riding away on a bike after asking for a cigarette.

I'm not trying to poke holes in the story, but I'm trying to look at it how the police would. There really isn't much to go on originally, and there is especially nothing to go in with the second interaction where being called "sunshine" triggered a call to the police. OP didn't even fill out a police report the first time. Where does he expect the first call was recorded and cataloged and made available to the next operator he called? The whole thing is just weird and it's a strange expectation that the police could do anything with the information he had provided.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #123
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are sure fixated on the "sunshine" comment part of the story, it seems irrelevant to encountering the guy again who he thought threw a rock at him.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #124
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If you read the OP, he didn't even see anybody throw a rock. A rock rolled by him as he was walking. Maybe a car kicked it up? IDK and the OP doesn't know.

I also don't get how you throw a rock while riding your bike in the opposite direction. That's super hard to do. Like, did he stop, hop off his bike, find a rock, throw it, miss, then get back on the bike and start riding away in a matter of seconds? I don't think in the original call to the police they had enough to act on. We have OP yelling at a bum "I WILL FIND YOU" as a bum is riding away on a bike after asking for a cigarette.

I'm not trying to poke holes in the story, but I'm trying to look at it how the police would. There really isn't much to go on originally, and there is especially nothing to go in with the second interaction where being called "sunshine" triggered a call to the police. OP didn't even fill out a police report the first time. Where does he expect the first call was recorded and cataloged and made available to the next operator he called? The whole thing is just weird and it's a strange expectation that the police could do anything with the information he had provided.
Fact is I do know he threw it, whether anything ever comes of it whatever. There was not a single car in that direction and nothing could have kicked up a rock that size about six feet into the air hitting the light post. Its not hard to put 2 and 2 together here. He had circled behind and then around me to my left. He was barely moving at that moment I heard the sound of the rock hitting the post then the ground. When I turned to yell at him is when he wheeled around took off down the street. The rock was about at least half the size of my head. Questioning my integrity might give you warm fuzzies inside but at the end of the day I could have been seriously injured and am lucky I wasn't. In an unprovoked rock throwing incident.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LouCypher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #125
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

How do you know where it hit the light post if you just saw it on the ground?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #126
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I heard the noise and saw a blur of motion as I looked down. I saw the rock land. It was not there before. I am aware of my surroundings.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #127
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
Fact is I do know he threw it, whether anything ever comes of it whatever. There was not a single car in that direction and nothing could have kicked up a rock that size about six feet into the air hitting the light post. Its not hard to put 2 and 2 together here. He had circled behind and then around me to my left. He was barely moving at that moment I heard the sound of the rock hitting the post then the ground. When I turned to yell at him is when he wheeled around took off down the street. The rock was about at least half the size of my head. Questioning my integrity might give you warm fuzzies inside but at the end of the day I could have been seriously injured and am lucky I wasn't. In an unprovoked rock throwing incident.
Guy. Nobody is getting warm fuzzies. At this point, you have told your story to the police twice and on an internet forum where nobody knows you or has any preconceived notions of who you are or what you're about. All we have to go on is your telling of the stories. These strangers and two different police operators have all come to the same conclusion - there is nothing to pursue here.

Maybe you've led a really fortunate life where you haven't encountered these sorts of things before. I see people do illegal things that could put me in danger a few times a year, particularly when driving in my case as I don't walk around very often. I don't call the police because as a reasonable person I know there is nothing that can be done so I move on with my day.

I had some road rager cut me off and slam on his brakes so I had to slam on my brakes and go into the shoulder on Barlow Trail earlier this summer. What he did was illegal and put me in danger, but I shook it off as most people do in these kinds of situations. But say I did call the police at the time - okay, that's my right. But then to call them again a week later to say, "hey, I saw the guy that cut me off again. what are you going to do?" would be a little weird, no? Like, if everyone in the City called the cops every time a situation like this occurred, how could the police function effectively? Sometimes you just have to move on. If you see this guy again, keep your distance and have a watchful eye out for him to mess with you. There's really nothing else you can do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #128
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I heard the noise and saw a blur of motion as I looked down. I saw the rock land. It was not there before. I am aware of my surroundings.

Ok, fair, but how do you know the rock hit the light post in line with your head (at 6 feet) and not 1-3 feet lower?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #129
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Guy. Nobody is getting warm fuzzies. At this point, you have told your story to the police twice and on an internet forum where nobody knows you or has any preconceived notions of who you are or what you're about. All we have to go on is your telling of the stories. These strangers and two different police operators have all come to the same conclusion - there is nothing to pursue here.

Maybe you've led a really fortunate life where you haven't encountered these sorts of things before. I see people do illegal things that could put me in danger a few times a year, particularly when driving in my case as I don't walk around very often. I don't call the police because as a reasonable person I know there is nothing that can be done so I move on with my day.

I had some road rager cut me off and slam on his brakes so I had to slam on my brakes and go into the shoulder on Barlow Trail earlier this summer. What he did was illegal and put me in danger, but I shook it off as most people do in these kinds of situations. But say I did call the police at the time - okay, that's my right. But then to call them again a week later to say, "hey, I saw the guy that cut me off again. what are you going to do?" would be a little weird, no? Like, if everyone in the City called the cops every time a situation like this occurred, how could the police function effectively? Sometimes you just have to move on. If you see this guy again, keep your distance and have a watchful eye out for him to mess with you. There's really nothing else you can do.
I see stuff out there to, do I call the police everytime? No. How many times have I even called the police in my lifetime? Twice. I shake off most things, do you think I report every single ####ty thing I see happen over the course of 40 years in this city? No. I generally accept and move on.Society is filled with selfish people. Do I have to accept that rock throwing is normal? No. I agree nothing else I can do and will likely only look out for myself and friends and family in the future and report nothing. You are right though, I should probably just keep a watchful eye and avoid this guy if at all possible.

Last edited by LouCypher; 09-13-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #130
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, fair, but how do you know the rock hit the light post in line with your head (at 6 feet) and not 1-3 feet lower?
I was looking straight ahead, saw the blur at about head level. Its not like I expected that someone would be throwing a rock at me. I was expecting to cross the street.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #131
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will leave this thread be and move on with my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #132
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Agreed. I should have followed through on that but felt the need to clarify as people want to question the incident.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #133
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. I should have followed through on that but felt the need to clarify as people want to question the incident.

Yeah, it's tough to let your own thread die when people are still posting in it. Been there.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #134
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, it's tough to let your own thread die when people are still posting in it. Been there.
Its all good man, I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks for your insight.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #135
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Next time you could try throwing a rock at them too, you're not trying hard enough.

In an elevator? What size rock are you talking?

Edit: I see now, half your head. What size is your head?

Maybe the rock had a sun and a smiley face drawn on it.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 09-13-2019 at 11:15 AM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #136
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #137
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The part I question is "half the size of my head". That's not a rock - that's a 20 lb boulder. I doubt too many people could "throw" that, unless they are Olympic shot put competitors...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #138
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
The part I question is "half the size of my head". That's not a rock - that's a 20 lb boulder. I doubt too many people could "throw" that, unless they are Olympic shot put competitors...
Not really. This was probably a few pounds. I know I could have thrown it that distance. Maybe it wouldnt have hit like a boulder, but its more then enough.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #139
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #140
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe a small head?

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote