Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #101
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I was dealing with colon cancer last year I used two Tragically Hip songs as my rally cry - grace too and courage.

I realize that grace too is about a hooker but the words "with will and determination....and grace too" was all I needed.

I can't believe that the person responsible for the lyrics for the songs I used in my rally cry Is now diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. As much as I am appreciative for my survival, it brings me great pain knowing that Gord Downie is spending his last few months with his family while touring for his fans....and himself...and the band, but I I know this is how he wants to go out.

We will all miss you so much more than you will ever know. Thank you Gord Downie.

I wish there was inspiration I could send his way as he did for me in my time of need.

Last edited by guzzy; 05-25-2016 at 12:10 AM.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #102
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I spent years in cover bands playing bars, you could not get away without playing at least 2 Tragically Hip songs each night. I remember tiring of them after playing Blow at High Dough and Little Bones for the thousandth time, then they released Fully Completely and I really enjoyed doing Courage and Locked in the Trunk of a Car. Great grooves, strong riffs and of course, Gord put them over the top.

Being a Canadian we might have been overexposed to them slightly but they really are a great band with incredibly written songs. One of those proud Canadian moments, when they played SNL and Dan Aykroyd introduced them.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #103
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Saw Gord do a private showing for about 150 people. It was just him and his guitar. He played some of his favorites and took requests. He also talked about the environment and the waterkeepers, which he was involved with. Afterwards he just hung around to chat. It was a pretty cool experience.
millhouse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:04 AM   #104
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
When I was dealing with colon cancer last year I used two Tragically Hip songs as my rally cry - grace too and courage.

I realize that grace too is about a hooker but the words "with will and determination....and grace too" was all I needed.

I can't believe that the person responsible for the lyrics for the songs I used in my rally cry Is now diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. As much as I am appreciative for my survival, it brings me great pain knowing that Gord Downie is spending his last few months with his family while touring for his fans....and himself...and the band, but I I know this is how he wants to go out.

We will all miss you so much more than you will ever know. Thank you Gord Downie.

I wish their was inspiration I could send his way as he did for me in my time of need.
Well... you could tell 'em what you just told us. I think it would be inspiring for anyone to learn that their work/art had such a significant effect on someone's life.

I don't have a clue if Twitter/Facebook/whatever social media messages actually ever get to the celebrity whose name is attached to it, but it's worth a shot.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 12:24 AM   #105
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Agreed with the song "scared" for an underrated hip song, just an incredible acoustic song. But honestly of all the beautiful lyrics Gord wrote that people are coming up with I can't help but feel the last line in that song sums up my feelings with the guitar outro. It may not have the power and lyrical wizardry of others, but you really just have to listen to the song to feel the emotional effect of it after the news.

I gotta go, it's been a pleasure doing business with you
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 01:49 AM   #106
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

There is so much Hip that is just so good. I love the fact that they're Canadian. Not one of the charity bands that get played because of CanCon, but a legit band that gets air because they rock.

I'm pretty sure that one of their concerts permanently damaged my hearing. Floor, close to speaker. No complaints. I came back for a couple more concerts.

I love their sound. Unique. You know it's the Hip as soon as you hear it... In a good way. They just have a sound that transcends their songs, without all their songs sounding the same. I'm not really sure what the band is without Gord Downie, but I'm sure they are even more sad about this than I am. His family and band and friends have to deal with this right in the public eye.

All the best, Gord. Thanks for all the great music. Legacy.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 03:26 AM   #107
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Walking with a few friends on a beach in Taiwan two years ago, coming upon a group of people playing guitar around a campfire.

Sit down and one of my friends takes the guitar and starts singing a couple songs, Billy Joel or something, then starts into Bobcaygeon. The three Canadians around the fire sing our hearts out, everyone else is confused but amused.

Goes from Bobcaygeon into Courage and suddenly three guys' heads pop up over the dune.
"Who's Canadian?"
"Yo!"
Six Canadians then serenade about fifteen people of other nationalities with Hip songs for the next twenty minutes.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #108
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tour dates announced:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...598795?cmp=rss

• Victoria, Jul 22. Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.
  • Vancouver, Jul 24. Rogers Arena​.
  • Edmonton, Jul 28. Rexall Place.
  • Calgary, Aug 1. Scotiabank Saddledome.
  • Winnipeg, Aug 5. MTS Centre.
  • London, Ont., Aug. 8. Budweiser Gardens.
  • Toronto, Aug 10 and Aug. 12. Air Canada Centre.
  • Hamilton , Aug. 16. Firstontario Centre.
  • Ottawa, Aug. 18. Canadian Tire Centre.
  • Kingston, Aug. 20. Rogers K-Rock Centre​.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 06:20 AM   #109
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tickets on sale next Friday.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:34 AM   #110
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Tour dates announced:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...598795?cmp=rss

• Victoria, Jul 22. Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.
  • Vancouver, Jul 24. Rogers Arena​.
  • Edmonton, Jul 28. Rexall Place.
  • Calgary, Aug 1. Scotiabank Saddledome.
  • Winnipeg, Aug 5. MTS Centre.
  • London, Ont., Aug. 8. Budweiser Gardens.
  • Toronto, Aug 10 and Aug. 12. Air Canada Centre.
  • Hamilton , Aug. 16. Firstontario Centre.
  • Ottawa, Aug. 18. Canadian Tire Centre.
  • Kingston, Aug. 20. Rogers K-Rock Centre​.

Holy crap. End it in Kingston. Growing up in Kingston everyone knew the Hip were from there and I guess people were kind of proud of it. That is going to be an amazing one.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #111
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm going to try my ass off to make it to one of the final shows but I'll be shocked if I leave the show with dry eyes. Really awful news.
World Container got me a little this morning. A beautiful hidden gem in a sea of hits.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #112
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Holy crap. End it in Kingston. Growing up in Kingston everyone knew the Hip were from there and I guess people were kind of proud of it. That is going to be an amazing one.
That Kingston show needs to be shown live on CBC.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #113
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to try to go to the Calgary show and/or the Kingston show.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #114
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be in Toronto, so might try for one of those, or Calgary but that one would be tight to make. I assume AC Centre has better acoustics than the Dome?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:39 AM   #115
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone needs to make a documentary about this. CBC. Get. On. It.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #116
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully will be able to make the London show. It's a bit smaller venue so tickets will be harder to get.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #117
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I listened to the Hip all day yesterday, and was feeling pretty blue. It was my wife's birthday (and a special one to boot) and she came home and said "No one's allowed to be sad on my birthday, but I understand, you're allowed to be sad..."
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #118
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Someone needs to make a documentary about this. CBC. Get. On. It.
That's a really good idea. And I could see the last show in Kingston having a lot of "special guests" something similar to The Band...well, not as many big names, but still lots of musician friends in attendance I'm sure.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #119
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I'll be doing the London show for sure, and likely at least one of the Toronto shows.

I've probably seen the Hip 40 times.

I've seen them 4 times in concert with less than 1,000 people. Twice at Mulcahy's Long Island New York. Those two shows were probably my favourite. Met the band before the show the one time as they were staying at the same hotel as we were and Gord S. and Bobby went out to get some McDonald's. Was outside having a smoke and stopped them as they were walking back. They had all the time in the world to chat with us. Then we met them again after the show and same thing. Both shows I was at the front with my beer on the stage.

I saw them at the Fillmore on Detroit (this may have been slightly more than 1,000, but if it was it wasn't much more) and that venue is fantastic. I was lucky enough that my niece (19 now and a bigger Hip fan than me which is saying something) and nephew and sister got to go as well. My niece had never seen them in a small venue before. Gord came right over to her as she was front and just off centre and sang right to her for a good minute. My niece would sing Hip lyrics before she could even speak growing up.

My buddy won tickets to see them for The Strombo Show right as they were opening up the new studio at CBC, and that was only about 350 people.

I remember Roadside Attraction shows, Edenfest, too many arena show to count, Molson park shows, Live 8, Centennial Hall in London (another small venue), plus they always seemed to come and play the little festivals we have here in London.

As many have said here, they were the soundtrack to my formative years and there is no way I am not going to see them on this tour.

Here's to you Gord! Stay strong!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #120
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
That Kingston show needs to be shown live on CBC.
And Justin should award The Order of Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rder_of_Canada
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: