Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Found Credit Card

I found someone's credit card on the ground in a parking lot. What is the right thing to do with it? Should I call the number on the back? Drop it off at the police station? Just shred it and let the person report it as lost/stolen? Should I keep it and slowly steal this person's identity?

Help me.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Call the number, make sure they are aware of the situation, they will tell you to cut it up and discard. Odds are it's been reported lost already, but best to confirm in case he doesn't know it's missing yet.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If it has a bank associated with it, I usually turn it into the closest branch. They'll have the contact details of the person it belongs to.

If not, call the credit card company and they let them know.

Don't shred it and do nothing though. The person is probably tearing their house apart.

It only takes a couple minutes and you'll be a hero.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to talk to a person after calling the number on the card was a disaster so forget about that. It is associated with a bank though, so I guess I'll take it to the closest branch when I get off work and see if they'll do anything about it.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I found someone's credit card on the ground in a parking lot. What is the right thing to do with it? Should I call the number on the back? Drop it off at the police station? Just shred it and let the person report it as lost/stolen? Should I keep it and slowly steal this person's identity?

Help me.
How would there be any confusion about this? Phone the number on the back of the card, explain that you found it on the ground and that's it, you're done. The card will be cancelled and you have no worries. At that point, no possible harm can come to the owner of the card, so all is good.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've usually just dropped it off at the nearest establishment nearby and had them take care of it. Maybe I should call the number on the back or drop it off at the issuing institution next time?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I've usually just dropped it off at the nearest establishment nearby and had them take care of it. Maybe I should call the number on the back or drop it off at the issuing institution next time?
Your giving it to just a random person. Who knows what they will actually do with it.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
How would there be any confusion about this? Phone the number on the back of the card, explain that you found it on the ground and that's it, you're done. The card will be cancelled and you have no worries. At that point, no possible harm can come to the owner of the card, so all is good.
Well there are three options that all made sense to me, I was seeing if someone who has done this before could let me know which one was ideal.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Your giving it to just a random person. Who knows what they will actually do with it.
True. I guess I'll call the number myself next time.

The last times I found cards were in Safeway and Walmart parking lots so I just dropped it off at the customer service desk before starting to shop.

Oops.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found a credit card once, called the security number on the back of the card and the person at the credit card company phoned the card owner immediately, while I was on hold. Then he asked for my permission to give out my name and phone number to that person. The guy came to my office to take his card and brought me a $50 Starbucks gift card as a token of his appreciation. I didn't want to take it but he insisted.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #11
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I found a credit card once, called the security number on the back of the card and the person at the credit card company phoned the card owner immediately, while I was on hold. Then he asked for my permission to give out my name and phone number to that person. The guy came to my office to take his card and brought me a $50 Starbucks gift card as a token of his appreciation. I didn't want to take it but he insisted.
Similar to when I found an Iphone during stampede. Texted one of the girls group messages and asked for them to get the owner to contact me at my number and i can return the phone.

Her brother showed up at my office and gave me $50. Wouldn't take no for an answer when I didn't want the money.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I had my wallet stolen in Edmonton once during a ball tourney. I called my credit card companies when I realized it and a guy had called my AMEX and reported that he found it. It turns out we were playing each other in the first game the next morning, and both played first base. I was quite thankful and bought him some beers.

I don't want anyone to think the above story means that Edmonton people are good people. The wallet was likely stolen by an Edmontonian, but the person who found the wallet and returned it to me was from out of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a cool "found" story from my former co-worker. He was in Phoenix with his family at some golf resort, chilling at the pool, when he found a briefcase next to his lounger. He opened it to find some ID and found stack of $100 bills about 2" thick along with some documents but no clear ID or contact info. He did not want to leave the case with the front desk personnel, but let them know that he has it in case someone calls. Nobody called, so he took it to the police station next day. Police found the owner quickly, he was a local realtor. He came to the resort and gave my colleague $1,000 in cash. True story.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was in Australia many years ago on a WHV and lost several cards including a Bank of Montreal bank card and I think my birth certificate plus some other stuff. I never required them on my trip so I never noticed. The person who found them went to their bank who contacted the Bank of Montreal in Canada. The cards were forwarded on an were waiting for me at home when I got back 9 months later. I hadn't realized I had lost them until then. Nothing of real $ value but it was gratifying that a few people in the chain took the time to return them when it could have just as been easily ignored.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What is the number I lost mine.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #16
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for calling the number on the back, you're going to find differing levels of service from whomever answers depending on the bank/issuer involved.

With AMEX, I've had nothing but tip top customer service from Canadian based operators. I have no doubt they'd process a report of a "found card" correctly.

With CapitalOne, it would be routed to "Mike" in India, who would fumble around, log a ticket request to make it look like he was taking action, but in reality, nothing would really be done. Might as well just cut it up.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #17
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflames_12.5 View Post
What is the number I lost mine.
It's a Wal Mart credit card. Number 6969 6969 6969 6969. Expires 4/20.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #18
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd just buy #### or sell it to some hackers though not knowing the address could be an issue
Righteous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #19
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
It's a Wal Mart credit card. Number 6969 6969 6969 6969. Expires 4/20.
FYI All mastercards start with "5", visas start with "4"
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
FYI All mastercards start with "5", visas start with "4"
I was definitely being serious.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post: