Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #1021
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminds me I feel like I haven't heard Johnny B Goode in a while? Do they still play it for Johnny's goals?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:10 PM   #1022
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Aha's Take on Me with the crowd chanting
TOOEEEE-FOOOHHHHH-LEEEEEEEE during the chorus

That would be awesome and annoying to the other team and their fans.
That’s a solid one.

I also liked the recommendation of when the going gets “Toff”, the “Toff” gets going by Billy Ocean.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:37 PM   #1023
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Correct, I am always happy when players I really like see success, regardless of where they see it. Not everyone lives life bitter and angry.

If I thought we had any chance at re-signing him in two years I'd be much less open to the trade, but here we are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post
It does sting.

When you're a fan of a team, and then a GM basically ruins the team year after year for 7.5 years, it is a drag.

I can't understand why Benning was chasing OEL - like adding a $7M+ past-his-prime defenseman with 6 more years on his contract was the answer? He had already drafted Hughes... and had signed Myers. And because he was obsessed with that OEL deal (to correct all his past UFA mistakes - Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson) now Vancouver is stuck with three D making $6M+

Of course they had to let Markstrom go, with Demko developing into a No 1 starter - but why not retain Tanev and Toffoli? And just wait one more year to get rid of all your bad mistakes. Sheesh - Toffoli had good chemistry with Pettersson...

Ah, nuts.

S_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post
With the Benning-signed Dickinson $2.65M and Poolman $2.5M mistakes, it seems the Canucks are down to trading one of Miller, Garland, or Boeser to create cap space to fix the defence and also bottom 6 forwards...

What a mess that idiot left.

S_C
Best part to me is Canucks fans believing all these problem deals were Jim Bennings fault.

Jim Benning was a puppet for your meddling owners. The Aquilinis still own the Vancouver Canucks. The puppet masters now have a team of new puppets to work behind. I cannot wait to see the new Jims put their stamp on the team, starting with getting rid of your best player JT Miller.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #1024
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Best part to me is Canucks fans believing all these problem deals were Jim Bennings fault.

Jim Benning was a puppet for your meddling owners. The Aquilinis still own the Vancouver Canucks. The puppet masters now have a team of new puppets to work behind. I cannot wait to see the new Jims put their stamp on the team, starting with getting rid of your best player JT Miller.

A lot of us are very aware that the GM was not the total issue. I've been very vocal about blaming Aquilini for almost everything. That he went to the NHL for support and they suggest Rutherford and being less involved is a small glimmer of hope, but I'm not getting too excited until his "try and make the play-offs so I can get money" stamp is not on the team.

Also, Patrik Allvin, not Rutherford but your point stands.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:12 PM   #1025
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
T(and)T?

He’s dynamite!
That's actually a really good suggestion. Too bad it's one we've used as a generic goal song recently I suppose, but it still works nicely for Tyler Toffoli.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #1026
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
A lot of us are very aware that the GM was not the total issue. I've been very vocal about blaming Aquilini for almost everything. That he went to the NHL for support and they suggest Rutherford and being less involved is a small glimmer of hope, but I'm not getting too excited until his "try and make the play-offs so I can get money" stamp is not on the team.

Also, Patrik Allvin, not Rutherford but your point stands.
Yeah, Patrick Allvin the new Jim.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:33 PM   #1027
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wasn't thrilled before. Then I warmed up a bit to it. Now what? Lost a first rounder for this guy.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:37 PM   #1028
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

The move was widely praised when it was made. The overwhelming opinion on CP was that this was the year to go all in. Well, the Flames went all in. I can't sit here and throw stones at Tre for making these moves considering I was one of the many people praising him for acquiring Toffoli and Jarnkrok.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:38 PM   #1029
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The new James Neal
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 11:38 PM   #1030
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
The move was widely praised when it was made. The overwhelming opinion on CP was that this was the year to go all in. Well, the Flames went all in.
Yeah and lost
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:41 PM   #1031
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
The new James Neal
Such a bad comparison
toffoli didn’t product but is a good two way player and has a good attitude
Comparing him to Neal is a clueless take
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 11:54 PM   #1032
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm only hoping that something was wrong with him because he started the year on a terrible Habs team and maybe he didn't have any conditioning in the summer unlike what Sutter prescribed for the Flames. He looked a step behind.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:55 PM   #1033
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm only hoping that something was wrong with him because he started the year on a terrible Habs team and maybe he didn't have any conditioning in the summer unlike what Sutter prescribed for the Flames. He looked a step behind.
He’s not a great skater
I thought in round 1 he was generating chances and didn’t finish
He wasn’t good in round 2
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:59 PM   #1034
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

You’d think players like Toffoli would have been able to take advantage of a bad Oilers D.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:01 AM   #1035
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Players who thrive elsewhere usually come here and stop producing offensively. Been that way for years now. Flamesy Flames gonna Flame.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoulOfTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 12:35 AM   #1036
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll have to see if Tiffoli will be better next season. He was pretty much useless for the late stages of the season and was pretty dysfunctional and a one dimensional player on the second and on the top PP lines. Even on the 3rd line, he didn’t make much of an impact. He was better on the 4th line as a checker. I’m not giving up on Tiffoli just yet. Next season will tell if he should be traded to get some picks and depth. His contract is actually not bad but Tre has a habit of giving up a lot! Wished Tre could’ve signed Tiffoli thru free agency that year along with Perry. Flames would’ve been a much different team rather than missing the playoffs last year.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:37 AM   #1037
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

he played a lot of hockey...hopefully he gets in Flames shape for next season...hopefully some better line mates too
Old 05-27-2022, 06:04 AM   #1038
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I think all in all it’s a fair price. Hate to be the Debbie Downer but this isn’t the same Toffoli from the past. I think they’re getting a decent 2nd liner here and more of a Sutter player which is good, though personally I wished that first was used on a guy with more offensive upside. Not a complaint, as I think it was fair, but I’m hoping for more offensively as that will still be a problem in the playoffs where skill and determination are both needed. Toffoli has the determination. Not sure he has the high end skill this team still needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
He had 28 goals last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think that's your perception more than reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
They don't need more high end skill for the price that would cost. They need depth scoring which you yourself say this is. A decent 2nd line scoring winger who is a Sutter player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
He was just fine in Vancouver and L.A. no reason to speculate a downside because of the conference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He played all but 2 seasons in the west. In Vancouver 2 years ago he was PPG (in a short sample).
Shoutout to those who screamed it was the best move ever because he’s a skilled scorer, when I was saying to temper expectations as he’s not the same player. When the CP ball gets rolling can’t argue something different but this playoffs showed he wasn’t the same player he was a few seasons back.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:23 AM   #1039
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Toffoli really faded down the stretch. He does gives the Flames some flexibility though. If the Flames re-sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk, having Toffoli at least gives the Flames the option of flipping Mangiapane for some picks if they feel they can't afford him.

Not saying that's ideal, but the Flames do need to open up some roster spots for Ruzicka and Pelletier, so there needs to be some kind of movement with the forwards.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:26 AM   #1040
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel Darryl just couldn't find a fit for him on the lines he was used. Part of that is on Toffoli because the guy is molasses slow and as with Tkachuk needs a linemate that can carry and distribute the puck but I assume the Flames scouted him and knew what they were getting here. It's just strange that they gave up all these assets for a player that's really not a great fit for the assembled roster as there just aren't any puck distributing players after Gaudreau.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-27-2022 at 06:29 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: