Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #241
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
After reflecting on the interviews I heard today, my main takeaways are:

Somewhat unprompted, Peters brings up Lindholm playing center. I take that as him not being happy with that position and I expect a change. If absolutely nothing else, goodbye Jankowski.

His comment about having 10 guys when you can only play 6. He feels the defense depth is largely wasted. It’s a stretch to infer from that comment but I’d be surprised if a defenseman doesn’t get moved. Other teams have bargain basement guys on cheap 1 year deals on the bottom pair. Why can’t we?

Treliving didn’t sugar coat the series loss. Flames got owned and were lucky to win a game. I’m glad he thinks that way.

Smith and Rittich will be back.

I don’t care what Frolik thinks the Flames need. He’s gone.

We should see at least one new top 6 forward next year.

Draft Day:
Treliving: Fro, it's Tre. We've added the mean player you talked about us needing on garbage bag day.
Frolik: That's great. You need me to pick him up at the airport or something? I'm assuming since you've called me that I must know this guy?
Treliving: No, I need you to pack your stuff, you're going to <insert city here> You've been traded
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #242
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Draft Day:
Treliving: Fro, it's Tre. We've added the mean player you talked about us needing on garbage bag day.
Frolik: That's great. You need me to pick him up at the airport or something? I'm assuming since you've called me that I must know this guy?
Treliving: No, I need you to pack your stuff, you're going to <insert city here> You've been traded
I think Fro would be more than okay with that.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #243
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Doesn't add up. How did the Flames end up with 8 more penalty minutes than the Avs, while "shying away from anything resembling contact or board battles"?
The way the refs were calling the series benefited the Avs. They were mauling and sitting on our soft players (after falling on them "accidentally on purpose") and the Flames couldn't respond to or take advantage of that by doing the same thing to them. Instead, they took easy to call penalties that the refs couldn't turn a blind eye too.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:14 AM   #244
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Funny how Monahan says he was fine and Peters says he isn't healthy enough to play right now
Also funny that Peters was the one denying near the end of the season that Monahan was injured.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:43 AM   #245
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He didn't look injured. Sounds like Peters is giving him cover for sucking it up. At least Monahan seemed to own it - said straight up that injuries were not an excuse.

The largest insight to me was that Monny was injured going into the past two off-seasons. This is the first summer in 3 years when he can focus on training instead of rehab. Hopefully he works on his skating. Sounds like that's what the brass wants him to do - train hard. The guy has to take a step forward now and commit to being elite.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #246
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing Monahan on the top line with a broken thumb was a colossal mistake and it lead to Johnny trying to do too much and the Avs knew it, they triple teamed him because they could tell Sean was useless, the coaching staff need to get smarter
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #247
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Monahans thumb was so bad then why is he wanting to play in the Whc?
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:38 AM   #248
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I swear to god listening to these interviews with players, coaches and management and it literally becomes a fake news situation. They sometimes are all spewing their own BS.

I remember several interviews a year ago, during the summer and before the start of the season that Monahan was fully healed, had ample time to train in the off-season and was looking for a monster year. His wrist was an ongoing issue for a while and it was 100% now with the complete overhaul of it.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ho...son-surgeries/

Monahan simply got outplayed and the Av's were able to shut down his prime scoring area and chances. In essence they cleaned up the garbage that a garbage man like Monahan buries into the net.

Lot's of players were completely outplayed, didn't show up or just didn't care . I think we were also out coached and outplayed. I just don't like hearing the constant changing narrative.

Let's just figure it out cause what we just witnesses was scary
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 03:03 AM   #249
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think too many people aren't giving Colorado enough credit..

Not only that they are forgetting that Colorado has two of the best all around, dynamic forwards in the league in Mackinnon and Rantanen. Those two are absolute beasts.

We have 4 high-end forwards but two of them are not overly dynamic with thier skating ability and cannot dominate with a combination of speed and skill.

We don't need to blow it up, we need to add to the group and trim the fat.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 03:16 AM   #250
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Getzlaf is still an excellent player and he is one of the most dangerous powerplay catalysts in the league. A really dominant, intense presence. As a two-year commitment, I'd be down.
Never mind Nathan MacKinnon, the Paul Byron's & Carl Hagelin's would do laps around a team featuring Monahan, Tkachuk, Neal & Getzlaf.

Even though Getzlaf is a premier playmaker, we'd need to ship out one or two of our slower guys before adding a player who's never been a great skater and is now way past his prime.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:35 AM   #251
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepman View Post
Torie Peterson disclosed Rittich's injury and it was one of his knees.

SOURCE: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/arou...ld/c-306957726
Quote:
Matthew Tkachuk has ruled the tournament out as he is set to become an RFA this summer
Part of me is not so keen to be fond about Tkachuk

Again, his old man had pretty much no loyalty and won no cups.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:51 AM   #252
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Why should the sons bear the sins of the father? I think this is quite unfair to Matthew.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #253
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

If you had a chance to make 7 to 9 times as much money as you do right now, but it depended on your health 4 months from now, you don't think it would be prudent to protect yourself by not plying your trade for free, over the course of those 4 months?
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 06:54 AM   #254
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Danny Austin @DannyAustin_9
#flames forward Michael Frolik says he does believe the team needs to add bigger bodies and “meanness” if they are truly going to contend for a Stanley Cup
I agree kind of with this too ... Money and Janko must go as both are big but very soft... Money has done a lot for the Flames in Reg, but without Johnny how many goals would he have scored?

Free up our best talent and make sure someone doesnt touch him?
Gaudreau LW
Bennett C
Hathaway or Tkachuk RW

Bennett will score 30-40 if this is the case all season and anyone that touches Johnny Hockey will have his nose crushed in.

Get it done Flames!!!!!!

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #255
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read quite a few posts calling to move Jankowsi. Feaster set the bar unreasonably high for Mark when he proclaimed that he would end up being the best player from his draft year. That is quite simply never going to happen. Having said that, he's a good penalty killer and gives decent production for a third liner. Obviously you trade him if the right opportunity comes along to make the team better, but he should be pretty low on the list of priorities when it comes to fixing what we just witnessed.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #256
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I think too many people aren't giving Colorado enough credit..

Not only that they are forgetting that Colorado has two of the best all around, dynamic forwards in the league in Mackinnon and Rantanen. Those two are absolute beasts.

We have 4 high-end forwards but two of them are not overly dynamic with thier skating ability and cannot dominate with a combination of speed and skill.

We don't need to blow it up, we need to add to the group and trim the fat.
They were the worst team in recent history to make the playoffs and thoroughly mediocre barely edging out the Coyotes. Yes they have a small handful of really good players but the rest of the roster is as mediocre as it gets these days in the NHL. Full marks for beating a Flames team that couldn't get out of their own way but they are not a very good team.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #257
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know how a broken thumb affects Monahan's skating though. He got no separation and looked borderline lazy out there.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #258
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
I don't know how a broken thumb affects Monahan's skating though. He got no separation and looked borderline lazy out there.
If his thumb is 100% maybe he hits a one timer or two he missed in the series but that doesn't explain him not being involved, not finishing checks, not busting his ass to get into space or drive to the net. He was barely noticeable over the series and that's not a good thing for your top line center.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #259
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is what, the 3rd season in a row that Monahan has been injured for the end of the season and completely disappeared when the going gets tough (yeah, yeah, I know he scored some powerplay goals against anaheim)? Reminds me of the Phaneuf injury news that would come out when the old core underperformed every playoffs. It may well be that injury hampered Monahan's performance yet again, but even a fully healthy Monahan does not drive play or skate fast or carry the puck or recover it or distribute it or mix it up. A fully healthy Monahan might not have whiffed on as many shots and one timers, but still would not bring the dimensions to control the middle of the ice with.

I guarantee that the Avs top players have injuries of their own. Hell, Rantanen just returned from a pretty bad injury in the series. There was no way that he was 100% but he looked about 100x more effective than pretty much every flames player.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #260
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Problem is simple with Mony. Hes a one dimensional sniper. He scores from the slot and that's it, mostly. In playoffs, that slot is protected 10x the amount then the regular season. You need that explosive speed to break away in those times, not just slowly stutter stepping around hoping a skater puck watches and gives him a tiny bit of room. I dont know what he needs to do but its pretty obvious why he doesnt score much in the playoffs.