Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2022, 08:24 PM   #481
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
All I know is that whenever I order a Corona I'm going to tell the server to "hold the virus" and giggle like mad to myself. I refuse to let that joke die.

Fortunately for everyone, I basically only drink Corona once every two years.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #482
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
For employment, it's probably one of three things: employers not bothering to adjust their policy, employers not understanding the long-term effectiveness of COVID vaccines without boosters, or they're keeping the requirement as a sort of screening tool to eliminate antivaxxers from the pool of applicants. And I actually think the latter is defensible even looking strictly in terms of health and the potential for spread in the workplace. Someone who hasn't gotten vaccinated yet likely never will, whereas if there are future disruptive variants that can be fixed by another vaccine dose, then someone who has already been vaccinated is likely to do it again. And that doesn't even get into the likely correlation between being an antivaxxer and lacking the traits/abilities that employers would be looking for (e.g. reason, logic, making smart evidence-based decisions, etc.).
The mandate for all employees who work in federally regulated jobs be vaccinated is still in place IIRC, that is a significant amount of people too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:01 PM   #483
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
The mandate for all employees who work in federally regulated jobs be vaccinated is still in place IIRC, that is a significant amount of people too.
I don't think that ever happened, did it? They announced that they were going to consult with stakeholders in December, but I don't think anything ever actually went into force.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:07 PM   #484
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t know if a new law was ever actually put into force, but the government was clear and many companies, including mine, followed the federal requirements. We have several people who lost their jobs based on it.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 06-01-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:27 PM   #485
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I think a lot of private companies are still enforcing it. I expect that enforcement will scale back but those employees might be required to work exclusively from home, which will be a problem for people who need to be customer-facing.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:49 PM   #486
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

We're a public, Canadian wide company and we followed the vaccine requirements for employment when the government hammered on it last fall. Lost some employees and still have it as a requirement for those that apply today.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #487
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some private companies are plain stupid, one of my clients who required vaccinations went too far and lost 2 long term valued employees because the company wouldn't give up the mask mandate. the 2 ladies walked into the bosses office on Friday and said, if you make us wear a mask like a government employee we want a pension like a government employee! the bossed laughed so they quit on the spot.

Absolutely ridiculous to force employees to wear a mask now.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #488
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I’m sure people who dramatically quit over having to wear a mask are really stellar employees working extremely sought after jobs.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:07 PM   #489
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Some private companies are plain stupid, one of my clients who required vaccinations went too far and lost 2 long term valued employees because the company wouldn't give up the mask mandate. the 2 ladies walked into the bosses office on Friday and said, if you make us wear a mask like a government employee we want a pension like a government employee! the bossed laughed so they quit on the spot.

The bolded is one of the stupidest statements I’ve ever heard.

It would keep me up every night for the rest of my life if I embarrassed myself that badly in front of someone.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #490
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:

That's pretty embarrassing for those two employees. I'd imagine employees like them and so many others that got caught up in social media rage and decided to take a stand using the sacrifice of their livelihoods are feeling an insane amount of regret these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2022, 07:26 PM   #491
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's pretty embarrassing for those two employees. I'd imagine employees like them and so many others that got caught up in social media rage and decided to take a stand using the sacrifice of their livelihoods are feeling an insane amount of regret these days.
I'm told both already had a job lined up for more money and a mask-less environment so I doubt there's any regret, as far as I'm concerned they did their part, they got vaccinated, wore a mask for about 2 years and I know one of them even missed work for a week by testing positive.

If someone told me to wear a mask 8 hours a day nowadays I'd be looking for a new job too.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:15 PM   #492
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I'm told both already had a job lined up for more money and a mask-less environment so I doubt there's any regret, as far as I'm concerned they did their part, they got vaccinated, wore a mask for about 2 years and I know one of them even missed work for a week by testing positive.

If someone told me to wear a mask 8 hours a day nowadays I'd be looking for a new job too.
When you bury the lede and in turn make your friends sound like childish morons instead of reasonable people who left a job for higher pay.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2022, 08:24 PM   #493
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:

Well that's a completely different scenario then. They had jobs lined up with better pay, I mean if the opportunity was promising then they should have been leaving for those jobs regardless of mask policy.

Weird story when the better jobs with better pay only comes up after the fact. You know who else leaves companies for better pay, besides people being made to wear masks still? Most people given the opportunity.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2022, 08:41 AM   #494
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah that’s all fine… asking for a pension is mind numbingly stupid. Not to mention, the details kind of matter. If someone told you to wear a mask and you worked in a healthcare setting then that sounds completely reasonable.

Sounds to me like they wanted a “quit your job” story that reads well on Reddit and in your head in the shower…

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 06-05-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #495
Roger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That's like the time I asked my ex-gf for a beej. She refused, so I dumped her because Scarlet Johannsen had already agreed to be my new gf. We're happily married, btw.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 10:13 AM   #496
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Well that's a completely different scenario then. They had jobs lined up with better pay, I mean if the opportunity was promising then they should have been leaving for those jobs regardless of mask policy.

Weird story when the better jobs with better pay only comes up after the fact. You know who else leaves companies for better pay, besides people being made to wear masks still? Most people given the opportunity.
Haha, first of all, as if the story is true. But say it is, I love how they unnecessarily burned a bridge for no good reason whatsoever on their way out the door to their new job.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:21 PM   #497
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

And then everyone got up from their desk and gave them a standing ovation as they left the building.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #498
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, our son-in-law has finally succumbed to COVID; he’s fully vaxed and is fine. He’s the last person in our immediate family to get it. My friend and I picked him up for the Oil Kings game last night but he had just taken a rapid test. His wife called to tell him his test a few minutes before was positive; I had just dropped off the test kits and we left thinking he was likely negative and we were in a rush.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:36 PM   #499
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Well, our son-in-law has finally succumbed to COVID;
Holy sh-t, so sor-...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
he’s fully vaxed and is fine.
... you could have used a better word than 'succumbed' in the context of catching a disease that does actually kill people on the rare occasion.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #500
jayswin

Exp:

If it was a comedian style poster I'd say he meant it, but Moneyguy is so straight forward and benign in his posting style, I think he literally just used the term "succumbed to Covid" to describe his son in law getting it, with a straight face and no comedic intention, lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: