Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #841
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Come on already…sign! What’s the hold up?
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #842
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Probably money and term
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #843
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

if he doesn't sign, does he get moved before training camp?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #844
jaginla
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
if he doesn't sign, does he get moved before training camp?
I think with Huberdeau signed we can probably afford to let this one ride?
jaginla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaginla For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 02:25 PM   #845
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
This one is probably a bit more difficult to do. Huberdeau and his agent were likely well aware of what the Flames offered Gaudreau a few weeks previous and given he's outproduced Johnny over the last four seasons and they are nearly the same age, you had to know that they would be expecting the same contract so very little back and forth required with those negotiations.

Flames are starting from scratch with Weegar on term and salary. There's going to be some back and forth going on with these negotiations.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 02:59 PM   #846
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This one is probably a bit more difficult to do. Huberdeau and his agent were likely well aware of what the Flames offered Gaudreau a few weeks previous and given he's outproduced Johnny over the last four seasons and they are nearly the same age, you had to know that they would be expecting the same contract so very little back and forth required with those negotiations.

Flames are starting from scratch with Weegar on term and salary. There's going to be some back and forth going on with these negotiations.
Weegar also doesn’t have the pedigree and track record of Huberdeau. He has 121 pts in six NHL seasons and only popped two seasons ago.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #847
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I took a while to think it through, but here's my take on the Huberdeau signing. Was it an overpay or a shrewd design?

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...ct-debate-nhl/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:42 PM   #848
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Per usual great write up, Steve.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #849
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

On the ride home yesterday Steinberg was talking Weegar, and made it sound like he's had it from solid sources that you can take it to the bank.

So we should be able to look at this deal as two signed upper roster (star?) players, a prospect, and a 1st round pick.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #850
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
On the ride home yesterday Steinberg was talking Weegar, and made it sound like he's had it from solid sources that you can take it to the bank.

So we should be able to look at this deal as two signed upper roster (star?) players, a prospect, and a 1st round pick.
This deal is as close as anyone has come in the 21st century to the Lindros trade.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #851
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

What excites me about this trade is that with Weegar and Huberdeau we have effectively replaced Gaudreau and Tkachuk from a talent perspective. Huberdeau replacing Gaudreau is basically a wash, which is incredible - you could argue Huberdeau's size makes him more valuable. Based on what I have read, from an analytics standpoint, Weegar is one of the best Dmen in the entire league - to me that replaces Tkachuk's value, albeit very different skillsets.

With our improved Dcorps we should be incredibly hard to score against under a Sutter system, sure we won't score as much - but we won't be scored on as much either. So with the roster as it is today we're about as good as last year on paper. Which is pretty impressive considering our two best forwards left. Now, if we could sign Kadri I think it really puts us into the contender category:
Goaltending: A
Defense: A+
Forwards: B+
Coaching: A+

Could be a very good year.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:33 AM   #852
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
This deal is as close as anyone has come in the 21st century to the Lindros trade.
This trade, the Duchene trade (Landed Colorado Byram, Girard, +++), and the Karlsson trade (Landed Ottawa Norris, Stutzle +++) are probably the best trades of the last 10 years.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #853
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This trade, the Duchene trade (Landed Colorado Byram, Girard, +++), and the Karlsson trade (Landed Ottawa Norris, Stutzle +++) are probably the best trades of the last 10 years.
I liked the Hall one for one trade myself. That was the best trade of the last ten years.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:57 AM   #854
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let’s hope the Flames have the same luck the Avs and Sens had in receiving top 4 picks from those 1st rounders.

As bad as the Duchene trade was for Ottawa they absolutely crushed the Karlsson deal which has crippled the Sharks moving forward. I am sure glad they do not have Norris and Stutzle on their team. Difference with both of those trades is they still were primarily stars for futures. The Chucky deal is unprecedented in the fact 2 top 10 scoring players were dealt for one another, it was a true sign and trade, and the Flames got the oldest players but also the pick and prospect.

I agree with those who say this was the biggest blockbuster of the cap era
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:03 AM   #855
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
I took a while to think it through, but here's my take on the Huberdeau signing. Was it an overpay or a shrewd design?

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...ct-debate-nhl/
Appreciate the writeup. I would quibble with the characterization of Thornton, Getzlaf and Zetterberg. All those players declined with age. They were still effective but not near the player they were towards the end.

That will happen with Huberdeau too. It's just a question of when and how much. He is signed for 9 years now, so you hope you get peak Huberdeau for 3 or 4 years, effective but reduced Huberdeau for 3 or 4 years and then buyout candidate for last year or two. IMO that's realistic.

And really that's the cost of having a star player on your team.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:43 AM   #856
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think he means that both teams walked away winners. Don’t underestimate how good of a trade this was for Florida. The Flyers certainly didn’t lose the lindros trade.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #857
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
What excites me about this trade is that with Weegar and Huberdeau we have effectively replaced Gaudreau and Tkachuk from a talent perspective. Huberdeau replacing Gaudreau is basically a wash, which is incredible - you could argue Huberdeau's size makes him more valuable. Based on what I have read, from an analytics standpoint, Weegar is one of the best Dmen in the entire league - to me that replaces Tkachuk's value, albeit very different skillsets.

With our improved Dcorps we should be incredibly hard to score against under a Sutter system, sure we won't score as much - but we won't be scored on as much either. So with the roster as it is today we're about as good as last year on paper. Which is pretty impressive considering our two best forwards left. Now, if we could sign Kadri I think it really puts us into the contender category:
Goaltending: A
Defense: A+
Forwards: B+
Coaching: A+

Could be a very good year.
It could be, but it comes down to a few factors:

1.) Is the team done? Is there a Kadri, Stastny or other FA signing in the works that will re-shape the top 6?
2.) If they are done as currently constructed, does say, Mangiapane and Weegar replace the loss of 100 points on the top line?

For me it's yes and no for the above, but the the improved depth on the blueline and natural progression of some players may make it closer to a wash than it may seem.

There's still a sizable drop off offensively and will require a player like Dube to break out (20g/30a) and another player like Pelletier to step in and immediately make an impact (15g/25a) in his rookie season, but these happenings don't seem like much of a stretch.

Sutter is likely to get a heck of a lot out of Weegar, Huberdeau and Pelletier, so flirting with another divisional title is not out of the question.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #858
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If they're both signed, that's a hell of a trade.

Schwindt probably is an NHLer next year too.

Only thing that would make it sweeter is if the 1st was sooner.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #859
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Appreciate the writeup. I would quibble with the characterization of Thornton, Getzlaf and Zetterberg. All those players declined with age. They were still effective but not near the player they were towards the end.

That will happen with Huberdeau too. It's just a question of when and how much. He is signed for 9 years now, so you hope you get peak Huberdeau for 3 or 4 years, effective but reduced Huberdeau for 3 or 4 years and then buyout candidate for last year or two. IMO that's realistic.

And really that's the cost of having a star player on your team.
Everyone declines with age - I think that is known and something the Flames can live with. If he ages like Thornton or Getzlaf and is a PPG guy near the end of this contract - the Flames are living large. Its if he ends up aging like Dany Heatley or something where he's completely unusable in 4 years - then you are screwed.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:21 AM   #860
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames had over 12M in two 4th liners last season...they will be fine with Huberdeau at 10.5 when the cap is 135M