Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2022, 09:46 AM   #1
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:
Default Highlights of the games, things to look forward to in 2026 etc...

What was everybody's favourite moments of the games? For me it was probably Max Parrot's Gold Medal.

Will there be a summit in this country to discuss the state of curling?

Will the NHL players attend Milano Cortina 2026?
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #2
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

I loved Parrot winning Gold as well because of his inspirational story, but the fact he and everyone in the world knows he didn't deserve it kind of overshadows it for me haha.

For me, my favorite moments were:

- Charles Hamelin ending his career on top with Gold and tying Cindy Klassen for the most Winter Olympic medals of all time by a Canadian
- Laurent Dubreuil redeeming himself in the 1000m (Silver, hadn't been on the podium all season) after a massive disappointment in the 500m (hadn't missed a podium all season). Just absolutely love his character as well
- Isabelle Weidemann & Steven Dubois both completing the Olympic Trifecta (Gold, Silver, Bronze)
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 03:46 PM   #3
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know if I had too many incredible moments but really enjoyed it nonetheless.

I probably wouldn’t pick Parrot because of the judging fiasco, maybe I’d pick the women’s hockey team beating their rivals twice enroute to Gold. I enjoyed some of the skiing and snowboarding the most, and while not Canadian, was very happy to see Jacobellis finally get her gold.

I also really enjoyed watching the Canadian curling teams even though they didn’t have the success we hoped for. Yes I would expect a curling summit of sorts. It is a sport that Canada owns like no other but something’s not happening at the elite level. I think other countries see that sport as an easy way to develop a small number of elite athletes to compete for medals despite the lack of popularity of the sport recreationally.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t know if I had too many incredible moments but really enjoyed it nonetheless.

I probably wouldn’t pick Parrot because of the judging fiasco, maybe I’d pick the women’s hockey team beating their rivals twice enroute to Gold. I enjoyed some of the skiing and snowboarding the most, and while not Canadian, was very happy to see Jacobellis finally get her gold.

I also really enjoyed watching the Canadian curling teams even though they didn’t have the success we hoped for. Yes I would expect a curling summit of sorts. It is a sport that Canada owns like no other but something’s not happening at the elite level. I think other countries see that sport as an easy way to develop a small number of elite athletes to compete for medals despite the lack of popularity of the sport recreationally.
No really moments for me this time, all the sports and moments seemed balanced. I was pleased to see Gushue get his bronze. I think that team will break up after the season.

For curling, I'm interested in Japan. They have the population and they love a technical sport like curling. If the women win gold tonight, they would catapult its popularity. Those girls would be rockstars.

Little known fact but it was Nagano that insisted that curling in the 98 games. It was probably slated for Salt Lake City. The IOC really wanted to showcase women's hockey and Japan, who didn't really care for hockey, said, "If you're bringing in women's hockey, you have to bring in curling too. It's both or neither." So curling piggybacked on women's hockey to get in.

They built the curling venue in the little town of Karuizawa and the entire town embraced it. I think that arena still exists and they still curl there.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:37 PM   #5
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

This has been a different Olympics for me. I didn’t watch any of the speed skating, luge, bobsled, or figure skating. Time zone just made it really hard for me to follow it more.

Highlights that I watched live were Kingsbury’s silver, Parrot and McMorris slopestyle medals, womens hockey gold, Sharp & Carker halfpipe medals, and mens curling bronze.

Proud of all the Canadian athletes who represent our country so well. I love that Canada has become a powerhouse in the Winter Olympics. I think it’s cool that unlike countries like Australia and Great Britain, Canada is strong at both the winter and summer games.

I really didn’t like the coverage this year. I miss having Brian Williams in the studio hosting and tying it all together. The event coverage is all piecemeal and there’s no overarching framing and narrative.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:37 AM   #6
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Favorite moment for me was Reira Iwabuchi (Japanese Snowboarder) going for the triple cork 1260 in big air. She didn't quite land it, but she still got mobbed by the rest of the competitors anyways just for coming close on the attempt. Great display of audacity, sportsmanship, and camaraderie.

Kai Verbij yielding to Laurent Dubreuil was also a class act, but in a sadder way. I hope our ambassador to The Netherlands can come up with an appropriate thanks.

Last edited by SebC; 02-20-2022 at 12:46 AM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:27 AM   #7
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary should have been hosting in 2026.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 08:21 AM   #8
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me the highlight was James Crawford in the alpine events. He only won a single bronze but with a 4th and 6th place finish as well which is extraordinary.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 09:49 AM   #9
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post

Will the NHL players attend Milano Cortina 2026?
I'm pretty pessimistic that the NHL players will be at future Olympics. It just doesn't seem feasible and of any benefit to the league.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 10:02 AM   #10
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Probably obvious ones but:

-Isabelle Weidemann's three medals
-Jack Crawford's bronze
-Charles Hamelin going out golden
-The women's hockey team
-Steve Armitage calling one last Canadian medal
-Justin Kripps

And not to be the millionth person to complain about the timezone/atmosphere but it's definitely not the same cheering at 2:30 am with no fans in the building.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #11
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Calgary should have been hosting in 2026.
Yeah when I saw the closing ceremony Milan presentation, that should be been us promoting our city!

Old 02-20-2022, 01:42 PM   #12
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was the worst coverage of any Olympics I've ever seen. I've always been able to see many different events, whether live or replay, at all other Olympics. They hype wasn't there either. I didn't even know that the women hockey was playing for gold until I heard Kelly Hrudey mention it on the Flames broadcast.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #13
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm pretty pessimistic that the NHL players will be at future Olympics. It just doesn't seem feasible and of any benefit to the league.
It's not of benefit to the league, but the players want to go and got Olympic participation added to the CBA. Unless the pandemic is still going on, they'll be going to Italy.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:50 PM   #14
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still salty there were two straight Winter Olympics near my time zone and we didn't get best on best hockey at either of them.

These Beijing Olympics were okay. Was a bit strange with the small crowds and it lacked some excitement coming right after the Summer Games, but it was neat how they reused the summer infrastructure, like turning the pool into a curling rink, and I liked seeing the different mountainous landscape of the Northern China.

The best events are the races in short track and ski/snowboard cross. More of that please. I also really enjoyed the curling with the world catching up to Canada and some really high quality play all around. I caught a lot of the figure skating too. There were some great performances but it was overshadowed by the controversy.

Favourite moments were Australia beating Canada at curling, the Canadian speed skating gold when the other team fell down, and that big snowstorm. Also nice to see Finland win their first hockey gold even though that tournament was a big let down.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:42 PM   #15
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Will never tire of a CBC Sports montage
https://twitter.com/user/status/1495562370566868994
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajr4013 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #16
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Found it hard to get into at all this year. Not sure if it was the time zone, lack of NHL players, weird coverage (honestly without CofR and his posts would have no idea when anything was)

I’ve loved previous winter games, but felt nothing for these ones. Compared to the summer games which I thought were incredible comparatively.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:48 AM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The winter games doesnt have staple events like the summer games do with swimming and track and basketball. You can watch these without Canadians, although having Canadians in it is extra fulfilling.

Figure skating is crap now. In the past you could watch Katarina Witt or Torvill and Dean. Who do you watch now.

No NHLers in hockey so no interest. Not even in Canadians! And the women, had enough with Canada-US already. It was intense in 2002 and not really anymore.

So you are basically watching goofy sports with athletes you dont really know. There is no rooting interest other than the Maple Leaf.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 11:27 AM   #18
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

CofR’s daily schedule was the highlight of the Olympics.

Obviously winning gold in women’s hockey and also that surprise ski jump bronze and reading the story of them training in Slovenia cause we don’t have the infrastructure or climate.
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #19
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Figure skating is crap now. In the past you could watch Katarina Witt or Torvill and Dean. Who do you watch now.
Papadakis and Cizeron; and Sui and Han set world records in Ice Dancing and Pairs, respectively.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 02:52 PM   #20
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Papadakis and Cizeron; and Sui and Han set world records in Ice Dancing and Pairs, respectively.

Sure, but nobody knows who they are. Figure skating is very niche now.
It's not the Botano, Witt, Gordieva and Grinkov Calgary era. Yuzuru Hanyu won gold in back-to-back Olympics. I don't think anyone on this board knows who he is.

I just looked up ratings. I went back and compared the two Thursdays. Figure skating reruns got 8.5M on NBC (the controversial women's singles). Men's halfpipe got 11.1M a week earlier.