Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #1081
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hes also played pretty bad, for his level, for about all of ummm.. december, so has sonny. Their numbers are still ok but they have pretty much finished all their chances, not creating much at all

Issue today wasnt so much how jose set them up, it was the players not playing well outside ndombele going forward, reguilon wasnt bad either, but when your lwb is your biggest threat in the box it's not a high firing attack

Also now 3 games in a row where a team has just sat back until jose took ndombele off and then just took over, maybe leave him on, it's not a fitness issue.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #1082
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait for dele to go to psg with poch and play an absolute blinder for the next 5 months, when dele from a few years ago I'd exactly what we need

I'd put its chances at about 99%

Not blaming Jose or dele for it either, just the fact that its spurs and it's how it will happen
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #1083
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
No. Players don't just drop when they're in the box. SOME players drop when they're in the box on contact. Some a lot more than others.

Then there are those like Kane that drop without any hint of contact or initiate contact and flop.

He's in a league of his own when it comes to this and thankfully the words out amongst the refs. So much so that his diving was one of the main talking points of BBC 5 live post game show.

But don't buy into my biased opinion. Do your own research. Like, maybe start with a search for biggest diver in the PL.

OMG it's Ashley Young
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #1084
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Kane goes down pretty easy
Thank you!
It's fair to say that he's now got quite a reputation for diving especially the one where he initiates contact and goes down.

Quote:
Hes also played pretty bad, for his level, for about all of ummm.. december, so has sonny. Their numbers are still ok but they have pretty much finished all their chances, not creating much at all
That doesn't bode well given that stat that came out from today's game that today's goal was only the fourth all season where Kane/Son weren't involved.

Quote:
Not blaming Jose or dele for it either, just the fact that its spurs and it's how it will happen
Oh, there's definitely a Jose factor. One thing he's good at is sucking the confidence right out of a player.

Good luck with him and his negative approach. Don't miss him one bit.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #1085
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Issue today wasnt so much how jose set them up, it was the players not playing well outside ndombele going forward, reguilon wasnt bad either, but when your lwb is your biggest threat in the box it's not a high firing attack

Also now 3 games in a row where a team has just sat back until jose took ndombele off and then just took over, maybe leave him on, it's not a fitness issue.
Basically as soon as Kane and Son came off the boil, we’ve had problems. Thankfully they were good through the NLD, because we would have suffered a similar fate. I am not looking forward to Wednesday because you know we’ll setup the same way; Fulham can easily hit us for a goal and we’re stuck with another draw or loss.

Ndombele was excellent today. I feel like it’s combination of the setup and our usual problems with trying to breakdown tight defences. But we basically did nothing for ~70 minutes today and that’s just not good enough.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #1086
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
In fairness he was bad.
SAF approach to divers compared to Poch.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...y-young-diving

Old 12-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #1087
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In fairness he was bad.
C'mon now, that's exactly why I posted it. He got the dryer for sure.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #1088
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In fairness he was bad.
You don't think that times have changed at all? I was watching a bunch of the Maradona highlights and videos on his passing, and the fouls committed against him were unreal by todays standards. He was getting absolutely hammered and would still try to keep his feet. But the officiating was different at that point.

You can go ahead and try to paint this as a Harry Kane problem, but in all honesty its rampant. Plenty of players across the league (and of course it's not just the PL) are accused. Liverpool has Salah, you guys have Fernandes, Vardy has been called out, Zaha is infuriating and that definitely doesn't absolve Kane and Dele (when he plays!).

Like I say...the problem is that it works. You can try to plead innocence and claim that it's everyone else, but I just don't believe you. Players get in the box and as soon as there is a bit of contact they hit the deck in hope that this was draw the penalty. I don't think that because you had a manager 4-5 mangers ago who didn't like diving that your players are somehow immune to that today.

And if you want my opinion, they should handout cards for diving regularly. When they do a VAR check and there's no foul but the player was down and trying to draw a penalty, card him. And they probably ought to do that retrospectively as well. To me it's a scourge and should be eliminated. But I feel like they could let a lot more contact go in general, and that probably wouldn't be very popular.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #1089
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Kane is probably the worst of the bunch right now, but the system is absolutely built to accommodate diving. I really don’t get it either, it would be easy to use VAR to retroactively give out yellows for the blatant dives.

I would definitely prefer more contact to be allowed. I think it’s ridiculous to give out fouls for slight contacts on the boot or the shoulder. I’d much rather see those types of contacts to be allowed, and focus more on removing grabbing. You can wrap both arms around a player and it’s all good, but a slight bump to the shin and it’s a foul. Seems backwards to me.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #1090
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
You don't think that times have changed at all? I was watching a bunch of the Maradona highlights and videos on his passing, and the fouls committed against him were unreal by todays standards. He was getting absolutely hammered and would still try to keep his feet. But the officiating was different at that point.

You can go ahead and try to paint this as a Harry Kane problem, but in all honesty its rampant. Plenty of players across the league (and of course it's not just the PL) are accused. Liverpool has Salah, you guys have Fernandes, Vardy has been called out, Zaha is infuriating and that definitely doesn't absolve Kane and Dele (when he plays!).

Like I say...the problem is that it works. You can try to plead innocence and claim that it's everyone else, but I just don't believe you. Players get in the box and as soon as there is a bit of contact they hit the deck in hope that this was draw the penalty. I don't think that because you had a manager 4-5 mangers ago who didn't like diving that your players are somehow immune to that today.

And if you want my opinion, they should handout cards for diving regularly. When they do a VAR check and there's no foul but the player was down and trying to draw a penalty, card him. And they probably ought to do that retrospectively as well. To me it's a scourge and should be eliminated. But I feel like they could let a lot more contact go in general, and that probably wouldn't be very popular.
I'd be on board. We need to get Penalties to be similar to hockey. "Removing a genuine Goal-Scoring opportunity."

Not "every ticky tacky little thing that happens in the 18-yard box = a goal"

In other news, it looks like City vs. Everton has been postponed because Jesus and Walker have tested positive for COVID.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #1091
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'd be on board. We need to get Penalties to be similar to hockey. "Removing a genuine Goal-Scoring opportunity."

Not "every ticky tacky little thing that happens in the 18-yard box = a goal"

In other news, it looks like City vs. Everton has been postponed because Jesus and Walker have tested positive for COVID.
It's this, for sure. There might be nothing more infuriating than something stupid that was never going to result in a goal that happened to take place in the box giving a team a 2/3 shot at scoring.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #1092
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and as if City gets to move that game because they're down by 2 players? Either there are more cases there, or that's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure with the money they have that they could rotate 2 players an field a team without a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #1093
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, and as if City gets to move that game because they're down by 2 players? Either there are more cases there, or that's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure with the money they have that they could rotate 2 players an field a team without a problem.
3 more players tested positive today. Could be a bigger outbreak.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 12:08 PM   #1094
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

can anybody explain to me why Lampard is using Kante the way he is? It's just baffling to me. The man is just not a creator in offensive midfield.

impressed with Villa this season. Grealish is simply a joy to watch at times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #1095
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
can anybody explain to me why Lampard is using Kante the way he is? It's just baffling to me. The man is just not a creator in offensive midfield.

impressed with Villa this season. Grealish is simply a joy to watch at times.
I do wonder at times if Lampard is genuinely an idiot.

Great season for Giroud so far though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #1096
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So United should get a bye to the final of the League Cup. They (the FA) made Orient forfeit earlier due to Covid, so surely they're going to hold City to the same standard?
Old 12-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #1097
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So United should get a bye to the final of the League Cup. They (the FA) made Orient forfeit earlier due to Covid, so surely they're going to hold City to the same standard?
no because that forfeit rule was only in place for the first few rounds. In the later stages games are going to be postponed.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #1098
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
no because that forfeit rule was only in place for the first few rounds. In the later stages games are going to be postponed.
The final is in April too, no rush
Old 12-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #1099
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See this where you struggle. I point out based on an observation that Kane is trying the same old trick where he initiates the contact and then flops and you get all defensive. When the fact of the matter is Kane is well known now for this to a point where a significant section of 5 live revolved around his behaviour.

Why are you so defensive at the common concensus hat he's the biggest diver in the PL?
Quote:
Like I say...the problem is that it works. You can try to plead innocence and claim that it's everyone else, but I just don't believe you.
Lol. You don't believe me what? I've never tried to claim "it's everyone else". I simply saw Kane trying his usual initiate contact and flop routine, commented on it and you get all bent out of shape.
Quote:
No, that's not your opinion. You love diving. You've defended it in the past. Then, you're like a tired broken record everytime it gets pointed out that someone from your club does it defending it by ....player x does it.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #1100
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Not "every ticky tacky little thing that happens in the 18-yard box = a goal".
Quote:
It's this, for sure. There might be nothing more infuriating than something stupid that was never going to result in a goal that happened to take place in the box giving a team a 2/3 shot at scoring.

This has got to be the stupidest suggestion I have ever read related to soccer, anywhere ....ever!

Seriously.