Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #81
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Allow me.

It was a shame that they got 1.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #82
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Allow me.

13 wins-5 wins. Germany was a far better team but beat Brazil without their talisman and best defender. I believe it will be much different this time around and I pray they meet in the final. They will not be able to contain Neymar with their current fullbacks. Get ready to be surprised

Last edited by Beninho; 05-23-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #83
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
13 wins-5 wins. Germany was a far better team but beat Brazil without their talisman and best defender. I believe it will be much different this time around and I pray they meet in the final.
Still, it was an atrocity.

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #84
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still, it was an atrocity.

It was very embarrasing yes, but it has made Brazil a much stronger side. It was like a death in Brazil but it is now motivation. Germany is not nearly as good as they were, I’m not scared of that roster at all.

I don’t see a Scweinsteiger or Lahm, I see inexperienced fullbacks that will get exposed. I see a midfield that can get easily overrun and a defense that has aged and has a recently injured Boetang. I do not think they will even get to the final but I hope they meet Brazil, we will see what happens.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-23-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #85
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was very embarrasing yes, but it has made Brazil a much stronger side. It was like a death in Brazil but it is now motivation. Germany is not nearly as good as they were, I’m not scared of that roster at all.

I don’t see a Scweinsteiger or Lahm, I see inexperienced fullbacks that will get exposed. I see a midfield that can get easily overrun and a defense that has aged and has a recently injured Boetang. I do not think they will even get to the final but I hope they meet Brazil, we will see what happens.

Yeesh, I would tone down the arrogance man.

I'm sure many people in Brazil were saying the same thing in 2014 before that semi-final.

The reason for your anti-German stance has become quite clear now
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #86
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Neymar, what was the score in the 2014 semi-final between GER-BRA?

Spoiler!
Old 05-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #87
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Yeesh, I would tone down the arrogance man.

I'm sure many people in Brazil were saying the same thing in 2014 before that semi-final.

The reason for your anti-German stance has become quite clear now
My anti-German stance has nothing to do with football. Every Brazil fan knew the team would only go as far as Neymar would take them. After the QF the result was inevitable with the team they fielded vs Germany. No one was arrogant, the majority of fans understood how hard it would be to beat Germany without Neymar and their Captain.

I’m not being arrogant, I respect Germany as the champions but that is not as incredible of a roster that many people are labeling it as.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-23-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #88
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That Brazil team even with Neymar was dumb. They were very lucky to beat Croatia, Chile and Colombia.

The Brazil team this year is much stronger. Firmino + Jesus is miles better than Hulk + Fred

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #89
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That Brazil team even with Neymar was dumb. They were very lucky to beat Croatia, Chile and Colombia.

The Brazil team this year is much stronger. Firmino + Jesus is miles better than Hulk + Fred
Don’t forget Coutinho. This team is also battle tested, Marcelo and Casemiro have won the Champions league multiple times since, Neymar has won it once, Firmino is about to play in a final. You can make fun of Brazil’s failure in 2014 all you want but you will be extremely foolish to think this team is anywhere like it was in 2014. This team is battle tested and dismantled the toughest qualifying group. Tite has formed this team to be able to play multiple styles of football. This Brazil team is much more like the 2014 German team than the current German side is.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-23-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #90
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really?

well, I guess we'll see. I think that Germany have the best team in the tournament. The only thing they're missing is that one, single, amazing talent.

The game-breaker.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #91
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really?

well, I guess we'll see. I think that Germany have the best team in the tournament. The only thing they're missing is that one, single, amazing talent.

The game-breaker.
I see a roster that is somewhat equal, while Brazil has the two better players in Neymar and Coutinho. They also have the best fullback in the world and a tank for a CDM in Casemiro who gets to line up next to Fernandinho. Brazil now also have Allison as their goalie, who was the best goalkeeper in the serie A last season. This isn’t even taking into account the chemistry that Gabriel Jesus has with Neymar and Coutinho. I take Brazil’s team every time. Anything can happen in such a short tournament but on paper and taken recent play into account I would easily take Brazil. 2014 has no bearing on this tournament, a subjective look at the rosters and I struggle to see how a neutral would choose Germany’s Team over Brazil’s.

And if Brazil loses I will gladly eat crow, it’s football and not life. Like I said earlier my resentment towards Germany has nothing to do with a sport.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-23-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #92
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really?

The game-breaker.
If they keep Reus wrapped in bubble wrap until the tournament starts that would be huge. He’s a game changer and it’s a shame that the best German attacker of that generation has not been able to impact a single major tournament yet due to injury.

Kimmich did pretty well against Neymar in the champions league so I guess we’ll see if they play each other in Russia. I hope they do
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #93
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I see a roster that is somewhat equal, while Brazil has the two better players in Neymar and Coutinho. They also have the best fullback in the world and a tank for a CDM in Casemiro who gets to line up next to Fernandinho. Brazil now also have Allison as their goalie, who was the best goalkeeper in the serie A last season. This isn’t even taking into account the chemistry that Gabriel Jesus has with Neymar and Coutinho. I take Brazil’s team every time. Anything can happen in such a short tournament but on paper and taken recent play into account I would easily take Brazil. 2014 has no bearing on this tournament, a subjective look at the rosters and I struggle to see how a neutral would choose Germany’s Team over Brazil’s.

And if Brazil loses I will gladly eat crow, it’s football and not life. Like I said earlier my resentment towards Germany has nothing to do with a sport.
Reina was better.

My problem (call it anecdotal), with the Brazilians, nay South American's is the prevalence of gross, systemic simulation. Until they play in the EPL, and have it beat out of them.

Sure, there are bad apples on many of the other continents teams, but the South American's are disproportionate in exaggerated diving. When they don't though, they play some beautiful, beautiful football.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #94
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reina was better.

My problem (call it anecdotal), with the Brazilians, nay South American's is the prevalence of gross, systemic simulation. Until they play in the EPL, and have it beat out of them.

Sure, there are bad apples on many of the other continents teams, but the South American's are disproportionate in exaggerated diving. When they don't though, they play some beautiful, beautiful football.

They don't call it home field advantage for nothing

CroFlames was not a happy camper that day.

Should have been straight red.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #95
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Muller is one of the most embarrassing divers out there personally.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #96
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reina was better.

That’s a fair complaint and I have nothing against it. I think it’s still prevalent in the premier league and amongst English players, just look at Rashford. Also look at Robben vs Mexico in the last World Cup. At the end of the day players will do what they think they need to do to win in the World Cup.

Reina was not better
Old 05-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #97
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
They don't call it home field advantage for nothing

CroFlames was not a happy camper that day.

Should have been straight red.
How about when Colombia and Brazil were hacking each other to death and not one red card was given. Lots of games were poorly officiated.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #98
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think Muller is one of the most embarrassing divers out there personally.
You would.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #99
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You would.
Look, I accept now that players are going to flop to try and draw cards and set pieces. I ####ing hate it, but I accept it. But when guys act all hurt, over nothing, it makes me embarrassed for them. Like how do you look yourself in the mirror when you act like such a whiny bitch?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #100
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Look, I accept now that players are going to flop to try and draw cards and set pieces. I ####ing hate it, but I accept it. But when guys act all hurt, over nothing, it makes me embarrassed for them. Like how do you look yourself in the mirror when you act like such a whiny bitch?
I’m not defending it but often the top players get annoyed with the constant hacks throughout the game and exaggerate the injury in response to the excessive fouls. Not excusing faking the injury but it’s a reason.

I think Neymar was the biggest culprit of this but he has cooled down his rolling around on the ground as he’s gotten older. Still we will see many players do it in the World Cup, and they won’t be just South Americans.

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good