Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #101
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't find it surprising at all. People wanted excellent protection against severe disease as soon as they could get it and all of the vaccine regimens (mixed or not) provide that. I don't think the government should have done mixed mRNA unless there was a huge shortage of one of them, but other than that I don't see the issue at all, and I certainly don't question anyone who opted to go that route.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #102
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
It is still stunning to me just how many Canadians went ahead and got mixed doses of either AZ/MRNA or a combo of different MRNA. It didn't really make sense in a lot of ways, it's caused some problems with travel, work and other things and now we are giving boosters without much data on the need for it for a whole host of the population or what an optimum time frame would be for maximum benefit.
In fairness, we were told to get whatever vaccine is available/offered. My wife and have two Pfizer shots but I get why some mixed their doses.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #103
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, we were also in the heart of the third wave, and the idea was to vaccinate as quickly as possible. At the time, it was the correct decision. It probably still is, it's only a political problem, which should be solved with discussion and science. But tossing third doses seems to be what the government decided was easier.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #104
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I don't find it surprising at all. People wanted excellent protection against severe disease as soon as they could get it and all of the vaccine regimens (mixed or not) provide that. I don't think the government should have done mixed mRNA unless there was a huge shortage of one of them, but other than that I don't see the issue at all, and I certainly don't question anyone who opted to go that route.
There was not a surplus of vaccine to optimize the regimen.

The gov't made the correct choices.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #105
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
There was not a surplus of vaccine to optimize the regimen.

The gov't made the correct choices.
Based on the deliveries, matching mRNA doses would have only added about 5 days to the rollout.

And I'm not saying they shouldn't have allowed it, but they shouldn't have treated them as interchangeable either unless they were positive that it wouldn't represent a bureaucratic issue internationally, which they obviously weren't. In BC at least, the only option to ensure a matching 2nd dose was to make an appointment, show up to it, leave if they didn't have the right kind of vaccine, book another appointment later on, and hope they'll have it that time. Meanwhile that person has wasted a booking slot for someone else who didn't mind mixing.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #106
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was tough in BC because you only found out what you were getting after you physically walked into the vaccination centre.

I have mixed Moderna/Pfizer. I made that decision to get vaccinated as quickly as possible. Thankfully, travel only seems like an inconvenience to me at this point so I will let the politicians hash out another one of their mistakes.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #107
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Based on the deliveries, matching mRNA doses would have only added about 5 days to the rollout.

And I'm not saying they shouldn't have allowed it, but they shouldn't have treated them as interchangeable either unless they were positive that it wouldn't represent a bureaucratic issue internationally, which they obviously weren't. In BC at least, the only option to ensure a matching 2nd dose was to make an appointment, show up to it, leave if they didn't have the right kind of vaccine, book another appointment later on, and hope they'll have it that time. Meanwhile that person has wasted a booking slot for someone else who didn't mind mixing.
The solution to that is managing the bureaucracy, not asking people to delay their vaccine by 5 days, which would have actual consequences for some.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #108
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is still stunning to me just how many Canadians went ahead and got mixed doses of either AZ/MRNA or a combo of different MRNA. It didn't really make sense in a lot of ways, it's caused some problems with travel, work and other things and now we are giving boosters without much data on the need for it for a whole host of the population or what an optimum time frame would be for maximum benefit.
Many people were following the advice of our government and health officials to take the first vaccine available. In a pandemic situation that advice made sense.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:09 PM   #109
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

So what's the deal with US vaccinations?

I will be at a trade show in the USA this month, and I can quite easily walk into a pharmacy and get my 3rd dose.

Wise idea? Bad idea? I have no clue how the vaccine records will integrate with ours, but if I can take advantage of a completely accessible 3rd shot I might as well.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #110
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

I will be at a trade show in the USA this month, and I can quite easily walk into a pharmacy and get my 3rd dose.

Wise idea? Bad idea? I have no clue how the vaccine records will integrate with ours, but if I can take advantage of a completely accessible 3rd shot I might as well.
I would wait until there is more information about the ideal timing between shots.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #111
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're mistaken in your assumption that many people mixed vaccines by choice.

As much as many want to criticize Alberta about many things pandemic related, we had the luxury to pick and choose/wait for the vaccine of choice. We of the lower risk groups also seemed to get access far earlier than many other provinces. I heard of many people in BC and SK that they basically had to book at mass vaccination locations and were notified which vaccine was available at that location only when they showed up (Moderna/Pfizer/AZ). I didn't chat with as many people in Ontario and other provinces to know whether or not the same was happening in those provinces as well.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #112
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I would wait until there is more information about the ideal timing between shots.
If there is some data that supports it as Jiri mentions, then go for it. A buddy of mine got his 2nd shot that way. Was in Miami so walked into a pharmacy to ask. 15 minutes later he was on his way out, zero cost. Went to an AHS clinic with the card they gave him at the pharmacy and they updated his records here.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #113
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Regarding vaccination records, if you get a vaccination in a jurisdiction other than Alberta, you can send a copy of that vaccination record to AHS or take it to a pharmacy (I think) to have it entered into your record.

As for getting a third dose elsewhere, so far the data -- as I understand it -- seems to suggest waiting longer between doses (at least for first to second) provides better immunity than shorter waiting periods. I'm not going to try to change your mind either way, but if you're going to do it anyway, I would give myself some time between second and third shots.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #114
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Good call. I found this

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1659

They also found that a third dose given 44 to 45 weeks after the second increased antibody titres further, and that adverse events were lower after the second or third dose than after the first.

I can wait until next year for my extended range 5G superpowers I guess.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:24 PM   #115
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really mixed doses was based on the best available information at the time. I’m surprised anyone got a second dose of AZ given the availability of mNRA even with the reduced clotting risk on the 2nd dose. Especially after the antibody studies came out.

The political travel problem should be far simpler to resolve then it is and should have zero impact on vaccine policy. It’s ridiculous that you might need a 3rd dose for matching doses for travel reasons only.

Politically it should be as simple as if your country states you are fully backed you are fully vaxxed and be done with it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #116
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good call. I found this

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1659

They also found that a third dose given 44 to 45 weeks after the second increased antibody titres further, and that adverse events were lower after the second or third dose than after the first.

I can wait until next year for my extended range 5G superpowers I guess.
Given that the switch over to using the vaccinated as towers failed today I suspect the push for 3rd doses will go up significantly.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 07:16 PM   #117
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding 3rd dose in US, you would have to misrepresent your vaccination status to get it. They will accept walk-ins with no insurance and jab you, but only with the understanding this is first or second dose. Third doses are currently only available for severely immunocompromised
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #118
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got AZ for my first dose, because it was the height of the third wave. I worked in a high risk setting (not just for me, but for those I worked with), the government was refusing to do anything to mitigate community spread, they were refusing to do anything industry-specific, and they refused to give us vaccination priority. I have a couple underlying medical conditions, but neither are serious enough on their own to qualify for that category.

I wanted to wait for mRNA and I probably would have if Alberta had been at Jan-Feb covid levels. But in mid-April, as things seemed to be spiralling out of control, I took the only thing they would give me.

As soon as they recommended mRNA for second doses, I got Pfizer. Got my second Pfizer today and the nurse said that most of her appointments yesterday were third doses that people wanted for travel purposes.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #119
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Given that the switch over to using the vaccinated as towers failed today I suspect the push for 3rd doses will go up significantly.
Ha, nicely played!
Old 09-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #120
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

my first shot was teh pfizer and second was moderna. rolled the dice there! wondering what I should take for the 3rd
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote