Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-08-2021, 09:08 PM   #741
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Was this ever answered for AZ + 2 mRNA people? Do they need a 3rd mRNA to count as properly boosted? (In Science terms not legal)
I'm not aware of any studies that have covered that situation, and even if there are it would really depend on the intervals. I imagine the most important thing is the time since your last dose. But really, Omicron kind of throws all that up in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Having double Moderna that has been proven to have the highest immune response, the pseudo-science in my brain feels that it'd be best for me to wait til March to get a Delta/Omicron adapted booster shot, rather than getting one asap that's just another mRNA shot.

Thoughts on this? I got my 2nd shot in June, so in theory I'm eligible for a booster in a few weeks here.
There are really too many unknowns at this point. Real-world data (for both infection and severe disease) should come out in the near future though, so it might be more clear then.

But that said, getting an Omicron shot in March is pretty optimistic. Just like with the first sets of doses, they're likely going to be in high demand and short supply, and we're still wholly reliant on imports for our supply. We're lucky in Canada because the government ordered annual boosters pretty early (back in April), so barring any export bans we should be in good shape. But even then, they're going to go to the elderly and vulnerable first. So if you decide to wait, you might be waiting more like 5-6 months instead of 3, which could put you almost a year from your 2nd dose.

If it was me, knowing what I know now, I'd get the booster, unless there was a good reason not to (like a severe adverse reaction from a prior dose).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #742
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm at 5 months since my second shot. I would probably rather wait for the Omicron special than get just another regular booster shot next month. I want the premium leading edge stuff.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:04 PM   #743
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I'm at 5 months since my second shot. I would probably rather wait for the Omicron special than get just another regular booster shot next month. I want the premium leading edge stuff.
Third Dose of the O.G. Pfizer seems to work well against Omicron and in the interim you risk getting Omicron.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #744
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Omicron special could be next June by the time they get it rolled out. Who knows if we will be supply constrained again or end up embargoed while the US does their population first.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:05 AM   #745
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I'm eligible for a booster. My first two shots were AZ and Pfizer administered 11 weeks apart. Would getting Moderna for the booster be better than Pfizer?
I thought boosters were only available to those who had 2 Zenicas.
Not the AZ and then something else.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #746
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
I thought boosters were only available to those who had 2 Zenicas.
Not the AZ and then something else.
Nope, even though that's what AHS says on their website. Both my wife and I were AZ - pfizer and we went to separate pharmacies for a second pfizer last week. They just asked her if it was for travel and the pharmacist assumed that it was my second. When I told her it was my third, I had AZ first she was fine with it.

When I went in the middle of the day, they didn't even have any warm and I had to wait for a batch to warm up. It's not like there's this huge crush (at least in the Auburn Bay Co-Op.)
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #747
Guest1

I was double AZ because at the time rumour was some countries wouldn't recognize AZ for travel. So I applied for and got permission for Pfizer. Got my Pfizer and the pharmacist said I would require a second Pfizer for it to be considered complete.

I reacted pretty bad for my first AZ (3 days of hell: full body pain, couldn't move, arm pain, headache... the usual) but I pulled up my big girl panties and got the second... which turned out easy-peasy. So when I was booked for my third, I was confident that I would be OK.

Not the case.

Now this is just anecdotal, but I think she didn't jab me in the right place. It was too high and I think she just jabbed it into my shoulder joint. It took about a month to get to the point where my shoulder could move normally and not have pain. I've also had headaches in the evening every day since September when I got it. (God bless cannabis)

Now that countries are recognizing AZ, I see no point in getting my second Pfizer. After 2 out of my 3 shots have f@($ed me up you can see how I am a little hesitant on any more shots.

Just sharing my personal experience Please put me on blast.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:04 AM   #748
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

sorry to hear that. I"ve also had double AZ and then a Pfizer booster, and I had a much more positive experience. First AZ gave me fever and shivering during the night and I felt hungover for a day or two, but both the second AZ and the booster gave me nothing beyond a bit of tiredness and a sore arm.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #749
Guest1

Are you planning on getting the second Pfizer? Just curious.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #750
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

nah I see no reason why. I live in Europe though and don't plan on travelling any time soon, plus AZ is fully accepted in Austria. I've also only recently got the booster (3 weeks ago), so a possible fourth shot is far down the road for me.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #751
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got AZ and Covid in April, Pfizer in June, and Pfizer again in September. I have no idea if I should get a booster, will be allowed to get a booster or what. Six months from my most recent dose isn't until March though, so I'm hoping for some guidance by then.

Although that may be wishful thinking. When I tried to find out when / if I should get my second shot after having Covid, people just yelled at me to get vaccinated. I had no issue with getting vaccinated. Would have done it sooner, since I work in a high risk setting, but the government wouldn't let me.

People have different circumstances and are looking for answers. Implying they are anti-vaxxers for asking questions isn't helpful.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #752
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I got AZ and Covid in April, Pfizer in June, and Pfizer again in September. I have no idea if I should get a booster, will be allowed to get a booster or what. Six months from my most recent dose isn't until March though, so I'm hoping for some guidance by then.

Although that may be wishful thinking. When I tried to find out when / if I should get my second shot after having Covid, people just yelled at me to get vaccinated. I had no issue with getting vaccinated. Would have done it sooner, since I work in a high risk setting, but the government wouldn't let me.

People have different circumstances and are looking for answers. Implying they are anti-vaxxers for asking questions isn't helpful.
Here's the NACI guidance for Canada. You don't fit in these categories right now so there's no guidance for you to get a booster now. Could change when you hit six months - but nothing now.

Quote:
After reviewing the recent evidence and the evolving COVID-19 pandemic in the Canadian context, NACI has updated its booster recommendations:

NACI strongly recommends a booster dose of an authorized mRNA COVID-19 vaccine should be offered at least 6 months after completion of a primary COVID-19 vaccine series to the following groups:
People aged 50 years and older
Adults living in long-term care homes for seniors or other congregate living settings that provide care for seniors
Recipients of a viral vector vaccine series completed with only viral vector vaccines (AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD or Janssen COVID-19 vaccine)
Adults in or from First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities
All frontline healthcare workers having direct in-person contact with patients
NACI now also recommends that a booster dose of an authorized mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be offered to adults 18 to 49 years of age at least 6 months after completion of a primary COVID-19 vaccine series with consideration of jurisdictional and individual risks as outlined in the full NACI Statement.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #753
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be nice if Alberta would lower the age limit for booking third shots. As of yesterday, I'm now over six months. I'd like to get it before Christmas just to be safe.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #754
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It would be nice if Alberta would lower the age limit for booking third shots. As of yesterday, I'm now over six months. I'd like to get it before Christmas just to be safe.
Was you're first shot AZ?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #755
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Was you're first shot AZ?
No, double Pfizer.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #756
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
In before all the stupid excuses saying why they shouldn't even though Manitoba has already.
Yes, it should be based off of time since your last shot. If you had your second shot > 6 months ago, you should be able to book your booster. That is a perfectly reasonable approach to ensure that people who were vaccinated in other jurisdictions but live here are appropriately protected.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #757
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm AZ-Pfizer, and will be hitting the six-month mark in a couple of weeks. I could get another Pfizer "for travel purposes", but I have no plans on traveling anywhere or anytime soon that might require it.

Any point in getting a third/booster just because I can? I can't say I'm worried about immunity (unless I should be?)...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #758
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Nope, even though that's what AHS says on their website. Both my wife and I were AZ - pfizer and we went to separate pharmacies for a second pfizer last week. They just asked her if it was for travel and the pharmacist assumed that it was my second. When I told her it was my third, I had AZ first she was fine with it.

When I went in the middle of the day, they didn't even have any warm and I had to wait for a batch to warm up. It's not like there's this huge crush (at least in the Auburn Bay Co-Op.)
I am in the 30 - 40 range and just called shoppers and they said they are doing thirds for travel for mixed dose only. The person I spoke with wouldn't do it for myself (double Pfizer).
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay's Beagle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #759
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Here's the NACI guidance for Canada. You don't fit in these categories right now so there's no guidance for you to get a booster now. Could change when you hit six months - but nothing now.
I know I don't fit any of those categories. I wouldn't get one now anyway, as I'm not at 6 months. Am I not allowed to be curious about the future? With the lack of advice for anyone whose circumstances were outside the norm last go round, I'm not hopeful the answer will come by March.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:18 PM   #760
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, those poor patient people running the vaccine shots for the kids. Literal constant screaming and crying from at least one kid. Saw one that that had to be physically restrained by both parents while screaming, punching and thrashing trying to get away. They handed him a massive ipad and some bose headsets to calm him afterwards.

They had two therapy dogs distracting and calming kids there - seemed like a great idea, super patient.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote