Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #1881
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Question for you. Is Prairie really what she thinks she is, or is she just mentally ill? You seem to think she isn't crazy. I'm not sure there's any good reason to prefer that view.
Well... she's not just mentally ill. She may be mentally ill, but even if you accept the seeds of doubt about her story that the show puts in, there is the simple fact that she has had her sight restored. Either way there is an interesting story to be told there so I want to see Season 2.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #1882
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Documentaries are like some guy spouting out at the bar, they can tell an engaging story, but it's never the whole story and drama always trumps truth and accuracy.
Thats a bit of an exaggeration, but they at least give you the motivation to look more in depth and learn about a topic on your own.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #1883
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Question for you. Is Prairie really what she thinks she is, or is she just mentally ill? You seem to think she isn't crazy. I'm not sure there's any good reason to prefer that view.
I don't have any good answer to that. I certainly went back and forth a bit during the series, and I can't recall what made me lean toward the non-crazy interpretation. Perhaps because if she is crazy, there's even more unanswered questions, so it feels like it hangs together a bit tighter to assume that there's primarily truth in her account. I do think it's possible that the writers (main actress included) were trying really hard to avoid anything that commits one way or the other, and if so then there may not be a right answer.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #1884
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Netflix Canada Discussion

"Behind the Cove", the rebuttal from the whalers who feel they were portrayed negatively in "The Cove". This documentary is horrible. It's not very entertaining for one, and paints themselves as even more awful than "The Cove" did. "I liked whaling cause it's manly".
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #1885
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Group of morons pushes for Netflix to remove all non-Canadian content (and basically just go out of business)

A media watchdog group is promoting a bill that would force Netflix Canada to remove all foreign content and stream only Canadian productions.

Tapliski compared Canadians to children, saying that Canadian content is like muesli cereal and international content is like a bowl of candy: even though one is nutritious, the other is the obvious choice.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/c...tent-1.4274189

I know there's a zero percent chance this bill ever passes but it is pretty hilarious to think anyone even thinks it is worth spending time crying over. Not to mention the fact it is hilarious to go after only netflix. Why not all cable companies?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #1886
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Group of morons pushes for Netflix to remove all non-Canadian content (and basically just go out of business)

A media watchdog group is promoting a bill that would force Netflix Canada to remove all foreign content and stream only Canadian productions.

Tapliski compared Canadians to children, saying that Canadian content is like muesli cereal and international content is like a bowl of candy: even though one is nutritious, the other is the obvious choice.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/c...tent-1.4274189

I know there's a zero percent chance this bill ever passes but it is pretty hilarious to think anyone even thinks it is worth spending time crying over. Not to mention the fact it is hilarious to go after only netflix. Why not all cable companies?
This is That is an award winning satirical current affairs show that doesn't just talk about the issues, it fabricates them.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #1887
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
This is That is an award winning satirical current affairs show that doesn't just talk about the issues, it fabricates them.

LOL. Goddammit!

It showed up on my google news feed! Second time in the last few months I've been fooled by fake news on google. Like real fake news, not the Donald Trump kind. Screw you google!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #1888
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This Is That is a satirical show.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #1889
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Goddamnit!

It showed up on my google news feed!

Ha. The number of people who have been "This or Thatted" is pretty astounding.

That said, the new front page for CBC is a random hodgepodge of news and miscellaneous CBC programming.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #1890
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The problem with This or That is they're not quite absurd enough to be obvious satire. And quite often to easily real to be really funny.

Onion has straddled that fine line well. This or That has not.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:50 PM   #1891
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
The problem with This or That is they're not quite absurd enough to be obvious satire. And quite often to easily real to be really funny.

Onion has straddled that fine line well. This or That has not.
it's canadian radio, if you listen to canadian radio you can appreciate how spot on the satire is

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #1892
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
it's canadian radio, if you listen to canadian radio you can appreciate how spot on the satire is
Doesn't make the printed version any better. And my point was more to the fact it's not really surprising people fall for it.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #1893
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't make the printed version any better. And my point was more to the fact it's not really surprising people fall for it.
I think it does a good job of satire, but demands a careful read. Maybe it is really satirizing the careless way people consume information these days.

This quote, to me, shows that satirical nature of the article:

Quote:
"Netflix Canada needs to recognize that we have so many—well, we have several—really great Canadian productions." [said Tapliski]
The audio interview is way less subtle, putting "Heartland" at the same level of "Game of Thrones".
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #1894
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I think it does a good job of satire, but demands a careful read. Maybe it is really satirizing the careless way people consume information these days.
I don't think they're satirizing that at all. I think they think it's funny to 'fool' people and coming close to the truth is the only way they can do that.

For example:

Quote:
A highlight for many in attendance at sporting events is watching the 'kiss cam' on the Jumbotron, where spectators are encouraged to kiss on-camera while the crowd hoots and hollers with approval. For Ottawa mother Helen Dabney-Coyle, however, the 'kiss cam' is offensive, and she believes it to be inappropriate for children.
In this day and age doesn't sound like something that wouldn't happen.

Or:

Quote:
Thousands of Americans illegally flee to Canada over fears of election results
Which if you read the entire article, obviously satire, but they chose to use a headline that's possible that more or less happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #1895
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think they're satirizing that at all. I think they think it's funny to 'fool' people and coming close to the truth is the only way they can do that.

For example:

In this day and age doesn't sound like something that wouldn't happen.

Or:

Which if you read the entire article, obviously satire, but they chose to use a headline that's possible that more or less happened.

Don't all of those sound slightly incredulous though? The reaction I have to those is, "I can't believe it", not that I had better post it to a forum as legitimate news, or be bitter about it the whole day. When I listen to it in the radio you can tell right away from the way people are speaking in the interviews and such, with all of the "oow yay, we don't wanna the keeds ta feels bad so weez tooks the soccer balls so nobody can score".
Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #1896
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
This and That is awesome. The guys who put it together are former CBC news guys, so they nail exactly how the CBC presents it stories.

The best part of the show is when they play real calls to the CBC from listeners who are outraged at the satirical stories. Whenever I hear those calls I wonder how much genuine anger towards various government departments the show has stirred up. There's gotta be communication flacks at the Canada Revenue Agency or the Department of Corrections who listen to This is That with tremendous anxiety, and prepare themselves for an absolute ####show on Monday morning when they'll get a barrage of furious emails about their plans to crack down on lemonade stands, or put inmates to work levelling World of Warcraft characters.

Even funnier are the callers who are actually onboard with the outrageous schemes.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/t...cord-1.3854800

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-08-2017 at 08:42 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #1897
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another great season of Bojack. Incredible show that can make you go from howling laughter to punched-in-the-gut sadness in no time flat.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #1898
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a new series up on Netflix today (at least I just noticed it today) called Confession Tapes. It seems like they've built an entire series based on the reaction to the coerced confession of Brendan Dassey in Making a Murderer.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #1899
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is everyone's theory on Making a Murderer? I personally believe he did it, and probably Dassey was involved, but given our system and the reasonable doubt aspect, I think both of them should have been found not guilty. I do think the cops were a bunch of meatheads, and the defense did an amazing job, but there seemed to be so much that had to be planted and such a big conspiracy for all this to happen with none of the conspirators talking about it. I do believe they had it in for him and focused on him right away though, which was probably not right. But everyone came across as very dis-likeable on that prosecution team.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #1900
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
What is everyone's theory on Making a Murderer? I personally believe he did it, and probably Dassey was involved, but given our system and the reasonable doubt aspect, I think both of them should have been found not guilty. I do think the cops were a bunch of meatheads, and the defense did an amazing job, but there seemed to be so much that had to be planted and such a big conspiracy for all this to happen with none of the conspirators talking about it. I do believe they had it in for him and focused on him right away though, which was probably not right. But everyone came across as very dis-likeable on that prosecution team.
It's tough because we are only really presented with one side of the story. I have read a few articles online that discuss aspects of the prosecution's case that lead me to believe Avery isn't as innocent as the doc portrayed him. Some interesting facts of Avery's behaviour towards Halbach paint a different picture.

However, just the details of the case from the defense's perspective should have been more than enough for reasonable doubt. I cannot imagine anything that the prosecution presented would make a jury convinced of his unquestionable guilt.

As for Dassey, I would really love to see the entire confession tape. From the bits and pieces presented, it seemed pretty clear the police coerced a markedly low-IQ child into a narrative they could use against Avery. I can't believe his defense didn't present that.

With the limited evidence and knowledge I have, I am more convinced of Dassey's innocence that Avery's. That said, I don't believe Avery should have been convicted given how much the department bungled the investigation and the sizable reasonable doubt presented.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: