Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #201
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Isn't that an issue that is shared by every mobile home owner who does not own the land their home rests on?

Will the City need to rescue them as well should their land owners decide not to renew leases?

The City has to be very aware of any precedent set dealing with the Midland folks.
I think it's a different conversation if the city hadn't given them false hope regarding a replacement mobile park.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #202
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

False hope =/= legal obligation

As many have mentioned, if there was an obligation (contractual or constructive) you would have filed some kind of lawsuit by now.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #203
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Fair enough, but you're still asking low income residents to find a way to ante up $55,000.00 per pad to do that. or add about $5000.00 per year to their bottom line living expenses.

Of course its going to be rejected, and I don't doubt that the city knew it would be rejected before they presented it.
I live in a neighbourhood adjacent to this park. Not including any discussion at all about property taxes, the letter to the residents about another trailer park, ect.

You do realize that $55,000 per lot on that property is an absolute steal, right? My home, the lot alone is worth $3-400,000.00 today. If their lots are one third the size (which it appears from google maps), then these people were offered their lots at least half off. In all likelihood, these lots are worth on the order of 200,000 each right now - especially if they were bought all together. If these people had merely bought the land for the same price, then sold it themselves to a developer, they would have made off handsomely. Even just owning their own land, they would have had a massive windfall in terms of equity. Most people don't buy land cash, so it would have been a loan they would have needed in order to keep their homes.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #204
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
I live in a neighbourhood adjacent to this park. Not including any discussion at all about property taxes, the letter to the residents about another trailer park, ect.

You do realize that $55,000 per lot on that property is an absolute steal, right? My home, the lot alone is worth $3-400,000.00 today. If their lots are one third the size (which it appears from google maps), then these people were offered their lots at least half off. In all likelihood, these lots are worth on the order of 200,000 each right now - especially if they were bought all together. If these people had merely bought the land for the same price, then sold it themselves to a developer, they would have made off handsomely. Even just owning their own land, they would have had a massive windfall in terms of equity. Most people don't buy land cash, so it would have been a loan they would have needed in order to keep their homes.
I'm not sure that's a real comparison though. Whatever they might pay for their lot, it would have to include shares of the common lands in and around the park. That's going to require a condo corp with shares that they'd be required to purchase and maintain. Whereas your house is its own entity, these lots are not and that brings up significant differences.

The difference between a lot where you live and a much smaller lot in that park is huge. You can never build a house on the exact lot someone would theoretically buy for 55k. You'd need about three of them to amount to anything of any value for any developer. You can see this occasionally in Calgary neighborhood where a house is 25-50% less than the other houses in the area and then you look at the lot. It's chopped up and totally impossible to do anything with.

Financing for a serviced lot is much different than financing a developed lot with a house. The infrastructure in the park is in no way adequate for a development to take place so you'd essentially be financing bare land. The down payment might be 35% though more likely 50% and the rates might be prime plus 3%. Your house is essentially 100% liquid.

And similar to the really out to lunch argument that someone would have begun a law suit if there were anything illegal going on here, asking people who can afford to own and live in a mobile home to come up with tens of thousands to buy something that would require a significant and sophisticated further investment is kind of dumb. Try rounding up ten of your favorite neighbors and start talking about development. Or sit in on a condo board meeting.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #205
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
The difference between a lot where you live and a much smaller lot in that park is huge. You can never build a house on the exact lot someone would theoretically buy for 55k. You'd need about three of them to amount to anything of any value for any developer. You can see this occasionally in Calgary neighborhood where a house is 25-50% less than the other houses in the area and then you look at the lot. It's chopped up and totally impossible to do anything with.
Impossible to do anything with- other than place a manufactured home on it. Given a price of $100-150K for a brand new manufactured home; being able to have something that is inner city for $150-200K is an exceptionally good value. So much so that I would think if they had gone that route, when it came to resale they would have been able to command a much higher price. Or lived comfortably on a piece of land that they now own.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #206
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure that's a real comparison though. Whatever they might pay for their lot, it would have to include shares of the common lands in and around the park. That's going to require a condo corp with shares that they'd be required to purchase and maintain. Whereas your house is its own entity, these lots are not and that brings up significant differences.

Financing for a serviced lot is much different than financing a developed lot with a house. The infrastructure in the park is in no way adequate for a development to take place so you'd essentially be financing bare land. The down payment might be 35% though more likely 50% and the rates might be prime plus 3%. Your house is essentially 100% liquid.

And similar to the really out to lunch argument that someone would have begun a law suit if there were anything illegal going on here, asking people who can afford to own and live in a mobile home to come up with tens of thousands to buy something that would require a significant and sophisticated further investment is kind of dumb. Try rounding up ten of your favorite neighbors and start talking about development. Or sit in on a condo board meeting.
You never address the difficult questions but I'll ask them anyway.

Addressing your last paragraph, was any effort made to hire a lawyer on a contingency basis? Contingency cases are quite commonplace these days.

Furthermore, of the banks who allegedly lent money against the City's so-called guarantee that a new park will be built, why have none of them taken action against the City? Banks aren't known to shy away from protecting their legal interests.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #207
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Some of what you are talking about is fair - except that one. The lots in the park are pretty close to the minimum lot size in the rest of the city - 25 feet wide, check it out. Lot depth is also fairly similar to the rest of the city, especially in the inner city, which is comparable in location to the Midfield park. At most, you would need two lots to build one house. That's 110k, plus 70k for infrastructure, to buy a lot worth 300k, minimum. Sounds like a great deal to me. Even if you needed 4 lots to buy one house, now all of a sudden you are dealing with a MUCH larger lot, and therefore a much larger house, and a much larger value. With the view on the North and East end, there isn't a scenario I could imagine where if these people were able to buy the land themselves, it wouldn't still become at minimum high end housing in 5-20 years. It's just too lucrative. Heck, that corner lot that is currently being used to store small trailers is alone worth a cool million, if it wasn't in a trailer park.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #208
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Impossible to do anything with- other than place a manufactured home on it. Given a price of $100-150K for a brand new manufactured home; being able to have something that is inner city for $150-200K is an exceptionally good value. So much so that I would think if they had gone that route, when it came to resale they would have been able to command a much higher price. Or lived comfortably on a piece of land that they now own.
Sure but you're talking about a very sophisticated investment for people, some of whom, are in subsidized housing. And other who are in no way financially able to do these things. That 55k is going to be pretty tough for a lot of people especially at elevated financing requirements.

Doing anything as ownership group would have made it a syndicated investment corp which brings in massive legal requirements. Not to sound snotty but I'm pretty sure no one in that park is an accredited investor capable of that sort of project.

I've been thinking about the infrastructure. It's not impossible to fix. You leave the old stuff buried under the trailers, install new stuff under the roads and add new trenchless lines to the houses. Or trench lines to the house. They're not attached to the ground. There's 2 feet of space under them. Infrastructure is not the issue.

The real issue as Carra, Nenshi, Ceci, Chabot et all were talking about ten years ago is that the highest and best use is much much greater than 6 units per acre. The city will benefit hugely from greater tax revenue so the residents should at the very least, not have to pay out of pocket for our benefit. All those guys are quoted saying that exact thing. All these councilors agreed we should move these people ten years ago. What's changed?

Quote:

Addressing your last paragraph, was any effort made to hire a lawyer on a contingency basis? Contingency cases are quite commonplace these days.

Furthermore, of the banks who allegedly lent money against the City's so-called guarantee that a new park will be built, why have none of them taken action against the City? Banks aren't known to shy away from protecting their legal interests
Contingency? You're talking about a few grand in most cases or a few million in a class action against the city. I would doubt there is a lawyer you could pay up front who'd want to sue the city on either scale much less do it for free. There's no money there after years and years of that sort of litigation. And I think it's a total myth that lawyers will take on cases pro bono at the drop of a hat. There was no upside here until the media started really getting into it this month.

But my general answer to your question regarding legality is...there are a million different ways to legally rob you blind. Because this might be completely legal, doesn't mean it's less devastating than fraud. It doesn't mean it's smart, beneficial to anyone or a good thing to have happened. It's none of those. I don't care if it's legally fraud or just actually fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Some of what you are talking about is fair - except that one. The lots in the park are pretty close to the minimum lot size in the rest of the city - 25 feet wide, check it out. Lot depth is also fairly similar to the rest of the city, especially in the inner city, which is comparable in location to the Midfield park.
Good point but it sort of doesn't really matter because houses wouldn't be going on the lots as defined by the existing trailers. If sold as a parcel the whole thing would be reworked to maximize views, add commercial possibly or parks. So it's not a viable investment as a buy, hold, build a house sort of thing. It's a whole sale land play which complicates it all very much.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #209
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
If that letter said in it's entirety what was posted without context, there would be a legal case proceeding against the city. The fact that there isn't means the letter has nothing of substance to it in it's entirety.

These people got more notice than any other tenant would get. Why should they get special treatment just because their landlord happens to be the City of Calgary?
Here is the letter:

http://imgur.com/VIAi738

http://imgur.com/UHmfhB1
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #210
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Wow. To this point I hadn't read any portion of the letter but had heard a lot of hearsay. What reason did the city give for why they changed their plans?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #211
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Wow. To this point I hadn't read any portion of the letter but had heard a lot of hearsay. What reason did the city give for why they changed their plans?
They didn't give one. They just got a letter on the door one day saying the park is closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #212
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They didn't give one. They just got a letter on the door one day saying the park is closed.
You conveniently forgot to mention that the residents of Midfield all but rejected the proposed site of the new park. Seems even then they seemed entitled to a "better" location and a better deal.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #213
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You conveniently forgot to mention that the residents of Midfield all but rejected the proposed site of the new park. Seems even then they seemed entitled to a "better" location and a better deal.
The location is irrelevant. The fact remains that people made investments based on a written commitment from the City to supply new serviced lands for a trailer park and they are out of pocket because of it.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #214
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Where is this info outside of your statement and Nenshi's? They residents didn't vote on anything regarding the park closing.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #215
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Furthermore, of the banks who allegedly lent money against the City's so-called guarantee that a new park will be built, why have none of them taken action against the City? Banks aren't known to shy away from protecting their legal interests.

I could be wrong but I don't think the bank would start anything now until a loan was actually defaulted on. And I think the onus would still be on the resident regardless. So if it is defaulted the banks wouldn't go after the city but after whoever took the loan out.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #216
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Where is this info outside of your statement and Nenshi's? They residents didn't vote on anything regarding the park closing.
Based upon the two letters shown above, it seems clear that the city had made a promise to setup another trailer park prior to closing this one. Given that information, it seems reasonable that a lawsuit would be successful; as the city went back on their word. Residents could even take this to small claims court, as I believe the maximum is $50K.

So why wasn't this done? In a park with 100 trailers there isn't one resident who wants/has the means to do anything? Or did a lawyer upon running some preliminary work find that there was further documentation in the city's possession? It doesn't have to be a vote- if they asked people to express their intent to move to the new park by a certain date, and nobody did, then that might take the city off the hook.

I find the lack of legal action disturbing. As Troutman et al often say on this forum, there are resources to ask for legal help, and lawers as well as U of C students willing to help. Years ago when I had a small claims case I called up a random law firm (one of the partners had the same last name as me.) I received some excellent advice; well more than 30 minutes worth.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #217
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
The city may be legally correct, but morally, they come across like any slum lord, willing to sacrifice the weakest of society to build more profitable, higher density condos..
I don't know many slum lords that are building profitable higher density condos. Don't slum lords usually rent out crappy sub-par unsafe units? IE. Slums?

You might think they're being morally bankrupt but really, the city is being the opposite of a slum lord in this situation.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #218
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Good point but it sort of doesn't really matter because houses wouldn't be going on the lots as defined by the existing trailers. If sold as a parcel the whole thing would be reworked to maximize views, add commercial possibly or parks. So it's not a viable investment as a buy, hold, build a house sort of thing. It's a whole sale land play which complicates it all very much.
They would be if the residents had bought the land together - because they would have owned their lots, theoretically. A scenario where they wouldn't own their lot, but instead a portion of the trailer park, well that wouldn't make any financial sense to anyone.

Quote:
I've been thinking about the infrastructure. It's not impossible to fix. You leave the old stuff buried under the trailers, install new stuff under the roads and add new trenchless lines to the houses. Or trench lines to the house. They're not attached to the ground. There's 2 feet of space under them. Infrastructure is not the issue.
Yup. That's the scenario where the infrastructure ONLY costs the amount previously listed. How much do you think these things normally cost?

Just for hookup to an existing main, the City of Edmonton gives a pretty basic cost outlay here:
https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_ser...ion%20Fees.pdf

Additional costs to actually install the mains for storm, water, sewer, as well as the hookups to the City system, and that $70,000 sounds like a relatively decent, to conservative estimate. The chances of going ahead, and then actually paying as little as $70k after the fact, is probably the same as any city project. ~60% of the time, the costs are higher than expected.

And this is WITH every trailer sitting on top of old, rotting sewer lines leaking into the soil and possibly backing up in the event of a storm. Now these lots that could potentially erect a nice house onto, have a massive liability for each owner. That would be a really tough financial pill to swallow.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #219
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who wouldn't grip about moving to a cow pasture on the city's edge after living in basically the inner city?

I think you conveniently forget that lives are being distressed and some even destroyed over greed.

And Nenshi is a snake
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #220
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I've changed my mind. The City should totally bail out these people.

While we're at it, let's also bail out the hundreds, if not thousands of condo owners who have been forced to pay special assessments in the thousands and tens of thousands of dollars for repair of faulty construction (usually due to water leaks) in newer buildings that had been inspected and approved by the City as meeting all Building Codes. We pay taxes too!

Where does it end?