Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #6401
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
I have gotten so used to wearing a mask that it's habit now and absolutely no issue. I know lots of people who have no problem wearing them.

Guess it depends on the circle you're in.
The psychopath cycle is the worst.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #6402
peter12
Franchise Player
 
peter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah and purely anecdotally, it's not as common as people would think. People are wearing masks there sometimes, but from my observations it's still the vast minority. Obviously that's just one guy going around as a tourist, but that was my thought.

And it seems like there is a disconnect here. We think that we need a strict mask law in the province at this point, but also many think it will be commonplace? That doesn't quite add up. Maybe we'll see more for longer, but I don't know if we see them in 2-3 years if there aren't ongoing or new issues.
I've travelled to Asia a few times - Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan - and I would agree with you. It's about as prevalent as it is in Richmond.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:54 PM   #6403
The Yen Man
Franchise Player
 
The Yen Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think the disconnect is probably in how common you think people are suggesting it's going to be.

From what I gather, we're talking about some people who are sick wearing a mask. Not like... everyone wearing a mask just in case. The reason we need a strict mask law is because we're asking everyone to wear a mask just in case.

I think it will certainly be more common, and at least accepted to the point that nobody will think it's strange, of people who are sick wearing a mask.
Yah, my hope was that it would common for people who are sick and contagious who are still out and about in public to wear one, and not be negatively stigmatized. That's the same with Asia from my experience. It's only people who are sick wearing them out in public, not everyone.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #6404
powderjunkie
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

A silver lining to Canada's scattershot vaccine approach is that it hedges us in the event certain vaccine(s) turn out to be ineffective. While not particularly likely, it wouldn't be that surprising, either. I'm kinda glad we don't have all of our chickens in one basket.

I know nothing about vaccines or the ingredients involved, but even if we had domestic capacity, might we be in a similar challenge to procure supplies/ingredients?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #6405
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
We would need more sick days at work then.
If everyone stayed home when sick less people would get sick. If there was a wholesale attitude change I bet the same number of total sick days would suffice.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #6406
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If everyone stayed home when sick less people would get sick. If there was a wholesale attitude change I bet the same number of total sick days would suffice.
I rail on my employees, even pre-pandemic, for coming in sick. Take your sick days. Need more take more, we are all adults. If I have to worry about you taking more "sick days" than you need, I should fire your ass.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #6407
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We purchased a lot of new laptops, extra sets of monitors, etc so people could work either the office or home. I think once the pandemic is over, it will be leveraged for making sure people can be productive while at home sick.
Well that's just great. "I'm sick." "yes, well, you better show some productivity now that you have a laptop."
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #6408
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Exp:
Default

One point to think about is that mask culture accepted in society may actually be a huge benefit for practicing preventative healthcare principles, something that will be critical to keeping healthcare costs under control especially as the Baby Boomer generation retires. We are already seeing less cases of various malaises in conventional, non-COVID patients just because people are changing their behavioral patterns.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #6409
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
One point to think about is that mask culture accepted in society may actually be a huge benefit for practicing preventative healthcare principles, something that will be critical to keeping healthcare costs under control especially as the Baby Boomer generation retires. We are already seeing less cases of various malaises in conventional, non-COVID patients just because people are changing their behavioral patterns.
And how many more people today realise the benefits of simpler things, like... you know... washing your hands, not touching your face, keeping proper distance if you're sick/around a sick person, covering your cough, using hand santizer once in a while, etc.

If anything, this has definitely made people more conscious about really simple healthy practices. Sure, some people will go right back to the farmer's blow in the Safeway parking lot or whatever, but even a smaller percentage of the population doing basic things better will have positive impacts.

Now if we could just get Boomers to stop using, folding, and re-using the same god damned piece of tissue, we're on our way.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #6410
Roughneck
First Line Centre
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: the middle
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well that's just great. "I'm sick." "yes, well, you better show some productivity now that you have a laptop."
It’s the marginal days it gets rid of. “I’m taking a ‘work from home day’” will hopefully stop the “I’m fine to go into work even though I shouldn’t because I don’t want to use up a sick day for this.”

Sick and Personal Days then just need to be respected, a bigger ask for more employers than it should, but it benefits all to have fewer sick people go into work.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #6411
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
And how many more people today realise the benefits of simpler things, like... you know... washing your hands, not touching your face, keeping proper distance if you're sick/around a sick person, covering your cough, using hand santizer once in a while, etc.

If anything, this has definitely made people more conscious about really simple healthy practices. Sure, some people will go right back to the farmer's blow in the Safeway parking lot or whatever, but even a smaller percentage of the population doing basic things better will have positive impacts.

Now if we could just get Boomers to stop using, folding, and re-using the same god damned piece of tissue, we're on our way.
That tissue in her purse is a 3 ply from 1975 and it’s still holding up today. They don’t make things like they used to.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #6412
GirlySports
NOT breaking news
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Managers (Hemi-Cuda's boss) don't even trust that people are working from home, let alone working from home while sick. And non-sick co-workers were already whining about always-sick co-workers. Some of the policies my workplace has had to put place would make you think it was a daycare.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #6413
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player
 
GoinAllTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sure, some people will go right back to the farmer's blow in the Safeway parking lot or whatever
Haha, I had to look this up. Thought it was referring to chewing tobacco or something. I was way off.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #6414
Flaming Homer
Franchise Player
 
Flaming Homer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: ---
Exp:
Default

Certainly doesn’t seem like anyone gives a ####. Ate at Rickys in the early afternoon on break yesterday. Packed with seniors. Multiple tables of 6. Went out to eat for dinner as well. Again multiple full tables. I have a hard time believing Grandma and Grandpa x3 all live together or the 6 mid 20s groups.
Flaming Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #6415
Smartcar
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Certainly doesn’t seem like anyone gives a ####. Ate at Rickys in the early afternoon on break yesterday. Packed with seniors. Multiple tables of 6. Went out to eat for dinner as well. Again multiple full tables. I have a hard time believing Grandma and Grandpa x3 all live together or the 6 mid 20s groups.
Well the rules were only supposed to come into effect today so yesterday was a bit of a last hurrah for some. But there's still no CMOH order re. only members of one household at a table in a restaurant. Enforcement is fines for violating an order, and it's not in an order.

Same with 25% capacity at retail stores - no order to that effect. So at this point it's something that's been announced as required, but there are no consequences for non-compliance.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #6416
Flaming Homer
Franchise Player
 
Flaming Homer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: ---
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
Well the rules were only supposed to come into effect today so yesterday was a bit of a last hurrah for some. But there's still no CMOH order re. only members of one household at a table in a restaurant. Enforcement is fines for violating an order, and it's not in an order.

Same with 25% capacity at retail stores - no order to that effect. So at this point it's something that's been announced as required, but there are no consequences for non-compliance.
Well eating with the wife again tonight so will be able to tell tonight. But I had thought the keep to your household rule was effective immediate?
Flaming Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #6417
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!
 
Torture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Certainly doesn’t seem like anyone gives a ####. Ate at Rickys in the early afternoon on break yesterday. Packed with seniors. Multiple tables of 6. Went out to eat for dinner as well. Again multiple full tables. I have a hard time believing Grandma and Grandpa x3 all live together or the 6 mid 20s groups.
Why would you do that to yourself?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #6418
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Why would you do that to yourself?
How can I spend my last day of legal social gathering for the next 3 weeks and do something hip?

I know, let's spend it in the same restaurant retired people go!
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #6419
Smartcar
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Well eating with the wife again tonight so will be able to tell tonight. But I had thought the keep to your household rule was effective immediate?
Yes CMOH order 38-2020 took effect Nov 24, but it only covers private residences, private social gatherings, places of worship, and masks. There is not yet an CMOH order covering the other stuff that was announced on Nov 24 to take effect Nov 27 (today).
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #6420
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Well one positive out of all of this is people have finally figured out how to walk in a straight line on the far right side of pathways and sidewalks. Sadly I’m sure as soon as this is all over everyone will go back to floating around like they’ve got a blindfold on.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 AM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016