Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default COVID-19 Vaccine Talk

Hi all, since the vaccine is going to be such a major part of discussion around COVID moving forward, I think we should have a special place for it on the board.

In some good news, Canada looks to moving towards final approval of Moderna's vaccine shortly.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...cine-1.5240446

Quote:
As many as 110,000 doses can be transported on a single pallet. Moderna intends to start shipping its vaccine to Canada within 48 hours of approval, with as many as 168,000 doses anticipated before the end of December and two million by the end of March.
Moderna's vaccine only needs to be stored at -20 C, and can be kept at room temperature for about a month. It can also be shipped between 2-8 C.

Last edited by peter12; 12-21-2020 at 04:25 PM.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #2
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot wait. How liberating it will feel to have it!

Yeah, Science!
Old 12-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Missing early targets is fine. December 2020 vaccination was just a morale booster anyway. My real concern is how far behind the Americans we already are - projections are already looking at a 2-4 month lag - but more importantly, how slow the January scale-up looks right now.

Again, this could all be nothing and we could reach 3M doses by March.

If anything, I’m optimistic because of how quickly the Americans seem to have scaled, even in spite of serious political dysfunction, so what's good because where America does well, we tend to benefit, too.

I only say this because I think beyond the cheerleading for how many hypothetical doses per capita we have secured, there are significant ongoing questions about provincial/federal cooperation and overall federal leadership that could pose significant problems for Canadians down the road.
I kinda feel like setting the bar at matching the American vaccination rate is always going to be doomed to fail, and make us look bad, given Pfizer being there, and almost all US production dedicated to the US. Of course we can't compete with that, so why bother being depressed about not matching their numbers? We should be comparing how well we do against other developed countries. In that respect I think we look pretty good, and will continue to throughout 2021.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Germany, UK and the US should beat us.

I am interested in how we compete against the rest of the G7 - France, Japan and Italy and against Australia. Following those nations in particular and the rest of the EU will be the metric I follow.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moderna vaccines seems like the logical choice to ship to rural areas, and keep pumping Pfzier into the metro areas. Hopefully by time February rolls around J&J will be approved and it can fill in the gaps.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #6
opendoor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think Germany, UK and the US should beat us.

I am interested in how we compete against the rest of the G7 - France, Japan and Italy and against Australia. Following those nations in particular and the rest of the EU will be the metric I follow.
For the next 6-9 months Germany is likely going to go as the rest of the EU does, since they haven't ordered any vaccines outside of the EU agreements. They're conducting bilateral negotiations for additional doses, but nothing has been finalized and based on what I've read, EU deliveries take priority, so they'll only see those doses after the EU's guaranteed order is fulfilled. So their schedule will largely be the same as every other EU nation, since they're distributed per capita.

Here's a good article on the German/EU situation; it doesn't sound materially different than Canada's:

https://www.spiegel.de/international...7-20145a898abd
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:45 AM   #7
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get in my veins!
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:38 AM   #8
BoLevi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here's a question... If you had the opportunity to give the vaccine to your kids based on current data, would you?
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:50 AM   #9
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
Here's a question... If you had the opportunity to give the vaccine to your kids based on current data, would you?
I don't have kids but yes, of course.
Edit: I forgot it hadn't been approved for children yet, so not until that time. Then yes, of course.

Last edited by Winsor_Pilates; 12-22-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:06 AM   #10
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two ''positive'' COVID threads in this sub-forum? I'll take it!

Here in Poland vaccines are expected to arrive on the 26th, vaccinations begin the 27th. The rest of the EU should align with that time as well.

Quote:
"Everything indicates that the first 10,000 doses of the vaccine will arrive in Poland on the evening of December 26, and on December 27, the first 10,000 people will be vaccinated," Michał Dworczyk told a private radio station.
Quote:
The European Medicines Agency approved the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine on Monday.

The European Commission, which has the final say on approving medical substances in Europe, gave the green light to the vaccine later in the day.

The Commission's president, Ursula von der Leyen, said last week that vaccinations would start across Europe on December 27-29.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:41 AM   #11
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My nephews girlfriend is a nurse in Anchorage Alaska and she got her first of 2 vaccine shots this past week.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:44 AM   #12
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

New fancy vaccine tracker.

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

Quote:
0.028 %
of the Canadian population has been vaccinated
Looking forward to seeing the colors getting filled in as time goes along, and the % of population increasing.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #13
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I wouldn't, for two reasons.

1) There haven't been enough trial participants to assess safety or efficacy in children. There's a reason why it's only approved for ages 16 and over. Like any pharmaceutical, you have to do the trials properly before administering to the population as a whole.

2) Serious consequences for younger children are either minimal or statistically non-existent. It's one of the reasons I'm comfortable with young children going to school. The risk to that group does not warrant administering an untested vaccine.

Now to be clear, I'm the furthest thing from an anti-vaxxer as you can get, but I am a strong proponent of proper scientific testing for any pharmaceuticals, especially when they are widely administered.

However, I fully expect that within the next 6 months there will be data to suggest that the vaccines are both safe and effective for children. At that point it will be approved and I will happily vaccinate my kids. It won't matter until then anyway, as their group was always going to be at the back of the line based on risk factors.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #14
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No,

It has not been approved for use on children and I have 0 ability to review evidence to make the determination if it is safe an effective on children.

In addition given the current shortage of vaccines and the high effectiveness in adults and the relatively low affect of the disease on children it doesn’t make sense to use outside of its current approval.

(Your post is a beautiful set up to trap pro-vaxxers into showing them to be just as irrational as anti-vaxxers)

Last edited by GGG; 12-22-2020 at 08:27 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do they find out if it is safe for children? Do they get parents to volunteer kids?
Old 12-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #16
BoLevi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How do they find out if it is safe for children? Do they get parents to volunteer kids?
Yep
Old 12-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #17
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, so would you volunteer your children to be tested for the vaccine if you could? Or will you only get it for them when others have done so?
Old 12-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #18
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we request some modifications/additives? Like something that will get them to put their toys away...if I step on one more LEGO in the dark...
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #19
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

as of today, Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine has only been approved in 16+ age group, and Moderna's vaccine only approved for 18+ age group.

Trials have begun for kids, 12+ age range

Last edited by Canada 02; 12-22-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #20
BoLevi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
OK, so would you volunteer your children to be tested for the vaccine if you could? Or will you only get it for them when others have done so?
I would not volunteer them at this point because I don't want to chance them getting the placebo.

I would give them the vaccine though, and they are all between 6 and 12.