Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Radio: New Show

Hey folks
We have another edition of Calgarypuck Radio for your enjoyment. Bingo and I breakdown the off-season so far, and get into some broader topics as well, including if any member of the current club merits Forever a Flame or number retirement honors.

Check it out (right click to download)
http://cpradio.calgarypuck.netdna-cd...adio_Nov26.m4a
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
if any member of the current club merits Forever a Flame or number retirement honors.
Gio I have to think for sure. Maybe Backlund if he plays a few more seasons here. Monahan and Gaudreau if they stay long term. Rasmus one day. Tkachuk.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would be kinda surprised if the Flames ever resurrected FaF for anyone else. Think it's far more likely that they pull a Leafs and just go back to retirements from now on, officially taking 2 and 25 out of circulation at some point down the line. They've discussed it.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 08:04 PM   #4
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I was about to make a joke asking which I couldn't find you on Google Podcast, then thought... maybe I should check juuuuuust incase.

With that now done:

Why's the last episode of CalgaryPuck radio from April 12, 2011 and not the current ones?

I'm downloading the podcast manually though Chrome? What is this 2003?

Seriously though, can't wait to listen to if in the car tomorrow.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great show guys!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah i really enjoyed it too...but refusing to discuss 93 further?

Chicken.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah i really enjoyed it too...but refusing to discuss 93 further?

Chicken.
Wouldn't have been all that controversial.

I think you have to do the following for 20 games
- let him play center
- give him decent wingers
- don't change it up

If that doesn't show a percentage of playoff Sam Bennett than he's just going to be that guy, and move on.

Will that happen? I think it was likely before they went out and added guys that can play on the right freeing Lindholm up to move to center. But now I don't know? Bennett may get 2/3 of the list and line up on the wing with Backlund going forward.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:49 PM   #8
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the talk about Lindholm at centre seems to stem from Treliving's remarks on the subject to the media. I happened to be listening to those remarks, and I noticed that he very carefully refrained from saying that the team would play Lindholm at C, only that they wanted the flexibility to have that option. Whereas he has said unambiguously that Bennett will play C.

It also remains the case that Lindholm is by far the team's best option at RW. The off-season additions give the team more depth on the right side, but none of them are plausible top-line players. Leivo, for instance, is probably an improvement over Dube if slotted in as 3rd-line RW. He is a downgrade on Lindholm if slotted as 1st-line RW.

Based on these facts, I believe that putting Lindholm at C is the backup plan in case Bennett fails. I don't believe there is a plan to put both players in the middle simultaneously, and still less (as some CPers keep suggesting) that Monahan will be traded to make room for Lindholm. If we do see Lindholm at centre for any extended period, it's either because of a key injury down the middle, or because something else went seriously wrong.

Last edited by Jay Random; 11-28-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Most of the talk about Lindholm at centre seems to stem from Treliving's remarks on the subject to the media. I happened to be listening to those remarks, and I noticed that he very carefully refrained from saying that the team would play Lindholm at C, only that they wanted the flexibility to have that option. Whereas he has said unambiguously that Bennett will play C.

It also remains the case that Lindholm is by far the team's best option at RW. The off-season additions give the team more depth on the right side, but none of them are plausible top-line players. Leivo, for instance, is probably an improvement over Dube if slotted in as 3rd-line RW. He is a downgrade on Lindholm if slotted as 1st-line RW.

Based on these facts, I believe that putting Lindholm at C is the backup plan in case Bennett fails. I don't believe there is a plan to put both players in the middle simultaneously, and still less (as some CPers keep suggesting) that Monahan will be traded to make room for Lindholm. If we do see Lindholm at centre for any extended period, it's either because of a key injury down the middle, or because something else went seriously wrong.
Could certainly be the case, that does make sense.

I think the biggest thing is to have two looks this year that they can go back and forth on ... makes them less predictable come playoff time.

The Monahan/Gaudreau combination could bounce back. They could have a decent regular season for example. But if they don't try other looks, once again they'll head into a playoff series with the other team keying on them together with no comfortable alternative in place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for answering my question. Solid answer. Give Bennett 25% of the season at center and see what you have. Based on a 48 game season that means we only have to suffer through this madness for 12 games! ;-)
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #11
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Thanks for answering my question. Solid answer. Give Bennett 25% of the season at center and see what you have. Based on a 48 game season that means we only have to suffer through this madness for 12 games! ;-)
You do hope he succeeds right? As a fan I mean.

You're not actively cheering against a player turning the corner.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I won't speak for NE, but I have also been a Bennett detractor in the past. It would be the greatest thing possible for this club if he played like playoff Bennett 100% of the time.

But if you're actively betting on that to happen (again...) this season, then I have a bridge investment I would love to chat with you about.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #13
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I won't speak for NE, but I have also been a Bennett detractor in the past. It would be the greatest thing possible for this club if he played like playoff Bennett 100% of the time.

But if you're actively betting on that to happen (again...) this season, then I have a bridge investment I would love to chat with you about.
Nobody suggesting giving him a quarter of a season and that's that is investing heavily in the outcome.

Just wanting to prove it out once and for all.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #14
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Not cheering against him at all. I would love it if playoff Sam Bennett was the player we had game-in-game-out. But I've seen this movie before. I know the twist and the reveal, and hoping for a different outcome just seems fruitless. I will remain extremely skeptical of Bennett and firmly believe the 10 games are not as indicative as the previous 60+. I hope he comes to camp and shows everyone that he's turned the corner. I just hope that if he doesn't people will finally acknowledge its time to move the hell on and that we probably missed on an opportunity to turn him into something of value.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #15
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Not cheering against him at all. I would love it if playoff Sam Bennett was the player we had game-in-game-out. But I've seen this movie before. I know the twist and the reveal, and hoping for a different outcome just seems fruitless. I will remain extremely skeptical of Bennett and firmly believe the 10 games are not as indicative as the previous 60+. I hope he comes to camp and shows everyone that he's turned the corner. I just hope that if he doesn't people will finally acknowledge its time to move the hell on and that we probably missed on an opportunity to turn him into something of value.
More or less on the same page.

If he gets a healthy set of games at center, with consistent above average linemates and isn't productive it's time to let that top six (or even nine) dream die.

Not agreeing on the window though.

I think they would have had to risk more moving him early when he still had value than they did by keeping and working with him; especially with the intangibles he provides.

Not like they were going to move him half way through his sophomore season (last time anyone would see him as the 4th overall)