Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #421
KamFongAsChinHo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Ha! That is terrific. I was at the game and saw the check by Bartkowski....thinking to myself "Man, that guy has some wheels". Jagr is a beauty.
KamFongAsChinHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #422
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I think Jagr is here for the year. No way he steps away after 10 games, not when he is so close to the game played record. I think that is wishful thinking on someone's part. What I could see is Jagr getting spot duty, and someone else in the lineup taking it in the pants as a result. I think the Flames want Jankowski in the lineup, but hope Jagr can have a positive influence on guys like Bennett, Ferland, Tkachuk, and the aforementioned Jankowski. Someone else may lose their spot and Jankowski gets recalled, getting double duty on the 4th line, and stepping in for Jagr when he has to miss a shift.

My comments on last nights game, intensity is still a challenge. Flames came out like gang busters and completely owned the first. Then they took the foot off the peddle and let the Kings slowly take over. I hate seeing that stuff. That's where the coach needs to kick some butts and keep them focused. One guy that I still am not happy with in the lineup is TJ Brodie. I know this won't be popular, but he gets beat wide way too often, and he's soft as a kitten's coat. Love him when he gets the puck an wheels, but the rest of his game is well below average. He need to pick up his game or I wouldn't be disappointed to see him moved in a larger package for a RW and a 2nd pair defender than can provide a little more muscle. You can't rely on Mike Smith to bail this team out they way he has to open the season. Bennett also needs to get his beard out of his ass and start showing why he was drafted 4th overall. The Flames need him to step up. That, or they have to focus on getting Backlund extended. Bennett drives that decision.
I agree that Bennett needs to start showing up on the scoreboard but I don't see what that has to do with Backlund. Backlund is the Flames' best 2-way forward. Flames should be looking to extend him regardless.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #423
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Great coaching there. Put out Frolik and Backlund vs the Kings starting OT unit then Monahan, Gaudreau and Brodie against their second unit.
This has been happening since last year. I don't get why the other teams don't catch on.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #424
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
This has been happening since last year. I don't get why the other teams don't catch on.
What are other teams supposed to do about it?
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #425
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
And he had some good shifts last season. Still the same old Brouwer of last year until he proves otherwise.
Can't recall. He's looked much more engaged over the past two then he was all of last season.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #426
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
What are other teams supposed to do about it?
save there best lineup for Monahan I dunno lol.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #427
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish Brouwer wasn't on this team...

with that said, I am glad that Brouwer has been on the this team the last two games. He has been good these last few - 2 at least, maybe 3 past games.

Him sticking up for Giordano is the right thing to do for sure in that situation. That is what I want to see MORE from the Flames. There is a fine line between being a physical, difficult to play against team that stands together shoulder to shoulder, and an undisciplined team getting goaded into taking penalties so easily (Winnipeg, I am looking at you here).

IMO, Flames have another few steps to take to plant themselves firmly in the 'we won't take that crap, so don't even try it'. This team last year was way too soft I felt, and it showed when teams started playing the Flames physically. Believe in fighting or not, believe in having capable fighters on the team or not, intimidation does play into hockey at this level, and we have heard many players pretty much saying this for a while now (like Backlund saying "we feel 2" taller with McGrattan in the lineup" - NOT insinuating that the Flames should suddenly start signing and playing heavyweights - that era is more than likely over for good).

Yesterday's game was exciting because of all the emotion involved and how you saw two teams battling for those 2 points, not just going through the motions of the system. Brown stepped over the line, and damn sure there should have been a response. Quick was damn sick of Tkachuk in his crease, and decided to try and attempt a double-leg takedown, but instead got his mask ripped off for his trouble... but the intent is the same.

I love it. It makes the Flames (and hockey in general) much more exciting to watch, and viewers like me become that much more invested in the game. No fight was needed - fights aren't always needed - but a statement every now and then is to show the team you are playing - as well as other teams around the league - that you don't cross the line.

Swagger. That is the missing ingredient from this team.

Hartley's playoff team was all about swagger. They had all the toughness in the world, and they played Hartley's system really well, and built up that (unsustainable swagger). Gulutzan now has a much deeper team, but still lacking some size and toughness as compared to SOME teams, and has a system designed for this team that should make them successful. Now they just need to execute a bit better, and build up that swagger. No team wins the cup without swagger.

Hope it comes soon. I think this team is deep enough to really start competing for the cup. They may not be experienced enough, but I do think they are deep enough. Once they start getting that swagger like they did a few seasons ago, a lot of heads will start turning towards the Flames and giving them the nod acknowledging them as one of the contenders.

Brouwer's response helps it along. Winning and sticking up for one another really helps it along. Brouwer earned a stay of execution in my books - not only for sticking up last night, but for looking rather decent on the 4th line the last couple of games. He plays this way most nights, and I will call him an over-paid but important cog, and I will love him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #428
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Interesting speculation

@TSNSimmer: Give Jagr 10 games. If he's not feeling it. I think he steps away. @TSN1200
Trolling TSN clickbait from some schlub,nothing more, nothing less, from the same media outlet who had 4 articles about McDavid and the chances of him scoring 100 goals, a week ago.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #429
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Trolling TSN clickbait from some schlub,nothing more, nothing less, from the same media outlet who had 4 articles about McDavid and the chances of him scoring 100 goals, a week ago.
Thank you for this, I was laughing when I read this trolling clickbait. Jagr in 10 games is going to be a big part of this team! 👍
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #430
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Can't recall. He's looked much more engaged over the past two then he was all of last season.
Brouwer at the beginning of last season really carried the load early on during that terribad start. Id dare say he was one of the lone highlights of the first 10-15 games.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #431
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Also the same media outlet that felt they had to report on McDavid falling down on a line rush in practice.
chockfullofgoodness is offline   Reply With Quote