Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Big Gulutzan Interview

Since we're all starved for hockey talk I'm surprised no one has posted the huge (30-40 min) interview with Coach Gulutzan today interviewed by Derek Wills.

Can't find an isolated link for it but this link has the whole hour that the Gulutzan interview was in. Interview starts 3 minutes in. Hockey talk starts at 7 mins in.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-...-show-1pm-766/

Some interesting points include:

-Gulutzan talks about the growth of the team over the previous year
-Gulutzan says most improved player was probably Hamilton. 1st pairing, elite competition, 50 points, he's taken a step. Talks about defensemen maturing later than other positions. Talks about Gio/Hamilton as analytically the best pairing in the league.
-He talks about Matt Tkachuk surprising him. Don't see a young guy play that type of role (playing against best competition) and being able to maintain it the entire season. It's a special player if they can come out of junior and be that calibre of player.
-Talks about Backlund. Says maybe he under appreciated him as an opposition coach earlier. Didn't realize how good of a two-way player he was.
-Talks about Smith's size, competitiveness and puck moving ability. Says he's one of 3 or 4 goalies who the opposition has to gameplan around his puck moving ability
-Talks about Smith leaving a rebuilding club in ARI and now just being able to focus on winning and playing goal. Says it can really help pull your team if you have 5-6 veteran guys who are just looking to win.
-Talks about Smith being able to make the occasional breakout after a bad dump-in. But also thinks he'll be great at just setting the puck up for the defense who can move it very well themselves.
-Talked a bit about Lack, his style change in CAR, how that may have affected him.
-Says there was a big style change at the start of last season. Had the worst PP and PK to start the season. From game 16-82 they had the 1st and 3rd PP and PK.
-Talked a bit about Gaudreau and Monahan missing most of camp
-Says there will be more familiarity to start this season. 15 of the players know the system already
-Talks about Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland being likely to start the season together. Liked the unit. Thinks Ferland played well on that line both in the playoffs and the regular season. Even though they didn't score a ton in the playoffs they got a lot of chances.
-Says there will be a very competitive camp. Lots of players were simmering in the minors last year.
-Talks about why he thinks Bennett will break out. Compares him to other highly skilled young players like Seguin. Analyzes his early career. Talks about the difficulty of playing centre at age 19. He'll come back bigger, stronger more confident every year.
-Talks a bunch about how Hamonic should be a great fit with Brodie. Excellent skater, can move the puck, plays physical, has experience playing top minutes against the best in the league.
-Wills asks about training camp battles
-Gulutzan first brings up Hathaway, saying "he was a big part of our club when he was in the lineup". Will be a very competitive camp for him.
-Talks about Jankowski being runner up for rookie of the year in the AHL. 6'4+. 210 lb+
-Talks about Kulak getting experience last year. Mentions Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki as guys who will compete.
-Talks about Foo. Great speed and competitiveness. In great shape.
-He says these simmering players will put a lot of pressure on to win roles

That's a bit of a taste but it's a long interview and worth a listen! I found it interesting that Hathaway was the first name he thinks of when talking about camp battles. I think he's pencilled in personally as that 4th line RW grinder. Be interesting to see how they slot Jankowski in at camp.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 133 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
14, 3thirty, 420since1974, 442scotty, 8sPOT, Anduril, apiquard, badger89, bdubbs, Bear, Bezer, BIG M, bigrangy, Bill Bumface, Brad Marsh, Braden, bubbsy, Burner, Calgary4LIfe, CalgaryFan1988, Captain Hair, Captaincanada80, CaptainCrunch, CF84, Cheese, Chingas, chummer, Cole436, ColoradoFlamesFan, cral12, CroFlames, CsInMyBlood, cupofjoe, Cycling76er, DaQwiz, dash_pinched, DeluxeMoustache, Demaeon, DigitalCarpenter, Dion, dying4acup, Enoch Root, EVERLAST, FacePaint, FBI, firebird, firebug, Five-hole, flambers, Flamezzz, flame^thrower, Freddy, Gaskal, GoJetsGo, Gondi Stylez, GreatWhiteEbola, GreenHardHat, Greybeard, Homeslice, Huntingwhale, I-Hate-Hulse, Iceman57, iggy_oi, IgiTang, IliketoPuck, indes, Inferno099, Iniggywetrust, Jacks, JohnnyB, JohnnyTitan, JT45, kbvall, kehatch, KevinKlineReadingABook, killer_carlson, kkaleR, KPJ, Lil Pedro, Loudog, Matata, Mazrim, mikephoen, Mister Yamoto, MisterJoji, Mony, MrMike, Mustache, oxygen, Party Elephant, Plaedo, puckedoff, PugnaciousIntern, Radio, Reaper, redforever, ricosuave, RM14, Robbob, roberts10, robertsfanatic, Robo, rogermexico, Roof-Daddy, Rubicant, RyZ, Saint Troy, Samonadreau, savardandjokinen, Save Us Sutter, Savvy27, shadowlord, slybomb, SOMBRI2, squirtle, StAlbertFlame, Steve Bozek, Stillman16, StrykerSteve, Superfraggle, Table 5, Textcritic, the2bears, tvp2003, UKflames, Vinny01, Vox, Vulcan, wired, Yrebmi, Zevo, zukes, Zulu29
Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great summary FDW. Thanks!
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to this interview this afternoon, the brass is going to be Tre disappoint if Jankowski is not in the opening night lineup. Gulutzan called him "Mr Jankowski" - said he's over 6 ft 4, over 210, and scored 27 goals in a league where that's really hard to do. Nothing we haven't heard before in terms of verbiage, but when you hear how his voice changes, you can tell they're all extremely excited. Jay Feaster had one more gift to give.

Were I Matt Stajan, I would begin polishing my modified NTC list.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Listening to this interview this afternoon, the brass is going to be Tre disappoint if Jankowski is not in the opening night lineup. Gulutzan called him "Mr Jankowski" - said he's over 6 ft 4, over 210, and scored 27 goals in a league where that's really hard to do. Nothing we haven't heard before in terms of verbiage, but when you hear how his voice changes, you can tell they're all extremely excited. Jay Feaster had one more gift to give.

Modifying, or even subtracting teams from his NTC list would be a better way of putting it but I can't see Stajan having any value to other teams right now thanks to roster and salary cap complications. Maybe try trading him at the trade deadline if all goes well for him.

Last edited by Karl; 09-01-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Injuries always happen, so it'd be best to keep Stajan.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

-Talks about Kulak getting experience last year. Mentions Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki as guys who will compete.

Didn't mention Wotherspoon, think he has to be in the mix as well
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #7
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post

Didn't mention Wotherspoon, think he has to be in the mix as well
I was reading the 2014 poll we had asking who the most likely prospects to make the team out of training camp were. We were asked to vote two forwards and a defense. IIRC the leading vote getters were Gaudreau, Baertchi, and Spoon. 2014. 3 years ago. Have to admit I am becoming a little disillusioned in Wotherspoon.
Then again, I wrote off Giordano once upon a time too.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

Agreed on the Stajan part. Between lazar and jankowski both would have to crap the bed I think to not take a center spot from him, and then he has even more competition on the wings as I think Porier particularly will push for a spot this yearr with Foo.
I can see Stajan being offered a job with the team, alas for the last year he has on his contract.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

So much to look forward to. The depth we have in case of injuries and the attitude change from where we were 3 years ago.

Things have quickly changed since Glen stepped in.

He doesn't get all the credit as there are so many other pieces Tre has done a good job....not perfect....but great job.

Hearing a coach this excited about the potential, his players as well, the media....when was the last time we had expectations like this that didn't have to be tempered?

I'm used to lowering my expectations by about 30% yearly so I'm not left disappointed at year end but I'm getting giddy thinking about crushing our division this year and looking forward to watching a season and a playoffs full of meaningful hockey.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Gulutzan has really grown on me, he really seems to have been a good choice for this moment in time for a developing, and perhaps challenging club.

I think he was classy to play down the absolute tear down that he had to perform last season out of respect to Hartley, but it's pretty clear that the team's core had to unlearn a pretty unorthodox system.

Love that he mentions Bennett again, that's twice in two off season interviews, really have my fingers crossed that Bennett breaks out, but wonder what they have in store for linemates and ice time for him to help him make that happen.

My favourite comment of his came last year when he was alluding to Monahan and Bennett, and how they are learning to play the game the right way, that there would be a lot of fun nights at the Saddledome when they get their games rounded out. ... I think we started seeing that from both players towards the end of the season.

This year is so interesting in so many ways.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

As long as Bennett doesn't miss camp.. he needs to be there! He cannot afford a late start and have his game lag behind as it could hurt his confidence and he seems like the type of player that when he's hitting holes and pursuing the puck with confidence, his potential shines.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope we don't re-sign Chiasson. All this opportunity Gully speaks of is out the window if we do that.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #13
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Yeah..no more Chiasson. He seemed totally out of place on the roster.

He was an odd ��....he seemed to weird people out a little.

I can't remember the last time we had a player on the roster like him.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

What do you mean by this?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #15
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
As long as Bennett doesn't miss camp.. he needs to be there! He cannot afford a late start and have his game lag behind as it could hurt his confidence and he seems like the type of player that when he's hitting holes and pursuing the puck with confidence, his potential shines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

Am I the only one who thought Chiasson was a great 4th line RW that could chip in on the 3rd line and on the ok as well?

Watching those Bennett highlights, I really got the sense that he contributed more than people think.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #16
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Am I the only one who thought Chiasson was a great 4th line RW that could chip in on the 3rd line and on the ok as well?
Chiasson was a great 4th line RW and on the PK as well, who was an okay filler on the 3rd line.

However:

1) This is not a high benchmark. We have mature prospects who can satisfy it. At worst Freddie Hamilton has shown a high level of play at 4th line wing and on the PK. He even showed more chemistry with Gaudreau/Monahan a year back, though it wasn't explored last year. Hamilton struggled at center but I see him as an NHL bottom 6 RW.

2) I see him as being a guy who would be on a one-way deal and instantly be our 9th or 10th forward on Gulutzan's depth chart picking up from last year. This pushes everybody down a spot heading into camp.

3) We're also stuck with Troy Brouwer, who will be either 4RW or 3RW. No escaping the money he is owed. He's not the worst 12th forward but he's a RW and so is Chiasson, meaning there's some uncertainty about them playing opposite each other on the same line.

4) Versteeg is also a natural RW, so if a LW prospect makes it, Versteeg can move back to his natural side. When Chiasson was brought in, we didn't have Versteeg.

5) Lazar and Hamilton are also a right-shot forwards, who may be more comfortable at RW than LW if they aren't playing C.

6) Chiasson is useful, but his offensive ceiling is well-established. The ceiling of a guy like Jankowski, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Foo or even Dube, Lazar, or Hamilton are more up-in-the-air and worth exploring.

If Chiasson were brought in to be the 13th forward (or make Brouwer the 13th forward) it would be perfect. I don't even think he's a 13th forward, he's an awesome 11th forward IMO. But we have an abundance of 11th/12th forward types already as well as prospects. There's just limited upside to Chiasson and some downside WRT the opportunities Gully speaks of at the moment. If given the choice between Brouwer and Chiasson on the 4th line, I pick Chiasson. We haven't got that choice though without burying 4.5 million in the press box.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-03-2017 at 06:37 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #17
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would Chiasson be markedly better than some of the guys on ELCs? I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be cheaper, though.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #18
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jagr is an upgrade on Chiasson
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #19
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Chiasson was done in Calgary when he had that brain fart line change in Montreal. That was that.

Down to the third and fourth lines the rest of the year (where he belonged), and not brought back despite how easy it would be to give him a PTO.

That's a massive lack of hockey sense, something this era of Flames hockey can't tolerate.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #20
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Good points GEV and for those reasons, I agree that he likely isn't what the Flames need any longer.

But I still think he was better than most give him credit for. I thought he was as advertised.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post: