This time next year the thread title will be:

Sam Bennett 17/18 Highlights - Part 1
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #22
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a stud. Above all else his compete will make him great!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #23
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
PS you're welcome in advance for the Bennett signing that will happen now as a result.
Thanks AC. Due to poor reading comprehension on a thread title a while back I irrationally thought your name had changed to ScotiaBank arena.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 09-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #24
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thank you AC, your efforts are appreciated immensely.

Bennett will be a consistent 60 point player to my mind. I like that he seemed to be using the one timer more .
The mean streak is apparent and I like how it adds to the overall make up of the team.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #25
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was on the fence about Bennett, this video has turned me around. Couple of things I noticed.

I was really impressed by how often he lays a big hit then looks for (and controls) the puck, directly resulting in scoring chances.

He is way more physical than I remember. With some extra weight he will be a nightmare to contain.

You can see the skill. It wasn't always apparent last season but he is on the cusp and can do things that only highly skilled players can do.

Can we skip September and go straight to the season?
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #26
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With Bennett, Ferland, and Tkachuk we have a skilled, physical sh*** disturber on each line. With Gio, Hamonic and Stone we have a physical, two way defencemen on each pairing. Therefore we should always have at least 2 tougher players on the ice at all times.

Lots of talk of this team being too soft, so who should be moved, out of Monahan, Hamilton, Gaudreau, Backlund, Frolik, Versteeg, Brodie, and Jankowski, to add toughness?

So sorry for off Topic, but the video made me think of how under valued the grit Sam Bennett brings to this team really is. Great Job as always AC
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:01 AM   #27
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
With Bennett, Ferland, and Tkachuk we have a skilled, physical sh*** disturber on each line. With Gio, Hamonic and Stone we have a physical, two way defencemen on each pairing. Therefore we should always have at least 2 tougher players on the ice at all times.

Lots of talk of this team being too soft, so who should be moved, out of Monahan, Hamilton, Gaudreau, Backlund, Frolik, Versteeg, Brodie, and Jankowski, to add toughness?

So sorry for off Topic, but the video made me think of how under valued the grit Sam Bennett brings to this team really is. Great Job as always AC
I agree to a point but having middle weights like Bennett and Ferland as your best scrapers won't discourage heavyweights or cheapshot artists from taking liberties, If Gaudreau gets slashed 20 times in a game again and someone doesn't send a brutal violent message I will loose my shaat
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #28
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
On a side note does anyone know how many goals Bennett has had called back, betting it is tops in the league the last few years!?
fyp

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #29
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks AC!!!
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #30
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I agree to a point but having middle weights like Bennett and Ferland as your best scrapers won't discourage heavyweights or cheapshot artists from taking liberties, If Gaudreau gets slashed 20 times in a game again and someone doesn't send a brutal violent message I will loose my shaat
Most of the slashes on Gaudreau were from guys like Eric Staal and Ryan Suter. Having guys like Bennett and Ferland who can go after them at every opportunity every shift for 15+ minutes a night at ES, AND handle themselves in a fight if it comes to that, is a much better deterrent than a guy like Bollig sitting on the bench. Suter's never going to fight a 4th line goon, but he might get into it with Ferland after the 6th time he gets hit on the forecheck.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #31
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope Bennett gets more power play time this season, he has plus skill and a net presence
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #32
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett's going to be bald with a dusty mustache by 25 and it will be glorious.

Lots of skill. Lots of anger. He also obviously hates the Ducks.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #33
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love that Bennett wrister. It's Sakic sexy.

Monhan, Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski down the middle is championship centre depth.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #34
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Looks like Brodie has the vote. It'll be relatively short it looks like, so I will do Versteeg right afterwards as well.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #35
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

This guy is being wasted on the 3rd line. Seeing him playing with Bouma and Chiasson made me want to throat punch my eyeballs.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #36
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Excluding Bennett, the Flames have Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, and Tkachuk as their 4 top offensive talents. Bennett is the only one not playing alongside another, and it's because he's a centre. The choice is
1) keep him at #3 C and he gets inferior linemates
2) move him to #1/#2 C and demote Backlund to #3. Ridiculous.
3) move him to wing and demote Ferland or Frolik to the 3rd line.

It's between option 1 and 3. If the Flames are in "win-now" mode then they need Bennett playing near his potential. The Flames have enough centre depth to fill the 3rd and 4th lines. The best case scenario is that Jankowski gives management no choice but to start him in the NHL as a C. That way, Bennett can be moved to a higher line on wing and Jankowski can play #3 C.

Gaudreau - Monahan- Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Versteeg - Jankowski - Frolik
Hathaway - Lazar - Brouwer
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #37
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

After watching Sam play with Chiassons, Bouma, Brouwer and get misused allot he sure shows what he can do with players with talent.

Seeing him play with Versteeg , Johnny makes me wonder what kind of numbers he post if he played on a consistent line with the likes of Frolik and Backs.....I hope he continues his Ascension no matter where he plays I just hate watching him cheated of his true potential.

I love watching this guy throw his weight around and not back down to anyone.

Sam don't give a damn. In that video I see a clip of Ferlund watching Sam in front of the bench getting into it and kind of smile knowing someone just bit off more than they should.

Sam reminds me of a hybrid Doug Gilmour, Marc Savard and glimpses of Gary Roberts.
What a great player. Hope we lock him down soon so he doesn't get away.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #38
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd like him to come in to camp with better speed. He is not Monahan slow but his other strengths would fit better with faster high end speed. Sounds like he has had a good off season so I look forward to seeing his progress in this area.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #39
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Bennett is the only one not playing alongside another, and it's because he's a centre. The choice is
2) move him to #1/#2 C and demote Backlund to #3. Ridiculous.
Backlund? I think you mean Monahan. Which is hardly ridiculous, if a bit luxurious. I don't think Monahan has definitively set the bar high enough yet, and in fact did spend time last year centering Versteeg/Brouwer while Bennett centered Gaudreau/Chiasson. It's happened before and may happen again. Hopefully with better RWers.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #40
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Backlund? I think you mean Monahan. Which is hardly ridiculous, if a bit luxurious. I don't think Monahan has definitively set the bar high enough yet, and in fact did spend time last year centering Versteeg/Brouwer while Bennett centered Gaudreau/Chiasson. It's happened before and may happen again. Hopefully with better RWers.
I agree that Backlund was a better C than Monahan last season but Monahan Ian not going to the 3rd line before backs.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote