Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #21
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We really don't know if it's substance abuse. Could be a mental illness as well. Shouldn't jump to conclusions.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #22
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

We don't know, but his history and the context of his agent's comments don't exactly make it a large leap.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #23
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
No one is calling him a Saint. The things you are describing often go hand in hand. The man needs help and suggesting he should be able to do it on his own is just ignorant.
Of course he needs help. But in the agent's interview, he says that Mike was in rehab and checked himself out after a month. They can't force him to stay. He has to want to be there. It's 100% his own decision and he has to want it.

The agent made it clear he hasn't hit rock bottom yet, which is really sad, because he's not at the point of wanting to do what needs to be done to get clean. It will likely be the hardest thing he's ever done, to reach out and grab those hands reaching out to him.

I never suggested he do it on his own. For an addict and person who is likely suffering from some kind of mental health issue, that's unrealistic. But he has to take that first step and want to get help. That part is 100% his call.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
We don't know, but his history and the context of his agent's comments don't exactly make it a large leap.
Yup. With his history, going missing has a few possible explanations, and lots of them just aren't good.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #25
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope he can figure out what he needs to do.He can only change if he wants to.Sometimes choosing alchohol and drugs over your family may seem selfish but that's what addiction does to a person.Never kick a man when he is down.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #26
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
No one is calling him a Saint. The things you are describing often go hand in hand. The man needs help and suggesting he should be able to do it on his own is just ignorant.
Are you calling me ignorant? No kidding the guy needs help now and probably can't do it alone.

Put it this way....this stuff starts somewhere. Back when he had his first steps down this road...he didn't need someone there to counsel him not to be self destructive. He made stupid/selfish choices early on and it sounds like he was a dad when this really started. Its one thing when you are hurting yourself. Its another when you have dependents.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #27
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Are you calling me ignorant? No kidding the guy needs help now and probably can't do it alone.

Put it this way....this stuff starts somewhere. Back when he had his first steps down this road...he didn't need someone there to counsel him not to be self destructive. He made stupid/selfish choices early on and it sounds like he was a dad when this really started. Its one thing when you are hurting yourself. Its another when you have dependents.
I'll be the one. You are ignorant.

The addition of children into the equation doesn't magically make a cognitive behaviour dysfunction go away. You acknowledge that he needs help but you want to assign blame and demonize him. People like you are one of the reasons why those with mental health and addiction issues don't get help. The public judgement of them by those who like to talk of stupid/selfish choices is why people keep this kind of stuff hidden. Your desire to assign blame is an obstacle to your understanding.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:47 AM   #28
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Bump: Arrested in Florida for trespassing after being warned.

https://www.rapsheets.org/florida/mi...MIKE/170166216
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #29
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

He looks very thin and unwell in that mugshot.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Bump: Arrested in Florida for trespassing after being warned.

https://www.rapsheets.org/florida/mi...MIKE/170166216
Ugh...why do they always, always, always end up in Florida. It's like a Mecca for ####heads.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #31
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Damn, hope he finds a way to get clean, alcoholism is fking awful.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #32
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I'll be the one. You are ignorant.

The addition of children into the equation doesn't magically make a cognitive behaviour dysfunction go away. You acknowledge that he needs help but you want to assign blame and demonize him. People like you are one of the reasons why those with mental health and addiction issues don't get help. The public judgement of them by those who like to talk of stupid/selfish choices is why people keep this kind of stuff hidden. Your desire to assign blame is an obstacle to your understanding.
You're guilty of simplifying too. People have free will. They make choices. Addiction isn't a binary condition, and it doesn't magically take away all responsibility for your actions. Here are some people I know:

A) Very social guy who likes to go out and drink. Marriage fell apart and he met a younger woman who is even more social and goes out almost every night. In the divorce settlement, he chose to have his kids only every second weekend so they wouldn't mess with his active social life.

B) Guy with wife and kid who drinks a lot, often alone in his garage. Also drives drunk.

C) Guy who has been heavy pot smoker and drinker since high school. Works as little as possible. Owes every landlord he's had money and now lives in a camper.

Do you think all of those guys are blameless? Hostages to some cognitive behavior dysfunction that they never had any chance to overcome? Is my choice to judge in some of these cases an obstacle to my understanding?

Personally, I don't see any contradiction in saying people need help, but they should also accept responsibility for their behavior.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #33
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You're guilty of simplifying too. People have free will. They make choices. Addiction isn't a binary condition, and it doesn't magically take away all responsibility for your actions. Here are some people I know:

A) Very social guy who likes to go out and drink. Marriage fell apart and he met a younger woman who is even more social and goes out almost every night. In the divorce settlement, he chose to have his kids only every second weekend so they wouldn't mess with his active social life.

B) Guy with wife and kid who drinks a lot, often alone in his garage. Also drives drunk.

C) Guy who has been heavy pot smoker and drinker since high school. Works as little as possible. Owes every landlord he's had money and now lives in a camper.

Do you think all of those guys are blameless? Hostages to some cognitive behavior dysfunction that they never had any chance to overcome? Is my choice to judge in some of these cases an obstacle to my understanding?

Personally, I don't see any contradiction in saying people need help, but they should also accept responsibility for their behavior.
Have you been working on this reply for almost 3 months now?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #34
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're guilty of simplifying too. People have free will. They make choices. Addiction isn't a binary condition, and it doesn't magically take away all responsibility for your actions.
Way to miss the point completely. I didn't claim that addiction was some sort of get out of jail free card as you are implying. I said that the desire to assign blame and demonize addicts/drunks/what-have-you was one of the reasons why people end up not getting help. They want to avoid stigma and scrutiny. When all the pearl clutching ramps up (won't someone think of the children, etc.) all it does is encourage people with addiction issues to keep them hidden because they don't want to be seen as the demon. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

Quote:
Here are some people I know:

Personally, I don't see any contradiction in saying people need help, but they should also accept responsibility for their behaviour.
Wow, a lot of words you tried to stuff in my mouth there. I never said addicts were blameless nor have I said that they are hostages to whichever cognitive behaviour dysfunction they engage in. If I wanted to paint an aura of blamelessness I would have trotted out the notion that addiction is a disease. It isn't. Cognitive behaviour dysfunctions can be overcome or managed through strategy and new learned behaviours.

Your choice to judge is an obstacle to your understanding because judgement serves no purpose other than to draw a quick line between right & wrong, good & bad, moral & immoral, etc. In cases of addiction this ends up being a case of "who is to blame for this mess" when the issue is more complex than blame alone. Assigning blame is one of those things humans love to do that does nothing to solve the problem. We love to judge people and place them in little convenient mental categories so we can rate ourselves as to how we compare to them. For addicts, judgement, blame, and stigma are additional obstacles to be overcome and make it harder to recover. Most addicts have trouble being honest with themselves and their families. When they consider the blame and stigma it becomes more likely that they justify their decision to keep themselves hidden and avoid treatment. The addict usually already knows they have messed up; shame can be a big driver in continuing addiction.

At no time did I say there was a contradiction between saying people need help but should also accept responsibility for their behaviour.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #35
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

In a sense, yes - they are hostages, until they can fully admit it. In some cases it requires people to hit a very low rock bottom. In some cases that's still not enough. There are different levels of bottoms depending on the person.

Alcoholics/addicts generally have addictive thinking long before they get into and abuse any substance. Alcohol and drugs are just a symptom. There are very few people that get help that would consider themselves saints leading up to that point. There are people with far worse pasts than Mike that have recovered.

Alcoholics and addicts certainly aren't blameless, but it's a serious disease that is still largely misunderstood, which is evident in your comment. And I don't mean to offend by saying that, as you're certainly not alone, but it's just the reality.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #36
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yikes he looks rough
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #37
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

what's the over/under on when he gets one of those tear drop tattoos?
Old 11-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #38
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
He looks very thin and unwell in that mugshot.
He has always looked thin and unwell.

I'd say he looks healthier in the mugshot than he did in his player photo with the Coyotes.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #39
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Yikes. It looks like he has been unwell for a while.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #40
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
We really don't know if it's substance abuse. Could be a mental illness as well. Shouldn't jump to conclusions.
Those 2 things go hand in hand often. Very likely a combo of both
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote