Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The fact that the Oilers chose Steve Kelley ahead of him and Iginla will always let me have a soft spot for Doan. Yet another failure the Oilers can hang their hat on.

Even better is Kelly still won a cup. Something that Doan never will achieve and pretty sure Iggy is at the same point.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #22
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Good riddance, glad I wont have to watch another cheap shot Doan play in the NHL ever again.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #23
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

count me as surpised that doan is dirty, I guess I did not watch him closely enough
Old 08-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #24
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Great player, great person. But yeah, he did have some dirty momemts
Old 08-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #25
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Doan was a whiner too. Good riddance.

Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #26
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Maybe I'm just ignorant, but where does this repuation of Doan being dirty come from? I know he was a power forward type player in his prime and played hard. But some of you make it seem like he's Matt Cooke. Lest we forget that our own beloved Tkachuk is often seen as 'dirty' by other fans around the league...

People have good things to say about Doan on and off the ice. Not too sure where this dirty reputation comes from. Could someone Google for me and provide some examples?
These are the two best examples that come to mind ; Doan was known for targeting the head
Spoiler!

then he has a bunch of borderline hits like these
Spoiler!

He was also fined $2500 for boarding Mark Giordano - I can't find the video.

He played on that fine line and sometimes crossed it. He injured a ton of players during his career.

Last edited by HighLifeMan; 08-30-2017 at 12:49 PM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #27
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Its funny. I've always liked Doan. Maybe its because he's a local boy.

With that bias I tend to defend his cheapness. He's a guy that played on the edge. Some of those hits look aweful, but I don't think it was a guy intentionally trying to injure. It looked like a guy who plays on the edge getting a little reckless.

Kinda reminds me of our own Tkachuk.

The whining about the refs in the media is not the classy way to go.....but we all think it about our own teams and he was a frustrated guy right after being eliminated.

Anyhoo. Always liked Doan and in his prime I would have taken him on the Flames any day.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #28
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Great career, Shane, he never got a shot at the Cup.
FYP.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #29
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doan has always been one of my favourite players in the NHL.
Hope he has a great life after hockey!
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #30
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to this report, the Flames were interested in signing Doan prior to his decision to retire.

theScore - Report: Flames, Oilers were among teams interested in Doan
Report: Flames, Oilers were among teams interested in Doan

https://www.thescore.com/news/1362159
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #31
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While Doan gets a good pass from me for being a local and a great person off the ice, I still love his hate for the Oilers simply for not drafting him. Still to this day he hates the Oilers for his draft day and for that he get a pass on his "on edge" play on the ice.

If you ever meet the guy in person you will gain a lot of respect for him. Too bad the cup missed him, maybe iggy can take his spot and grab one this year instead.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #32
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

From BR:

"Knowing he wouldn't be returning to the Coyotes, four teams quickly reached out to the unrestricted free agent, and at least one more club did so later on.

Among those clubs were the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers, according to John Gambadoro of Arizona Sports, a move which would have marked a homecoming for the Halkirk, Alberta native. The Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators, and New York Rangers also expressed interest."

This quote makes me think that Doan is the veteran who Treliving referred to in the beginning of the off-season (the vet who was impressed with what the Flames were building).

If they looked at Doan, it probably meant nothing. So maybe the Jagr rumours also mean very little. I'm also a little skeptical that Doan wouldn't sign with any of the team's mentioned.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #33
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For that long of a career for a physical player, his rap sheet is pretty tame.

When I played, I was on the edge and took every hit I could make so I have a tough time faulting him for a couple that went over the line in that time period.

He was a great player and it sucks to see a lot of the players that came of age at the same time I did at the end of their careers. I had fun watching the Blazers dominate the WHL for all those years in the 90's.

Hopefully he can enjoy a bit of down time as he will definitely have options to continue with hockey in some capacity.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #34
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
From BR:

"Knowing he wouldn't be returning to the Coyotes, four teams quickly reached out to the unrestricted free agent, and at least one more club did so later on.

Among those clubs were the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers, according to John Gambadoro of Arizona Sports, a move which would have marked a homecoming for the Halkirk, Alberta native. The Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators, and New York Rangers also expressed interest."

This quote makes me think that Doan is the veteran who Treliving referred to in the beginning of the off-season (the vet who was impressed with what the Flames were building).

If they looked at Doan, it probably meant nothing. So maybe the Jagr rumours also mean very little. I'm also a little skeptical that Doan wouldn't sign with any of the team's mentioned.
Treliving leaves no stones un-turned. He probably asked Doan if he plans on playing outside of Arizona and what his ask is.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #35
jeffmacrealtor
Draft Pick

He looked done to me last season.
jeffmacrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #36
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was shown that the unnamed player who called Treliving was Doan.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #37
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a hard time respecting a guy who turned down trade after trade to contenders to stick in Phoenix. If Phoenix had even a remote chance of winning the cup that may have changed my mind, but they never have. This guy wanted to collect the cheques while never shouldering an ounce of accountability. I actually see him as a bit of a coward.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:55 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I have a hard time respecting a guy who turned down trade after trade to contenders to stick in Phoenix. If Phoenix had even a remote chance of winning the cup that may have changed my mind, but they never have. This guy wanted to collect the cheques while never shouldering an ounce of accountability. I actually see him as a bit of a coward.
What? I'm not a huge fan of Doan but how is this realistic? He'd have been under contract and collected more or less the same amount of money depending on local tax jurisdictions.

Was money really that much of a motivation?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #39
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What? I'm not a huge fan of Doan but how is this realistic? He'd have been under contract and collected more or less the same amount of money depending on local tax jurisdictions.

Money had nothing to do with it. The guy likes Arizona a lot, his whole life has been built to it. He has a big horse ranch which I think was priority #1 over hockey for a while now. He is an outdoorsman so the weather is perfect and he golf year round. His kids are born and raised there (I assume he has a few) as well. For some players location and comfort trump a shot at the SC.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #40
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Money wasn't the motivation, he would have got that anywhere. My problem with Doan is that he was perfectly happy losing. I think the poster above
Summed up why I personally have no respect for him. He did not care about winning at all so long as he Could continue to live on his ranch without any pressure to win or succeed. The guy could be the nicest guy in the world, but he's the farthest things from a winner in my eyes that there could be.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote