Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #101
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Not even close, as much as I can't stand him, Kesler is twice the center than Backlund is, Kesler trumps Backlund bigtime in scoring,hits and faceoffs. plus all the other stuff!
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #102
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Sure

Kesler:
0.61 PPG
146 hits
57.4 FO% wins

Backlund:
0.49 PPG
55 hits
48.1 FO% wins
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #103
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Kesler also is a former 40 goal scorer so while he had similar seasons leading up to the trade his entire body of work was far better than Backlund.

Similar to Ottawa and Bobby Ryan the Ducks were obligated to keep Kesler considering they gave up quality assets to acquire him
Or the fact that he was an absolute beast in the playoffs once again.

There is no way the Ducks move Getzlaf or Kesler because they can dominate any game they'd like. And I say this being one of the biggest Kesler haters out there...
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #104
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not even close, as much as I can't stand him, Kesler is twice the center than Backlund is, Kesler trumps Backlund bigtime in scoring,hits and faceoffs. plus all the other stuff!
He scores a little bit more - he has has a 40 goal season as mentioned by Vinny, but that was in 2010-11, the year the Canucks played well as an entire team. Other than that he's a 20-25 goal man. Possession wise, his stats aren't as good as Backlund. And Backlund is younger. Hits - meh. Faceoffs - Kesler is definitely better (which makes Backlund's possession stats more remarkable IMO - imagine if he improves his faceoffs).

In the two years before his most recent contract, he was a 20 goal/45 point guy. Like Backlund is now. If Backlund's agent isn't using Kesler as a comparable, he's crazy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #105
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am fine with anything 5.5M per or under. Anything more than that and the long term cap impact is too high imo and you trade him.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #106
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say $5.5M to $6M would be fair. We won't have Stajan's $3.125 and we may not need Versteeg's $1.75M either, both replaced by players from the farm. It's time to pony up for one of our core players who is arguably our #1 centre.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:40 AM   #107
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's still one year, do you have the fancy charts from previous years?
Dunno about fancy charts, but here is an excerpt of an article about the 2013-14 season, which was four seasons ago:

Quote:
Five-on-five, each of the three players are possession dynamos.

When you combine them, they’re downright dominant.

Mark Giordano alone has 53.3% Corsi, Mikael Backlund alone has 51.7% Corsi, and T.J. Brodie alone has 51.5% Corsi.

In pairs? Giordano and Brodie are 56.2%, Brodie and Backlund are 59.4%, and Giordano and Backlund are also 59.4%.

Per a tweet by Tyler Dellow (@mc79hockey), without any of the three on the ice, the team’s Corsi is 42%. When all three of them are on the ice together generates 63.7% Corsi. That’s a crazy drop-off
http://thehockeywriters.com/underrat...lames-rebuild/

Sure doesn't sound like last year was a fluke. Sounds more like a coach figured out that Backlund is better used with minutes and quality linemates than as a babysitter for fringe NHLers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Kesler also is a former 40 goal scorer
Kesler also played some 1RW and 1st PP Unit with the Sedin Twins when that happened IIRC.

Quote:
Good would be a better word, last season was the first time in his career he got into the top 40 in points for a center, calling him "great" after one very good year is severe homer-ism. ?
Last year was also the first time in his career he had a consistent linemate post 48 points. Maybe there is a correlation... even causation... between winger production and center production.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-04-2017 at 02:25 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:15 AM   #108
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kesler trumps Backlund big time in scoring? Maybe if you overvalue the fact that Kesler plays PP with Getzlaf, Perry, Sedin, Sedin while Backlund for whatever reason never played PP with Gaudreau or Monahan. Kesler certainly doesn't trump Backlund in ES scoring though, especially minute-for-minute. Since the lockout:

Backlund
1.564 P/60 @ 5v5
Kesler
1.464 P/60 @ 5v5

These are 4500-4700+ minute samples here where Backlund has outproduced Kesler outside of special teams.

Hits? If you can find me a true correlation between hits and winning I will be interested. Our best hitter last year was Troy Brouwer. It's not that hits don't have their place in the sport, but they're not useful for comparing two players. There are different ways to skin a cat, basically.

Faceoffs? Okay, let's agree Kesler is better at faceoffs. But what does that even mean? Faceoff wins translate into a very small portion of goals scored, I don't reclal the exact number off-hand but we're talking 2-3% of goals. Now tell me if the difference between 48% and 56% is significant enough within that context. I'm sure it's worth a goal or two a season... but there are many ways to make up the difference, even if they're not as easy to look up. Not that recorded faceoff percentage truly represent the outcomes of most faceoffs anyways.

All the other stuff? What is that exactly? Kesler is a great player, but you're simply reaching here.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: