Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #41
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I think you want to have him locked up by Christmas, otherwise you may want to consider a trade while his value is still quite high (likely get a great return).
Nah, this team needs to be in win now mode. Win now teams don't trade pending UFAs just before the playoffs. I'd rather keep him for a playoff run than trade him.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #42
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think that winning organizations take a longer term view of the world and are the better organizations at smart asset management. Like Tampa Bay, for example. Unafraid to make potentially unpopular moves for the good of the franchise.

No doubt he would contribute to a playoff run but again if you get compelling return and the market makes sense I think you need to make tough decisions sometimes. It depends on what the return there is.

Personally I think people who take a black and white dogmatic approach to asset management are looking at the trees and not the forest. It's not like I'm suggesting you give him away and Treliving has proven himself competent at trading assets.

And just to add- the most likely outcome in your scenario is Calgary keeps him and loses in the playoffs and then loses him in the offseason to free agency because if he has a season this year anything close to last year, the man is going to get paid. It's not like people don't know who he is. When Sidney Crosby is singing your praises I suspect others may notice his effectiveness as well.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 08-29-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #43
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trade
Trade
Trade

Then sign him July 1st and let him be a part of the parade
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #44
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think that winning organizations take a longer term view of the world and are the better organizations at smart asset management. Like Tampa Bay, for example. Unafraid to make potentially unpopular moves for the good of the franchise.

No doubt he would contribute to a playoff run but again if you get compelling return and the market makes sense I think you need to make tough decisions sometimes. It depends on what the return there is.

Personally I think people who take a black and white dogmatic approach to asset management are looking at the trees and not the forest. It's not like I'm suggesting you give him away and Treliving has proven himself competent at trading assets.

And just to add- the most likely outcome in your scenario is Calgary keeps him and loses in the playoffs and then loses him in the offseason to free agency because if he has a season this year anything close to last year, the man is going to get paid. It's not like people don't know who he is. When Sidney Crosby is singing your praises I suspect others may notice his effectiveness as well.

When did Crosby sing his praises? ... not doubting, more curious as to what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I think that winning organizations take a longer term view of the world and are the better organizations at smart asset management. Like Tampa Bay, for example. Unafraid to make potentially unpopular moves for the good of the franchise...
Like how TB handled Steven Stamkos? Like with Stamkos I fully expect that even if Backlund finishes the season without an extension he will re-sign with the Calgary Flames. He is not getting moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #46
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I consider him the Flames 2nd most valuable player after Giordano. Everyone does better when they play with him, and he's going to have lots of good years left. Guys like him that do it all are hard to come by.

You sign him at all costs. He's a core piece.
Maybe most valuable in providing wins to the team. Far from most valuable in trade tho.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #47
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Maybe most valuable in providing wins to the team. Far from most valuable in trade tho.
That would make it even more imperative to sign him, as he has more value to the Flames in winning than in trades.

I have trouble envisioning a scenario where trading him increases the Flames chances of winning a Cup in the next 2-3 years.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I really like how Yzerman seems to have no emotional attachment to players and seems willing to make moves which in his mind are for the best for the organization even if they may be unpopular with fans. The worst thing a GM can do is become emotionally attached to players and this has always been a big problem with NHL GM's and organizations. You have to be able to separate what's best for the organization from any emotional attachments.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #49
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund will be signed before Christmas. Just like Brodie.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #50
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It all depends on his contract expectations. it's easy to say that they should keep him no matter what but if he wants anything more than 5 years, you really have to think about it. There's no way I'd give him an 8 year deal, I know how important he is tot he team but I don't see him being the same player in his mid 30's. Saying that, I would however give him 8 years if it was a 4 mill cap hit but that probably wouldn't happen. I would give him 5 years and try to keep it under 6 mill per but that's just me. If he's asking for way too much, you have to field offers on him and evaluate all options.

Asking price, length of deal, trade offers, how prospects are doing and who makes the team, any trades made between now and when a decision has to be made...way too many factors in play

Saying keep him no matter what isn't the best idea. If he only wants 8 but won't lower his asking price I don't think it's worth it. If another team offers a trade that is a huge over payment, you take it. The GM has to do what's going to help the team.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #51
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That would make it even more imperative to sign him, as he has more value to the Flames in winning than in trades.

I have trouble envisioning a scenario where trading him increases the Flames chances of winning a Cup in the next 2-3 years.
I agree. Unless Bennett and or Janko really come out guns flying. If one of them does, than I would not be opposed if Backs brings back a legit rs RW for line 1. That's a big if tho, as I question Bennetts iq to become a dominant centre. Janko is a huge question mark. So until further notice we have to get backs signed. We can always trade him later if those guys do develop into the players we hope.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

This
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #53
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I really like how Yzerman seems to have no emotional attachment to players and seems willing to make moves which in his mind are for the best for the organization even if they may be unpopular with fans. The worst thing a GM can do is become emotionally attached to players and this has always been a big problem with NHL GM's and organizations. You have to be able to separate what's best for the organization from any emotional attachments.
But in the context of this discussion doing things "the Yzerman way" does not necessarily mean drawing a line in the sand for a new contract. As I mentioned earlier Steven Stamkos played in the Eastern Conference Finals as a pending UFA, and then came to terms with the Lightning on an extension just days before 1 July. My point being that even if Backlund is not signed by the TD, the most prudent move is not necessarily to trade him away. Yzerman could have commanded a very nice return for Stamkos, and yet opted to wait things out, likely because he recognized how much more important Stamkos was to TB's present playoff push.

As with Stamkos, I don't expect Backlund will be traded under any circumstances this year. Whether he re-signs in the season or after the playoffs I don't believe that Backlund will be playing anywhere but in Calgary for the next several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #54
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
If another team offers a trade that is a huge over payment, you take it. The GM has to do what's going to help the team.
I don't have a problem dealing him if it helps the Flames, and I mean the current Flames.

I doubt that a pending UFA unable to come to terms with the Flames will garner trade interest of anything more than (1) another pending UFA that won't come to terms; or (2) draft picks/prospects from a team trying to win the Cup.

It's great to say sign him for 5 years at a favourable AAV, but saying to simply trade him if that doesn't happen doesn't really help Calgary contend.

As many have said, I think the chances of him signing a more reasonable deal are there. I'm just looking at the consequences of him not doing so and playing more hardball.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:26 AM   #55
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disclaimer - I love Backlund but I fully expect to get pissed on with my opinion.

Backlund's two best years by far have been his last 2 where he averaged 50pts per season, good numbers and last year took it to another level with his defensive play. Here's the problem though, he'll be 29 next March so the probability of him already reaching his prime is extremely high.

If he wants north of $5m I say trade him for RW help before camp even opens and roll the dice that another center can come thru.

Players such as Simmonds, Hayes and Palmieri would be on my radar to make the flames better and if Backlunds not enough to get at least a conversation going then he's not worth over $5m a season anyway
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #56
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
it all depends on how the season is going for me
Hopefully you put in the hard work during the summer and have a good season.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #57
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

In what parallel universe does this scenario take place?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #58
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Pinder on the radio this morning. I don't think he will take less than Frans Nielson's contract which was 6 years x 5.25 million. I don't think you can replace him (at this time) maybe a couple of the other centers step up this year, but losing Backlund would be a huge blow IMO.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #59
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But in the context of this discussion doing things "the Yzerman way" does not necessarily mean drawing a line in the sand for a new contract. As I mentioned earlier Steven Stamkos played in the Eastern Conference Finals as a pending UFA, and then came to terms with the Lightning on an extension just days before 1 July. My point being that even if Backlund is not signed by the TD, the most prudent move is not necessarily to trade him away. Yzerman could have commanded a very nice return for Stamkos, and yet opted to wait things out, likely because he recognized how much more important Stamkos was to TB's present playoff push.

As with Stamkos, I don't expect Backlund will be traded under any circumstances this year. Whether he re-signs in the season or after the playoffs I don't believe that Backlund will be playing anywhere but in Calgary for the next several years.
Lets also recognize that Stamkos is a franchise player, and it was a foregone conclusion he was going to make money near the $8.5M level, and produce at that level. It is one thing to roll the dice on a franchise player you know is worth the Brinks truck, than doing the same on a 2nd or 3rd line center. I think the Flames will make their decision around Christmas and a lot of that will be based on the performance of Bennett and Jankowski.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Disclaimer - I love Backlund but I fully expect to get pissed on with my opinion.

Backlund's two best years by far have been his last 2 where he averaged 50pts per season, good numbers and last year took it to another level with his defensive play. Here's the problem though, he'll be 29 next March so the probability of him already reaching his prime is extremely high.

If he wants north of $5m I say trade him for RW help before camp even opens and roll the dice that another center can come thru.

Players such as Simmonds, Hayes and Palmieri would be on my radar to make the flames better and if Backlunds not enough to get at least a conversation going then he's not worth over $5m a season anyway
Trading Backlund for a RW puts us right back to having the worst collection of Cs in the division.

Backlund is a great player and if we trade him, it will almost certainly be for pieces that are less valuable

It absolutely boggles my mind how fans want to trade players the moment they become good. Backlund is a key piece and, with the style he plays, he should continue to be a key piece for at least 3 or 4 years.

The whole point of acquiring good players is to build a team. We have a team for the next 3 to 5 years (at least). Let's try to win with it,instead of trading it for more future parts.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: