Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What if Backlund is not re-signed by the trade deadline?

What do you do in the following situations if Backlund doesn't sign an extension by the trade deadline?

1. Flames are battling for top spot in the division.
2. Flames are battling for one of the wild card spots.
3. Flames are out of playoff contention.

If it's the #1 scenario I think you have to keep him and hope you can re-sign him after the playoffs. Can't trade your #1 or #2 center if you have a good chance for the cup. In the other scenarios I would trade him, because the chances of a cup are much lower and Backlund should return a ton at the trade deadline.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

1. Re-sign Backlund after the trade deadline.
2. Re-sign Backlund after the trade deadline.
3. Re-sign Backlund after the trade deadline.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1) Sign him
2) Sign him
3) Look at getting the best package available
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Work on his contract post deadline.
2. Work on his contract post deadline.
3. Only if he tips his hand to wanting to try being a UFA or has outrageous contract demands you look for the best possible deal otherwise BT will work on his contract post deadline.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on a few moving parts, including his salary demands and performance of certain players. If he's asking for too much, then you trade him. Trading him will be easier if Sam Bennett steps up and proves to be a second line center. Having Stajan, Jankowski, and Lazar as possible centers on the 3rd and 4th lines helps the loss that much more. To me it boils down to where the team believes he's going to fit in long term. I believe he's a third line center in the future, and you have to pay him in that range. So anything more than $4.5M and I think he has to be traded. If Bennett doesn't step up in the first couple of months of the season, and is instead trending toward that third line center, then you can up the ante and maybe offer an extension to Backlund in the $5-6M range as a second line center. There are a lot of moving parts here, and much of that will shake out before Christmas. If things go according to plan, Backlund could be made expendable before the trade deadline. A lot of "ifs" there though.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pretty sure he will be staying in Calgary no matter what. I would like management to evaluate his point totals without Tkachuk through the year before handing him the big money contract. Could be the difference between a $4.75M and a $6.25M. I just prefer them to be sure as to what they are paying for.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I consider him the Flames 2nd most valuable player after Giordano. Everyone does better when they play with him, and he's going to have lots of good years left. Guys like him that do it all are hard to come by.

You sign him at all costs. He's a core piece.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends how his season is going but it would be a shame to see Backs lost for nothing.

I suspect the team will try and have Backlund done before the end of 2017
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
1. Re-sign Backlund after the trade deadline.
2. Re-sign Backlund after the trade deadline.
This. Unless they're clearly out of the playoffs and Brad gets an indication that he won't sign (which I think is unlikely), then he should explore trade options. But keeping Backlund needs to be a priority.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving is going to have a pretty good understanding of what it will take to get a deal done with Backlund prior to the trade deadline. If he doesn't think he can make the numbers work, you absolutely trade Backlund. He's a huge asset, and there are good examples out there as to why you don't just let players like that walk in free agency (look at the Stastny/Colorado situation).

If a deal can't be had, and you can get significant assets in return (especially because we've spent quite a few future assets already), you have to look at it as an option.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think this is a textbook situation where team and agent negotiate during the regular season. The Flames will see how the season is going from both a team and Backlund point of view before re-upping on a 4-5 year deal.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I hope we hang on to him with all we have . He's just become so valuable in every way and I'd hate to lose him.

Confidence is such a huge thing with Michael and so I really hope Brad doesn't drag this out as it wasn't long ago that Michael felt he didn't have a future here. I remember the fan playing some interviews of Michael and you could just hear in his voice how much it meant to be a flame for him.

How can you not hang onto a selke award candidate?
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #13
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's the only important guy to re-sign next summer unless Bennett signs a 1 year. Flames currently have all their key pieces except him and Bennett locked up and have 20 mil in cap space for next season + the escalator.

Knows the system, in his prime, fits in the room. Going to be a selke candidate for the next half decade. Tonnes of cap space.

Has to be re-signed. Anything else is a major fail unless he's asking for like 8 million bucks which seems almost impossible.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #14
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only way I'd consider trade Backlund is if Bennett is absolutely dominant from the get-go, AND Jankowski makes the team and doesn't miss a beat. Only way that happens IMO is an injury to one or more of Monahan, Backlund, and Stajan. Even then, I'd prefer to hang onto Backlund, push someone to the wing and roll 4 lines of excellent C depth. Plus we can easily afford him next off-season.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #15
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
Plus we can easily afford him next off-season.
Except that salaries are long term commitments and not something that you can look at in a one year isolation. You have to look at how the contract fits for the length of the contract. The problem won't be next summer, it will be the one after that, when Tkachuk, Bennett (assuming he does a two year deal this summer), and Lazar become RFAs, and then the following summer when Brodie, Hamonic, and Stone become UFAs. Backlund may be affordable next summer, but how does that contract fit long term, especially with the young core maturing and coming into their second and third contracts? Glad that Treliving has this to deal with as he's been pretty astute at managing the cap and building a strong squad.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #16
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
If we're out of playoff contention then something has gone terribly wrong and it's time to evaluate whether Backs is part of the problem or part of the solution (more likely the latter). Silver lining is that he'll probably be cheap to re-sign at that point (unless he goes full Selke and the rest of the team is hot garbage).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #17
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Re-sign. Re-sign. Re-sign. Unless his demands are crazy he is a drafted and developed Flame who is a potential Selke candidate for many years to come. You need a strong two way center to be a contender. Prime of his career. He is as core as they get.
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greybeard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #18
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am hoping we still see a Backlund extension before the season starts. Tre just has to get Bennett and Jagr put to bed first!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #19
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
I am hoping we still see a Backlund extension before the season starts. Tre just has to get Bennett and Jagr put to bed first!
I'd be looking to put up another Selke caliber season before letting my agent discuss anything contract related.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #20
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
I'd be looking to put up another Selke caliber season before letting my agent discuss anything contract related.

According to reports both sides opened discussions about an extension in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: