Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2017, 03:56 AM   #41
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

20 games and 5-10 points with him likely staying out of the lineup on most nights and only being an injury replacement,

Would be thrilled if he could make the team but I don't think he will make it as a full time player this season.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:38 AM   #42
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
20 games and 5-10 points with him likely staying out of the lineup on most nights and only being an injury replacement,

Would be thrilled if he could make the team but I don't think he will make it as a full time player this season.
So you see him as the 13th man sitting in the press box? That's what Treliving traded a 2rd round pick for? Because he's waiver eligable, so he's "made the team" already, just a matter of where he slots in at this point.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #43
jeffmacrealtor
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
All things remaining equal: 40 GP, 7-10 goals, 15-20 points.
Agreed. If he was going be more than just a fourth-liner he would have shown it already in Ottawa. People shouldn't expect much here.
jeffmacrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #44
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
So you see him as the 13th man sitting in the press box? That's what Treliving traded a 2rd round pick for? Because he's waiver eligable, so he's "made the team" already, just a matter of where he slots in at this point.
Yes that's exactly what I see in him. He hasn't impressed me at all. Maybe he shows up to camp a better player, maybe he doesn't. Let's hope he does.

And being waiver eligible doesn't mean he's made the team, he still has to earn that as every player does.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #45
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes that's exactly what I see in him. He hasn't impressed me at all. Maybe he shows up to camp a better player, maybe he doesn't. Let's hope he does.

And being waiver eligible doesn't mean he's made the team, he still has to earn that as every player does.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment, but I agree that the verdict is still out. I think that the flames brass has committed futures for his acquisition, as well as offering him a 2 year contract. I don't see this being a situation where they committed to a player in order to not give him a chance to achieve. If they were looking for a popcorn muncher, why would they look any further the F.Hamilton, who only cost them a 7th round? Unless he totally s**ts the bed, I don't see him getting only 20 games this year; it could be argued that Lazar slots in as Bouma's replacement, which puts him closer to the 60 game mark. And of course he has to earn it, no question.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #46
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I respectfully disagree with your assessment, but I agree that the verdict is still out. I think that the flames brass has committed futures for his acquisition, as well as offering him a 2 year contract. I don't see this being a situation where they committed to a player in order to not give him a chance to achieve. If they were looking for a popcorn muncher, why would they look any further the F.Hamilton, who only cost them a 7th round? Unless he totally s**ts the bed, I don't see him getting only 20 games this year; it could be argued that Lazar slots in as Bouma's replacement, which puts him closer to the 60 game mark. And of course he has to earn it, no question.
I think you're putting too much stock in what the flames gave up for him. Don't think that'll mater when the coach evaluates his game and decides if he's good enough to be a regular on this team.

They're obviously not looking for a popcorn muncher and he will get his chance. But my opinion as related to the thread title are very low expectations for Lazar.

And he doesn't need to completely crap the bed to be a popcorn muncher, he was one last season so he needs to be a lot better if he wants to be a regular NHLer.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #47
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Honest question here: What don't you like? Please be specific.

I honestly haven't seen enough of his play to make any definitive statements, so I'm curious what you saw.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #48
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Honest question here: What don't you like? Please be specific.

I honestly haven't seen enough of his play to make any definitive statements, so I'm curious what you saw.
Likely the same things the Senators coaching staff saw and what the Flames staff saw last season to keep him out the lineup most nights.

He doesn't have a high hockey IQ. Works hard but not very smart. I see him topping off as a 3/4th line tweener who can kill penalties but not much more.

And I've watched him since his junior days. Always seemed to do well because his energy but I don't think that a player like him can be as effective in the NHL just on energy.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #49
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I just don't want to see this kid make the team and then sit a healthy scratch like Hathaway , F Hamilton last year.

Get him playing again. Not playing and or scratched helps nobody.

I like this guy and he has some jam. He competes and has some good wheels.

I'd say he could put up Better numbers than Boumas best year and not by fluke.

Play him and I think you see 35-50 pts....I think that realistic.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #50
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're putting too much stock in what the flames gave up for him. Don't think that'll mater when the coach evaluates his game and decides if he's good enough to be a regular on this team.

They're obviously not looking for a popcorn muncher and he will get his chance. But my opinion as related to the thread title are very low expectations for Lazar.

And he doesn't need to completely crap the bed to be a popcorn muncher, he was one last season so he needs to be a lot better if he wants to be a regular NHLer.
I don't think I'm putting too much stock in what they gave up for him at all. Thats how trades work. If his perceived value to the organization is greater then what it costs to aquire him, then you make the trade. That becomes a measuring stick to evaluate the players worth or, at least, his percieved value. And I agree with you that he needs to earn his spot, that's professional hockey. But as for the comment that you followed him in Juniors and weren't really impressed, I copied part of his wiki profile for reference because it puts his potential upside in prospective.

In February 2011, Lazar captained Team British Columbia to win the gold medal in ice hockey at the 2011 Canada Winter Games.[2] He broke the tournament goal scoring record previously set by Steven Stamkos (12) and Sidney Crosby's points mark (17) in six games.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying he is a Crosby or stamkos in disguise. And admittedly, Ottawa didn't go well for him, no question, but this is more a comment on fit then the player in my opinion. Also, Ottawa wasn't a goal scoring Dynamo this year, a team that had to rely on a boring trap style game to continue to advance through the playoffs. I just don't think those tactics lend themselves to lazar's style of play, which you tag quite accurately as hgh energy (by extension high tempo)

So we will agree to disagree, and I am sure we are both hoping for the best. I just think that at the end of the day, he gets way more runway then 20 games that you alluded to. Also, as for not being in the lineup last year, there was a zero percent chance the coach was going to mess with the chemistry that was going on when Lazar was aquired, which was right in the middle of their winning streak and playoff push. You never mess with that kinda roll by moving in an unknown entity that is adjusting to a drastically different system.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #51
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll chime in again with something more qualitative.

I expect Lazar to be a fan favourite right away. Both because of his on-ice effort level and his off-ice personality. He will play a full season and I think this town will fall in love with him!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #52
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also - to keep up the ridiculous comparison due to so many posters hating the 2nd round pick we spent on him, I fully expect Curtis Lazar to help the Calgary Flames more this year than Alex Formenton -> The player the Senators drafted with what would have been the Flames #47th overall pick.

I will track this over the course of the next few years just to see if we truly gave up too much! (Of course we have no idea whom the Flames would have picked...but you have to settle on A GUY. He's THE GUY).
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #53
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm hoping for a bounce back 30-35pt campaign at the least. The guy didn't even have enough gas to play a full game last year. I think a good off season and change of scenery gets him back on track.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 AM   #54
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

10 goals 15 assists.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #55
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Generally speaking, the best 3rd and 4th liners tend to have been very successful players in Junior. If he puts up 13 - 13 this year like Sam Benett did last year I think we'd be happy with him.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

He played more games last season while recovering from mono. I don't think there is a realistic scenario barring injury that he does not play at least 40 NHL games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #57
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

i really have no idea what to expect from Lazar. At first glance, looking at his nhl numbers to date, and what you read about him, i'd say a bottom 6 forward who plays with some grit and can kill some penalties.

However, when i look at the price the flames paid for him, it's hard not to think they expect more. Come offseason time, you'd think bottom 6 forwards can be had pretty cheap if all you are expecting is some bottom 6/PK time??
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #58
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He played more games last season while recovering from mono. I don't think there is a realistic scenario barring injury that he does not play at least 40 NHL games.
What if gets outplayed in camp by some of the current AHLers? Do you think team would keep him up because of contract and acquisition cost?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What if gets outplayed in camp by some of the current AHLers? Do you think team would keep him up because of contract and acquisition cost?
I don't believe that to be likely. In the improbable event that this happens I suppose it is possible that Lazar is kept on the roster for contract reasons, but when dealing with young, bottom six players it probably would not make a significant difference which of Lazar, Klimchuk, or Poirier is playing 8–10 mins a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #60
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Lazar hasn't been the biggest scorer anywhere he's played really. 50+ points is a massive stretch to those who are projecting it.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post: