Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2017, 12:29 AM   #41
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kulak>Bartkowski. I hope Bartkowski doesn't see the NHL again, at least in a Flames uniform.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:53 AM   #42
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Kulak>Bartkowski. I hope Bartkowski doesn't see the NHL again, at least in a Flames uniform.
That's how I feel about Wotherspoon
Old 08-29-2017, 01:49 AM   #43
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still am reminded of Ryan Culkin when I think of Kulak.
They seemed such similar players once upon a yesteryear. He had some ill luck with injuries I seem to recall.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #44
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
But giving up a lower NHL salary in exchange for more AHL money is not the same as the player "pushing hard for the minimum".

I still maintain a player should not be actively lobbying for less money in hopes of giving him a better chance at an NHL job. If the team is tying the coaches hands so much such that a $175K difference in salary is a factor in not putting the best possible players on the ice, then I'd be concerned.
If my client is junk I'm pretty forceful on the AHL contract.

If my client is three years away I get the most I can for the NHL contract because I'll be negotiating off of it in three years.

If my client is a true tweener and ready to take a full time NHL job I convince him it's best to not let $200k be the difference between a winter in Calgary and a winter in Stockton.

His agent knows this is a bottom roster decision, so it's not really a best player on the ice issue as much as not spending unneeded money on a depth player.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 08:37 AM   #45
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
But giving up a lower NHL salary in exchange for more AHL money is not the same as the player "pushing hard for the minimum".

I still maintain a player should not be actively lobbying for less money in hopes of giving him a better chance at an NHL job. If the team is tying the coaches hands so much such that a $175K difference in salary is a factor in not putting the best possible players on the ice, then I'd be concerned.
The team is trying to ice the best possible roster. Saving cap room allows them to do this by addressing concerns that they view are greater than who play 11 minutes on the third defensive pairing.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #46
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
A great signing for the Flames but with his waiver status they may have to be careful coming out of training camp. I sort of expect him to be cut early now to dodge a claim. Odd because I also see him pencilled in the the top 6 roster spots... time will tell. Can't wait for camp!
Perhaps they feel that Andersson will compete with him for that #6 spot
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty interesting. I agree his waiver status means that he might not make the team out of camp. That said, we tend to make a lot out of waivers. If Kulak can't hang on to a 6-7 position, how many other teams want him?

Kulak's interview was pretty good - he knows his weak point (consistency). He's changed his diet and has been training all summer except for one week.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #48
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Very little chance Andersson plays in the third pair, as Stone is a righty and so is Rasmus. GG loves his pairings to be opposites, hence why I feel Kulak has the inside track.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #49
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Very little chance Andersson plays in the third pair, as Stone is a righty and so is Rasmus. GG loves his pairings to be opposites, hence why I feel Kulak has the inside track.
I get the RHD/LHD pairings that Gulutzan prefers, but if Rasmus gets a look being paired with Stone in camp and they impress, it's not impossible that he gets the spot
Old 08-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #50
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
If my client is junk I'm pretty forceful on the AHL contract.

If my client is three years away I get the most I can for the NHL contract because I'll be negotiating off of it in three years.

If my client is a true tweener and ready to take a full time NHL job I convince him it's best to not let $200k be the difference between a winter in Calgary and a winter in Stockton.

His agent knows this is a bottom roster decision, so it's not really a best player on the ice issue as much as not spending unneeded money on a depth player.
You can be forceful on the AHL contract without pushing hard for a minimum NHL deal.

I would be very disappointed if the team would let $175k stand between icing the best team possible. The bottom pairing and 4th line can easily make the difference between winning and losing. Why else would the Flames already be spending so much money on those positions?

I'd be disappointed if signing Jagr or other decisions force the team to lose all flexibility in assembling the best roster.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #51
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You can be forceful on the AHL contract without pushing hard for a minimum NHL deal.

I would be very disappointed if the team would let $175k stand between icing the best team possible. The bottom pairing and 4th line can easily make the difference between winning and losing. Why else would the Flames already be spending so much money on those positions?

I'd be disappointed if signing Jagr or other decisions force the team to lose all flexibility in assembling the best roster.
Many have argued that signing Jagr would make the team better, thus assembling the best possible roster.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #52
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Your concern to me is only valid if you think the Flames will add a guy that they believe won't make them better.

Can't see the logic in that.

Can certainly make an argument that you think said player won't help them, but to assume they will sign say Jagr even though they don't see him doing much thus screwing a 6th defenseman into a season in the AHL in order to keep a lesser player.

This is a case of the team and the player working on a roster fit that should see his NHL time go up because a limitation is removed.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #53
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Still think Bartkowski is the favorite for that #6 spot, with Kulak likely for #7 and Wotherspoon the waiver wire until a player earns that upgrade. I feel like some posters are in denial about this but the coaching staff didn't hate what Bartkowski was able to do at the end of last year. Played physical and stood up for teammates while minimizing bad plays (last point is debatable for sure but the first two are not)

I think that is what they were looking for in Grossman but he played terribly and lost the spot Bartkowski earned later in the season.

I also don't think our staff would hesitate giving the spot to the right handed Anderson or even Maki if they earn it over the other options.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #54
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

capfriendly reporting Kulak's AHL salary as $125k. A modest increase from his $70k for his ELC.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: