Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #21
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Poll: Do the Flames have the best defense in the NHL?

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/08/28/...se-in-the-nhl/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #22
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted "no", if only to not anger the hockey gods.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default NHL Network: Top 20 NHL Defencemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I voted "no", if only to not anger the hockey gods.

I still don't believe the Flames defense is as good as Nashville's, but I think I would rank it ahead of Anaheim.

In any event, the Flames have easily a top-five defense, if not top-two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #24
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

And of course some obnoxious mullet head from up North has to mention McDavid and the Oilers in the comments. I guess you have to mention anything positive about your team when you were the laughing stock of pro sports for a decade.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #25
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

What every article on the Flames defense fails to mention is that our biggest addition was actually a subtraction. Wideman. I will try to remember him for stepping up in 2015, but last season he hurt the Flames on a variety of levels.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #26
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
What every article on the Flames defense fails to mention is that our biggest addition was actually a subtraction. Wideman. I will try to remember him for stepping up in 2015, but last season he hurt the Flames on a variety of levels.
Yeah I am pretty giddy at the lack of Wideman in our lineup this year.. whoo!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #27
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On paper. I would say 3rd overall with potential to move up or down depending on the actual results (obviously). If Brodie can bounce back playing with Hamonic and Gio/Ham pairing is the same as last year I would say that should certainly put the Flames in contention for first.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, the best defense on paper (and on the ice) went to the Cup Final last season.

The Flames might be near the top on paper, but plenty of teams have had good rosters on paper only to falter that very season.

Having said that, offensively I think they are the best. Defensively, not as much. But as an overall group they have potential to be top 3. Just have to prove it on the ice.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 08-29-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #29
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow no. A 1000 times no to the poll question. Sure if everyone has a great season they could be in the conversation. But, look at how the players all did individually last year. Everyone except Dougie trended down.

Gio: getting older, still a top guy ,likely to slow a little again this year

Brodie: Disaster of a season: excuses can be made but good is good and bad is bad. Should bounce back next year but............

....Hamonic: pretty ugly season for him too made worse with injury trouble. Likely paired with Brodie, AND if he struggles to learn Gulutzuns "complicated" system or struggles at all, well, we'll have our new wippin boy.

Stone: Bad season until he joined the flames, hopefully his injury trouble is in the past and he's not as bad as some claim he really is.

Dougie: A+ trending way up.

So if everyone has equal seasons to what they had last year we're probably in the conversation somewhere around the top 10. F*** commas

If Brodie and Hamonic goes reasonable well we could be top 5

If Gio finds the fountain of Youth and Brodie-Hamonic rediscover their peak form. While Stone is solid and Dougie continues his progress. Sure, #1/#2

That's alot of players having bounce back seasons. Top 10 for me on paper but that's likely worst case. Next to Gio completely losing his game.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:42 PM   #30
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ That's a tad over-dramatic.

Gio and Hamilton were one of the best all around pairings in the league last year.

If Brodie bounces back (at this point I don't think it's a stretch to think the down season was an anomaly) and he meshes with Hamonic, there's a good chance that makes up of the deepest blue-lines in the league.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:58 PM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
...So if everyone has equal seasons to what they had last year we're probably in the conversation somewhere around the top 10. F*** commas

If Gio finds the fountain of Youth and Brodie-Hamonic rediscover their peak form. While Stone is solid and Dougie continues his progress. Sure, #1/#2

That's alot of players having bounce back seasons. Top 10 for me on paper but that's likely worst case. Next to Gio completely losing his game.
"Fountain of youth"?? Giordano doesn't have to do a thing differently and he and Hamilton should once again perform as the best defensive pair in the NHL.

All Hamonic has to do is to outplay Wideman and the Flames defence is instantly significantly improved.

This is over exaggerated pessimism.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #32
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Wow no. A 1000 times no to the poll question. Sure if everyone has a great season they could be in the conversation. But, look at how the players all did individually last year. Everyone except Dougie trended down.

Gio: getting older, still a top guy ,likely to slow a little again this year

Brodie: Disaster of a season: excuses can be made but good is good and bad is bad. Should bounce back next year but............

....Hamonic: pretty ugly season for him too made worse with injury trouble. Likely paired with Brodie, AND if he struggles to learn Gulutzuns "complicated" system or struggles at all, well, we'll have our new wippin boy.

Stone: Bad season until he joined the flames, hopefully his injury trouble is in the past and he's not as bad as some claim he really is.

Dougie: A+ trending way up.

So if everyone has equal seasons to what they had last year we're probably in the conversation somewhere around the top 10. F*** commas

I can't get past this tourettes-like outburst.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 AM   #33
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #34
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Hes still a free agent, don't jinx it!
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #35
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
"Fountain of youth"?? Giordano doesn't have to do a thing differently and he and Hamilton should once again perform as the best defensive pair in the NHL.

All Hamonic has to do is to outplay Wideman and the Flames defence is instantly significantly improved.

This is over exaggerated pessimism.
In the Flames last 4 games they were the 3 rd best or maybe 4th best out of 4 pairings. Were they better than Brodie-Stone?

There was not one game that they took control of the game like the top pairing in the league would be expected to do on a regular basis in important games.

Whoever the Ducks put out with Lindholm was the best pairing and the second best was whoever was out with Manson. The supporting list was not that great on paper: Theodore/Montour/Bieksa/Holzer.

They were not close to the best defense pair in the league in the 4 most important games of the year. They were really good against Dallas, LA, Colorado ... teams playing out the season.

Byfuglien - Melechori were pretty dominant in the Jets last 12 games when they made their meaningless out of the playoffs winning streak. Melechori has an outside chance of being the Jets #7 this season.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #36
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
In the Flames last 4 games they were the 3 rd best or maybe 4th best out of 4 pairings. Were they better than Brodie-Stone?

There was not one game that they took control of the game like the top pairing in the league would be expected to do on a regular basis in important games.

Whoever the Ducks put out with Lindholm was the best pairing and the second best was whoever was out with Manson. The supporting list was not that great on paper: Theodore/Montour/Bieksa/Holzer.

They were not close to the best defense pair in the league in the 4 most important games of the year. They were really good against Dallas, LA, Colorado ... teams playing out the season.

Byfuglien - Melechori were pretty dominant in the Jets last 12 games when they made their meaningless out of the playoffs winning streak. Melechori has an outside chance of being the Jets #7 this season.
Gio and Hamilton were one of the top pairings in the league last season.
Charts and stats have been posted several times showing that. Doesn't matter how much you have voiced your dislike for Hamilton, it's not gonna change that fact haha.
It typically isn't up to a D pairing to "take over a game". That will be done by your forwards and a team in whole. The pairings job is to shut down top lines, get the puck up the ice and chip in offensively. Gio and Hamilton did this, and they did it well
Old 08-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #37
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

My own personal prediction, is that with Hamonic on his pairing. people are going to blown away by the TJ Brodie we see this year - I think he is going to take his game to a whole new level!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #38
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

It would be useful to see some numbers, figures or any actual proof of these bald assertions.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #39
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It would be useful to see some numbers, figures or any actual proof of these bald assertions.
Good luck with that ...
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #40
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

A lot of people say the Ducks have better D but I really don't think they do. Today, the Flames are better #1-5.

Giordano > Fowler
Hamilton > Lindholm
Brodie > Vatanen
Hamonic > Manson at this point in time
Stone > Montour at this point in time
Kulak/Bartkowski < Holzer/Bieksa
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote