Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lack Eager To Get Started

Quote:
"I'm just extremely happy. Super-excited. I was kind hoping I'd wind up in Calgary when I got traded from Vancouver two years ago.

"I've heard so many good things about the organization. The goalie coach you've got there, Siggy (Jordan Sigalet). I've heard endless good stuff about him.

"Obviously I know Gully (Glen Gulutzan) from my time in Vancouver, as well. It seems like a great fit."
Quote:
"The hockey interest there, the fans, it's something I thrive in,'' says Lack cheerily. "I really like the tension of playing in a Canadian city, the fans pumping you up when you're down. That's what I'm used to. That kind of atmosphere really helps.

"The fans they have in Carolina are great and they're loud. But there aren't as many of them as there are in Calgary. Or there are for any other team in Canada, for that matter.

"That's definitely something I've missed."
Quote:
The Smith-Lack tandem, by the way, isn't quite starting from scratch.

"I've known him for four or five years,'' Lack says. "We spent a little time in the summer together, in Vancouver. We've been texting a little bit back and forth now, too.

"Feels like we're both happy about this opportunity."
This is my favorite part of the article. Show's the mentality of the team is they want to finally start making some real noise in the West.

Quote:
That degree of organizational and supporter ambition, says Lack, is fine - no, welcomed - by him.

"I talked to Brad about that. It was like: 'We want to win. And we want to win now.' Obviously that's something I want to be a part of. I played against most of those guys a lot. It seems like a great group of guys. First and foremost there's a lot of good hockey players there.
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/lack...ry/c-290237924
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Pretty interesting quote from him on the goalie coach, "I've heard so many good things about the organization. The goalie coach you've got there, Siggy (Jordan Sigalet). I've heard endless good stuff about him.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"I really like the tension of playing in a Canadian city, the fans pumping you up when you're down. That's what I'm used to. That kind of atmosphere really helps.
Really? Thats not how its done in Vancouver...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that Treliving is giving that message loud and clear to all his players!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Pretty interesting quote from him on the goalie coach, "I've heard so many good things about the organization. The goalie coach you've got there, Siggy (Jordan Sigalet). I've heard endless good stuff about him.
I would have expected some actual communication between the two by now, considering their working relationship. Even if it were just casual.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well he certainly doesn't lack enthusiasm.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I would have expected some actual communication between the two by now, considering their working relationship. Even if it were just casual.
This article is from June 30th, right after the trade

I suspect they have by now
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
And just proves that we as fans know nothing of how the league, the Flames and the coaches feel about his ability at his position.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I think that quote is from right after the trade.

Last edited by Zevo; 08-09-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: covered by hitterd
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #10
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
This article is from June 30th, right after the trade

I suspect they have by now
My bad.

Still working on my first cup of coffee.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those quotes are legendary.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want to be a Debbie downer, but, what else would you expect him to say? While I will concede that perhaps he really wanted to be here, or perhaps it was the best offer he was given.

Same with his thoughts on sigalet - once again I will conceded that perhaps he is a great goalie coach - but once again, what else is lack going to say.

I am not going to put much stock in what a player does or does not say in the media. The ultimate proof is on the ice.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Lazing out on the balcony, the Bay of Naples spreading out in front of him in a kind of right-off-the-pages-of-Condé-Nast perfection, Eddie Lack was blissfully taking it all in.
george johnson does this in absolutely every article, the ole smart guy reference in the first paragraph trick.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I don't want to be a Debbie downer, but, what else would you expect him to say? While I will concede that perhaps he really wanted to be here, or perhaps it was the best offer he was given.

Same with his thoughts on sigalet - once again I will conceded that perhaps he is a great goalie coach - but once again, what else is lack going to say.

I am not going to put much stock in what a player does or does not say in the media. The ultimate proof is on the ice.
Yes, yes, "walk the talk", "proof is in the pudding", "the Stanley Cup isn't won in the off season", "you earn your pay in the spring", "talk is cheap" and so forth.

Still doesn't change that it's nice when a player openly has a positive outlook on coming to the team and the teams potential. Not every player does say all the right things, and not every player has as much personality as Lack seems to exude, so it's refreshing that he's a Flame. Let's just be excited that he's excited
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #15
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could eat a taco with this guy!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
george johnson does this in absolutely every article, the ole smart guy reference in the first paragraph trick.
I am not particularly fond of his articles. Once you get past his openings they’re ok but then you have to look forward to the closings. Better than anything I could write so I’ve just kept my mouth shut until now :|
Cycling76er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
I could eat a taco with this guy!
That's what she...

No
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #18
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? Thats not how its done in Vancouver...
I was actually going to comment that Lack is in for a surprise if he experiences some extended "downs" while playing for the Flames from the fans and it certainly won't be to attempt to prop him up. Elliott during his slump, Hiller, etc.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #19
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

He could have just said the usual platitudes that you hear players saying when they change teams: 'good future', 'excited to be a part', 'looking forward to starting fresh'.

This was a bit more than that. Maybe Lack is way more exuberant than other players are, but the fact that he went and singled-out Sigalet as someone to actually mention by name leads me to believe that Sigalet is probably more highly thought of league-wide than most fans seem to be aware of. He didn't need to mention him at all. In fact, when was the last time you ever heard of a recently acquired goalie going out of his way and giving a shout-out to the goalie coach? I never have personally anyways.

I myself was very surprised he mentioned Sigalet, and I do think that it shows something. Not a single out-going goalie has blamed Sigalet for anything, and now an incoming goalie who is looking forward to working with Sigalet. It doesn't mean that much, but it is probably some insight into Sigalet's reputation around the league.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #20
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
In fact, when was the last time you ever heard of a recently acquired goalie going out of his way and giving a shout-out to the goalie coach? I never have personally anyways.
It may be a bit more personal for Lack. When he went to Carolina the goalie coach there completely changed Lack's game from being a deep in the crease position guy to playing a more aggressive style that relied on strong skating and really learning new angles that were completely different to how he's ever played. Lack isn't a strong skating goaltender and his numbers simply tanked as he was not capable of playing that style. When he started to go back to how he played under Melanson (ignoring Canes coaching) his numbers began to rebound. Then he ran into injury issues.

Quote:
“It’s different,” Lack said. “Rollie [his goaltending coach in Vancouver] was 100 percent about you live and die in the paint. Here they want me to challenge more. I’m not going to lie, it’s been an adjustment. At times, it’s been really hard. Sometimes I catch myself in games looking down to see where I am in the crease because I have no idea where I am."
https://cardiaccane.com/2017/03/14/c...e-their-fault/

If Sigalet takes the approach to use the goaltenders strength and modify the tenders game appropriate to that skill set you have a good chance of seeing a very strong backup in Lack.

Last edited by ernie; 08-10-2017 at 07:33 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post: