Old 08-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Surprised that Kylington didn't get more focus on his decision making
I'm pleasantly surprised.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well written, nicely detailed write-ups. I thought the Kylington piece in particular was really well done.

Good list overall. I think virtually everyone would agree that those 8 are right ones to focus on. The biggest argument would probably be Parsons, as the vast majority think he is 1st or 2nd. But, goalies...
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I've seen a few opinions of Parsons, and then a big drop off

That's something I simply don't see. I have it the 8 you are referring too as all having star potential, and you hope three of them find upper roster positions. If so the team is in great shape going forward.

I do see Parsons as the best chance in net, but Gillies is far from relegated.
I think on the blueline they have four guys that project to top four.
The forwards are less defined ... smaller wingers, a potentially limited offensive center; more question marks.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice article. Think Gillies gets sold a little short, but the top six or seven prospects are all close. I would like to see some pro play from Parsons and Valimaki, but I can understand why people are so high on both of them. Future looks bright.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is really difficult to judge goaltenders though as there have been so many who have looked like all stars in their junior careers and had great world junior championships, yet they haven't been able to follow that up with a great pro career. Look at Jonathan Bernier and Zach Fucale, both of whom were great junior players - but neither have been able to make their mark in the NHL beyond a 1B role. He could turn out to be the next great goaltender and the potential is there but there are also question marks.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #8
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
It is really difficult to judge goaltenders though as there have been so many who have looked like all stars in their junior careers and had great world junior championships, yet they haven't been able to follow that up with a great pro career. Look at Jonathan Bernier and Zach Fucale, both of whom were great junior players - but neither have been able to make their mark in the NHL beyond a 1B role. He could turn out to be the next great goaltender and the potential is there but there are also question marks.
Exactly. Scouting Goalies is Voodoo, and I often have them a bit lower than others. I tend to favor skaters as they seem to translate that potential much more consistently.

I mean for every Carey Price there is a Jack Campbell, and there are so many stories of late round picks like Henrik Lundqvist becoming elite.

New article every day.
Commandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #9
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

An Adam Fox caliber prospect is (arbitrarily) 7th on our list. Ridiculous.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its a huge IF, but if our D prospects can emerge as projected, you could see a defenseman moved in a year or so for an elite winger.

That could be a game changer.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #11
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Exactly. Scouting Goalies is Voodoo, and I often have them a bit lower than others. I tend to favor skaters as they seem to translate that potential much more consistently.

I mean for every Carey Price there is a Jack Campbell, and there are so many stories of late round picks like Henrik Lundqvist becoming elite.

It's true goalies are tough to predict and Jack Campbell was a high pick, but during his 2 years in the OHL he had an average save percentage of .894. Parsons had an average of .917.

I realize this doesn't take into account a number of other factors but my favorite things about Parsons as a prospect is that a) he has elevated his game at the most important times and b) he has shown progression year over year.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Its a huge IF, but if our D prospects can emerge as projected, you could see a defenseman moved in a year or so for an elite winger.

Given the pipeline you'd have to think one or both of Stone and Hamonic will be dealt before they play the last year of their contracts.

The left side is more complicated (Kylington, Valimaki) because you're talking Giordano or Brodie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Rasmussen becomes top 4 material, trade Hamonic for Ovi
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #14
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So I read this list this morning and noticed that you'd released Toronto's top 8 as well. I see that you have Liljegren as their top guy and had him projected to go 9th, vs Valimaki projected to go 18th.

For the more knowledgeable folks on here, how would you compare Liljegren to Valimaki? They of course were picked back to back and any hypothetical discussion about who whether or not we make the right or wrong pick is irrelevant and frankly not worthwhile.

I'm not trying to draw parallels between their games or even argue which about who is better at this time, I more want to draw attention to how close apart they were picked and how Liljegren fell so far from his pre-season projections.

Do folks on here believe that his illness, which railroaded his season, and thus a year of development, will have any longterm adverse effects on his potential as a player? Does Valimaki have a higher baseline? Does Liljegren have a higher ceiling?

Further motivation to this post lies in the fact that I now live in Toronto and have heard a lot about how the Flames were stupid to have passed Liljegren by which at this point is an extremely premature jibe.

Last edited by Charsiu; 08-11-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Really outstanding work Commandant, great attention to detail.

I always wonder about goalie prospects because they take so long to develop and so few actually become impact starters.

Frankly I'm still pretty high on Gilles because I think he's just physically a match for what we see in the really solid goalies in the NHL. He's that big rangy looking kid with very good first save potential.

I certainly don't think he's out of the conversation by any stretch but injuries and some inconsistencies which I expect from young goaltenders have dimmed his reputation.

The one thing that just really stands out to me with Parsons, well two things. His net front movement really reminds me of Kipper, and his never surrender on the save mentality really reminds me of Kipper.

It will be interesting to see how the up coming log jam at defense plays out, but I do agree with Bingo, I think Stone especially won't make it through his whole contract here.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-11-2017 at 11:18 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
Commandant
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
An Adam Fox caliber prospect is (arbitrarily) 7th on our list. Ridiculous.
How is that ridiculous?

Where would you have had him?

New article every day.
Commandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #17
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
How is that ridiculous?

Where would you have had him?
Think he's referring to the team's prospect depth being "ridiculously good" through 7 players.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: