Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #201
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not to be to too much of a downer but a draft looking stunning a year out is really typical. The luster starts to come off in 2-3 years when guys start turning pro and the real challenges begin. So many guys previously or currently being part of world junior teams look great though.

Falkovsky was an overaged 7th rounder but being cut loose so fast is still puzzling.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #202
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Just a quick reminder of the 2016 draft...

#6... Tkachuk
#54.. Parsons
#56.. Dube
#66.. Fox
#96.. Lindstrom
#126 Tuulola
#166 Phillips
#186 Falkovsky

un-fricking-real
Every player on that list would draft higher which is incredible
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #203
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Every player on that list would draft higher which is incredible
And some like Parsons, Fox and Phillips would likely be 30 spots higher or more.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #204
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Certainly takes some of the sting out of the picks traded recently for Elliott/Stone/Smith/Hamonic when you see that sort of quality in the pipeline, coupled with the recent drafting of Valimaki and signing of Foo. Tre wouldn't be trading those picks without this kind of prospect depth.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:21 AM   #205
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables16 View Post
Certainly takes some of the sting out of the picks traded recently for Elliott/Stone/Smith/Hamonic when you see that sort of quality in the pipeline, coupled with the recent drafting of Valimaki and signing of Foo. Tre wouldn't be trading those picks without this kind of prospect depth.
I think it was for that very reason that Treliving was willing to give up picks for Hamonic. If the 2016 draft wasn't such a great success like it looks, pretty sure we wouldn't have traded our picks. I'm really impressed with what the scouting crew has done in the past few drafts given that we haven't picked in the 1st round in 2015 and 2017.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #206
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think it was for that very reason that Treliving was willing to give up picks for Hamonic. If the 2016 draft wasn't such a great success like it looks, pretty sure we wouldn't have traded our picks. I'm really impressed with what the scouting crew has done in the past few drafts given that we haven't picked in the 1st round in 2015 and 2017.
It was just 2015 we didn't pick in the first.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #207
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yep - re 2017 - Jusso Valimaki says hi!
Old 08-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #208
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

While i agree our drafting is light years ahead of where it used to be not drafting until the 4th next season and not having a 2nd and 3rd(?) The season after is going to cause a lull in the prospect pool in 4-5 years when we will be relying on cheap cost controlled players.

That being said I make that Hamonic trade any day and if all goes to plan next year's 1st will be in the 28-31 range!

Last edited by Samonadreau; 08-07-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #209
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Finland casts Valimaki in leading role,"

https://www.nhl.com/news/finland-cas...le/c-290586936

https://flameforthought.com/2017/08/...ptain-finland/
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Par For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #210
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Nothing new in the first article except for the fact it's now being highlighted on NHL.com which will have people take notice of him and also realize he may have been a steal for the Flames at the draft. Love it!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #211
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
It was just 2015 we didn't pick in the first.
Was already thinking of 2018 with the Hamonic trade.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #212
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Valimaki could add some quick acceleration to his first couple steps he's gonna be a no.1. When he brings the puck out from behind his own net into the neutral zone he leaves the opposition in his wake. Was super impressed by that. Also funny that he is considered the "safe pick" with a lower ceiling, kid has all the tools with the IQ to match.

Last edited by Beninho; 08-07-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #213
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
If Valimaki could add some quick acceleration to his first couple steps he's gonna be a no.1. When he brings the puck out from behind his own net into the neutral zone he leaves the opposition in his wake. Was super impressed by that. Also funny that he is considered the "safe pick" with a lower ceiling, kid has all the tools with the IQ to match.
Don't think the lower ceiling was in any scouting reports I read. Tod Button said he's got 1st pairing upside. Not sure where this lower ceiling idea came from exactly. I see a very high upside with him. Flames had him in their top 11 this year. IMO he's the most highly regarded defense prospect we've drafted since Phaneuf. Of course Brodie came to develop into a monster but I'm talking how well they were regarded within a year of being drafted.

I think the fan base and writers are being a bit lowball with their expectations of him with where they've ranked him. I think his potential is a lot higher than Andersson. That said it's a good psychological trick. Don't expect too much and then you'll be pleasantly surprised when he comes to really impress.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #214
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
All I know is that Valmaki is looking like he might be as good if not better than Juolevi, that the Canucks took at 5th overall in the 2016 draft - and that makes me smile!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #215
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Don't think the lower ceiling was in any scouting reports I read. Tod Button said he's got 1st pairing upside. Not sure where this lower ceiling idea came from exactly. I see a very high upside with him. Flames had him in their top 11 this year. IMO he's the most highly regarded defense prospect we've drafted since Phaneuf. Of course Brodie came to develop into a monster but I'm talking how well they were regarded within a year of being drafted.

I think the fan base and writers are being a bit lowball with their expectations of him with where they've ranked him. I think his potential is a lot higher than Andersson. That said it's a good psychological trick. Don't expect too much and then you'll be pleasantly surprised when he comes to really impress.
I think the perception of Valimaki's "low ceiling" is probably driven by the fact that Timothy Liljegren was still on the board. I'm comfortable saying I think Liljegren might have a higher ceiling. But I'm happy with the pick.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #216
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
update:

as was announced at Flames development camp, Tuulola and Valimaki will be attending the Finnish summer camp

The camp runs from July 22nd through July 26th in Finland. At the end of the camp (which includes 2 exhibition games against the Czechs), they will cut the roster down and fly to NA to play Canada, USA, & Sweden in exhibition games.

roster here:
http://leijonat.fi/maajoukkueet/u20/...a-joukkue.html

Finland on defense is very strong on paper. 9 out of the 10 players they are taking to this camp are NHL draft picks but are still missing 1st round picks like Juolevi and Jokiharju. Pretty impressive feat. I think only Canada and Sweden has been able to do this in recent years.

The only other Flames prospect that will likely go to a WJC camp is Ruzicka but I have not been able to find any information about their summer camp or if they are even holding one.
I'm wondering why Juolevi wasn't there?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #217
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder what we'd have to give up to get Brady Tkachuk as well. That would be so fun.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #218
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I wonder what we'd have to give up to get Brady Tkachuk as well. That would be so fun.
Would probably need a top 10 pick next year
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #219
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Would probably need a top 10 pick next year
He's probably going in Matthew's range sadly. Here's hoping he goes far out east. I'd be sick if he ended up in our division.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #220
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
He's probably going in Matthew's range sadly. Here's hoping he goes far out east. I'd be sick if he ended up in our division.
With the Yotes, Vegas, and Nucks I think he could land in the division.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote